European Soccer 2009-10

heernumurr

For the first time since '96 2000, Villa are going to Wembley. That was indeed a crazy game...I was hoping that MON would rest the players if they got a lead, but obviously they were in no position to do so because Blackburn just kept coming and coming and coming. Huge props to Blackburn, they definitely came to play & were up to the task of going into Villa Park & taking the spot. But when Villa turned it on, it was too much. Really a crazy game, the last thing that I expected to see after watching that first leg.

But who cares, VILLA GOES TO WEMBLEY!

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the first time since '96, Villa are going to Wembley. That was indeed a crazy game...I was hoping that MON would rest the players if they got a lead, but obviously they were in no position to do so because Blackburn just kept coming and coming and coming. Huge props to Blackburn, they definitely came to play & were up to the task of going into Villa Park & taking the spot. But when Villa turned it on, it was too much. Really a crazy game, the last thing that I expected to see after watching that first leg.

But who cares, VILLA GOES TO WEMBLEY!

Technically that should be 'for the first time since '96 Villa are in the League Cup final'. They lost in the final FA Cup Final at the old Wembley, to Chelsea, in 2000.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

FA Cup 4th Round news, and Reading beat Burnley, and the Super Saints go marching on, beating Ipswich 2-1. Chelsea beat Preston 2-0, West Brom knock out Newcastle in a top of the championship encounter, Wigan and Wolves come from behind to secure replays against lower league opposition (Notts Co and Crystal Palace respectively), Birmingham and P :cursing: h win all Premiership ties. Villa beat Brighton, a cup double still being on for them. Spurs are kicking off against Leeds now.

In the Premier League, Wayne Rooney beat Hull 4-0. 3 different teams have lead the league in the last week, as Manchester United vault over Arsenal and Chelsea to lead now.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Dumb question, but what if someone outside the Premiership wins the FA Cup? Does their spot in the Europa League automatically go to the highest not in yet in the Premiership?

Nope the Cup Winners go into the Europa League.

Though if a Welsh team wins the FA Cup, I believe they don't go into the Europa League. When Cardiff were in the final a couple of years ago, there final opponents had automatically qualified for the EUFA Cup as it was, by virtue of making the final!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Didn't Milwall qualify for the UEFA Cup from the Championship a couple years ago?

Indeed they did, after losing to Manchester United in the Cup Final. Further back in time, Southampton and West Ham qualified for the Old European Cup Winners Cup by winning the FA Cup out of the old 2nd Division.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

FA Cup update- Leeds and Spurs drew 2-2, with a last minute penalty for Leeds. Arsenal are knocked out though, losing 3-1 at Stoke City. Man City against Scunthorpe next up.

So far, of the big 4, only Chelsea have made the last 16 of this seasons cup.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Though if a Welsh team wins the FA Cup, I believe they don't go into the Europa League. When Cardiff were in the final a couple of years ago, there final opponents had automatically qualified for the EUFA Cup as it was, by virtue of making the final!

Actually, wasn't the FA backpedaling on that? Since Cardiff lost, we never really found out what was going to happen.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Saw highlights of Wayne Rooney's four goal performance against Hull City on ESPNNews. The commentator used some term for a four-goal effort I was unfamiliar with; does anybody know what the proper term for that is (i.e 3 goals= hat trick)?

Saw highlights of Wayne Rooney's four goal performance against Hull City on ESPNNews. The commentator used some term for a four-goal effort I was unfamiliar with; does anybody know what the proper term for that is (i.e 3 goals= hat trick)?

I don't think there is an equivalent of 'hat trick' for a 4 goal performance. (Certainly not one I have ever heard of.)

However in cricket, where the 'hat trick' term originates, 4 wickets in 4 succesive deliveries is known as a 'double hat trick' sometimes. (As a bowler will have taken wickets with balls 1-2-3 (first hat trick) and balls 2-3-4 (second hat trick). Complicated I know!) That wouldn't work in soccer though as a hat trick doesn't mean that a player has scored 3 succesive goals, just 3 goals in one game.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

It seemed like Villa was overdue a goal...then the last 15 minutes hit & Arsenal hit the crossbar once. So yeah, with the way those last 15 minutes went (with Heskey seemingly trying his best to get thrown out of the game at the end there), I'm glad that they got out of there with a point.

Can't wait for the 28th, though. Figures to be a pretty good game, plus it would be pretty cool to possibly directly deny Man U of a trophy. :P

Archived