European Soccer 2009-10

heernumurr

Joleon Lescott left off of Everton squad for Europa League match.

The Lescott-Man City-Everton situation continues to devolve. A perfect example of "When throwing money at someone goes wrong." :P

Also, there's a hot rumor that an EPL manager has been sacked today. Also word that it's not Liverpool's Rafael Benitez since Liverpool all but denied it. So who could it be?

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Lescott-Man City-Everton situation continues to devolve. A perfect example of "When throwing money at someone goes wrong." :P

Also, there's a hot rumor that an EPL manager has been sacked today. Also word that it's not Liverpool's Rafael Benitez since Liverpool all but denied it. So who could it be?

Yeah I think this is a perfect example of player power. To be honest, I think Everton are best off letting Lescott go now. Firstly I think it could make talented youngsters wary of signing for Everton, if they aren't going to be allowed to leave. But mostly Lescott isn't going to give all for the club if he wants to be elsewhere.

Havne't heard any stories of managers being sacked. The most likely managerial change right now would be Paul Hart being booted aside as soon as the Portsmouth takeover gets finished, but that doesn't seem imminent.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

*******Special Saintsfan mid week match update***********

Results

Burnley 1 Manchester United 0 (yep you read that right!)

Hull 1 Spurs 5

Birmingham 1 Portsmouth 0

Liverpool beating Stoke 3-0

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Bottom line- all 3 promoted teams rebound from weekend defeats to win in midweek (Wolves beat Wigan last night), Very good away win for Spurs. Portsmouth looking like they might be in the predicted trouble that many foresore.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Tottenham are looking like a team on a mission this year, they've gotten off to a very nice start. Stoke, on the other hand, look like they've got a case of "wrong place at the wrong time" when it comes to facing Liverpool.

I still can't believe Burnley held on to beat Man U. I mean, granted, United played a bad game. Their finishing was horrendous, Rooney was sending balls that should've at least been a serious threat, only for the forwards to either look at Rooney confused after the ball leaves them or them shoot it wide. Poor passing + terrible finishing = 1-0 defeat. Plus, there's gonna be ton of second guessing for having Carrick take that penalty instead of Rooney (even though Rooney doesn't like taking PKs, apparently.) or Nani.

But big props to Burnley. Their keeper was outstanding, and Robbie Blake scored a tremendous goal that ended up being the game winner. Their defense hung on in the end, they were definitely bending in the back but they caught a second wind once stoppage time came and they were able to put it away. Great win for Burnley.

It is a huge result for Burnley, given that they had lost to Stoke and have a horrible fixture list for the start of the season. Needed some points on the board. United had some big names on the bench today, and Burnley were inspired.

Spurs have made a good start to the season. Odd thing about teams managed by Harry Redknapp is that they either seem to get a poor start to a season and come back strong or they start well and fade a bit.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Huge win for Tottenham. It's very important that they get of to a hot start if they want to stay in it all year. And they won't let Arsenal run away from the start with their huge goal differntial. Oh, and Burnley, Burnley beat Man U. Great start to the season so far, and there has still not been a draw.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I take it there is no punishment for tampering over there?

C'mon... Burnley?... Really guys?... friggin' Burnley???

Ugh.

Manure guy eh? Anyhoo a glorious win for Burnley, which to be honest, I had no expectation that they would pull off this gigantic upset on the Red Devils. Oh, and another item, my 7th place prediction for Manure is coming true! :D

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Watched the highlights of last nights games, and while Tottenham did look very good, Hull's defending was woeful. I think, like Arsenal's opening day result, that they will find it a lot tougher in games to come. At the minute Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal all look like they are the only teams who were actually ready for the season to kick off. Defoe looks great, expect him to be linked with Man Utd if this form keeps up.

Things looked better for Liverpool last night, and I expect them and United to be there or thereabouts pretty soon. If Liverpool can't take the title this year, I hope we at least have 6 or 7 different teams battling it out at the top.

I would suggest Hull might really struggle this year. They had a decent performance against Chelsea on Saturday, but lost, and then fell apart against Spurs. I think they need to keep confidence high, and collect points consistently or they may end up falling away from the rest pretty quickly.

I think it is possible that there might be a decent competition for the top 6 or 7 this season. I don't think the top 4 are quite as far away from the rest as they have been recently, and possibly Spurs, Man City and either Villa or Everton could push close to the top 4.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

For 2 and a half games, Man U scored 1 goal against Birmingham & Burnley, and looked like they'd be on their way to another epic struggle against Wigan. In the 2nd half against Wigan, Rooney scored Goal #100 of his Man U career, Berbatov put one in minutes later, then Rooney put in Goal #101, then Michael Owen scored his first goal as a Red Devil and to cap it all off, Nani scores on a beautiful free kick. 5-0, all five goals coming in one half, terrific stuff. It's not like Wigan's TERRIBLE, it's just that Man U seem to have finally hit their stride and sent an emphatic message to the rest of the league.

Needless to say, crisis averted for the denizens of Old Trafford. :P

EDIT: Lescott FINALLY gets his wish.

For 2 and a half games, Man U scored 1 goal against Birmingham & Burnley, and looked like they'd be on their way to another epic struggle against Wigan. In the 2nd half against Wigan, Rooney scored Goal #100 of his Man U career, Berbatov put one in minutes later, then Rooney put in Goal #101, then Michael Owen scored his first goal as a Red Devil and to cap it all off, Nani scores on a beautiful free kick. 5-0, all five goals coming in one half, terrific stuff. It's not like Wigan's TERRIBLE, it's just that Man U seem to have finally hit their stride and sent an emphatic message to the rest of the league.

Needless to say, crisis averted for the denizens of Old Trafford. :P

EDIT: Lescott FINALLY gets his wish.

Thank GOD too!

I woke up this morning to watch it and was really frustrated that Man U couldnt get any of their great chances by that ballcap wearing bufoon of a goalie in the first half. Then there was Rooney in the 56th minute, an AWESOME save by Foster in the 57th minute, and Berbatov in the 58th minute. I shut the game off after the 3rd goal so I could sleep, So I'm kinda mad, but at the same time awesomely stoked, that Man U got those final two goals.

5-0 against Wigan is a great result. Especially with a huge match against Arsenal at Old Trafford next Saturday

GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED!

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Tottenham continue their torrid start, beating West Ham 2-1 today (with some help from Carlton Cole. If you saw the game, you'll know what I'm talking about. Once you see the highlights, you'll know what I'm talking about. If you don't want to see either, let's just say he provided a lovely assist for Jermain Defoe's goal that brought Spurs level.)

First 3-0-0 start for Tottenham since 1960.

Saintsfan's 2nd week EPL summary

*******disclaimer******** saintsfan has spent much of the weekend watching cricket rather than football, so this weeks summary may not be as complete as usual.

Best result- Probably the most important would be Manchester United getting rid of the Burnley hangover with a good away thrashing of Wigan. Also important for Michale Owen to get among the goals- very much a streaky scorer.

Form team- Arsenal, good wins over Everton, Celtic and now Portsmouth. Rumors of the Gunners demise may have been greatly exaggerated.

Teams with most work to do- Portsmouth- desperately need takeover to be complete and some new blood brought in before the transfer deadline. Everton- Lescott situation needs sorting, one or two injuries (Jagielka esp.) need sorting. Maybe need defensive help before deadline.

Stories of the season so far- Hot form from some big teams- promoted teams making good early showing- always important- most promoted teams that stay up get a good start then fall back. One or two big teams (Villa and Everton) must be worried

Manager under pressure- Possibly some pressure building on David Moyes, if only because of the way he has handled the Lescott situation. Not so much hios job under jeopardy, but maybe less likely to get a free pass for a while.

Off for a cup of tea and a cucumber sandwich to celebrate England regaining the Ashes!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived