European Soccer 2009-10

heernumurr

Ligue Un Matchday 4 Wrap-up

Boulonge 0-0 Auxerre

Newcomers Boulonge continue their impressive campaign with a draw at home to disappointing Auxerre

Lens 2-2 Rennes

Rennes are saved from defeat with an injury time goal by Asamoah Gyan

Lorient 1-0 Le Mans

Marama Vahirua scores the lone goal in the match for Les Merlus

Nice 0-3 Montpellier

This seasons surprise package, the newcomers from Montpellier thrash Nice and move into a European spot

Saint-Etienne 1-0 Grenoble

Sainté get their first win of the season, while Grenoble remain winless

Sochaux 1-0 Monaco

A 20th minute penalty give Sochaux the 3 points at home

Lyon 3-1 Nancy

3 of Lyon's summer signings score and Les Gones keep their hot streak alive

PSG 3-0 Lille

PSG thrash Les Dogues to keep up with the leaders, while Lille has only 1 point from a possible 12

Toulouse 0-1 Valenciennes

Mamadou Samassa scores as Valenciennes pick up their first points of the season

Marseille 0-0 Bordeaux

The Match of the season so far ends scoreless and l'OM ends Bordeaux's 14 game win streak

Bordeaux drops 2 points and has to now share the lead with PSG and Lyon at 10 points. Montpellier and Marseille are level on 8 points for 4th place and the Europa League spot. Lille, Auxerre and Grenoble are the only winless teams, and occupy the 3 drop spots.

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't realise until I watched the highlights again, but Rooney's dive for that penatly was epic.

A cheat is a cheat is a cheat.

Thank you! Someone else sees that! My soccer coaches said it was a horrible dive as well this morning to me, much to my delight. He was falling over before Almunia even touched him, and there was NO way he was going to get to the ball after that touch. Just poor refereeing.

I don't think Rooney is the only person at this diving lark at the moment, Eboue did a laughably bad dive in the same game.

Yeah, definitely a few dives in that game.

It's a shame the game has turned into this. Why can't they be like Americans, eh :P? They're trained to do it over there in Europe. Last year my soccer team went to Italy to play in a tournament, the teams there dove just as much as in the EPL or any other big league. Pissed us off a helluva lot, to say the least. But sadly, it's just a part of the game now.

I'm glad they're cracking down on it with Eduardo, even though he is on my own club. I'm completely fine with a 2 match suspension, as long as they enforce the same punishment on EVERY PLAYER that dives in any situation, whether it be the middle of the field or in the penalty area. Just because Eduardo's came in a different position (which overall had NO EFFECT on the final result) doesn't mean he should be punished differently.

Also, did anyone see that NASTY, NASTY play where the player's calf bone just split in half? One of the grossest injuries I've ever seen, up there with Theisman.

It's a shame the game has turned into this. Why can't they be like Americans, eh :P? They're trained to do it over there in Europe. Last year my soccer team went to Italy to play in a tournament, the teams there dove just as much as in the EPL or any other big league. Pissed us off a helluva lot, to say the least. But sadly, it's just a part of the game now.

Well considering Italy won a World Cup by diving, you shouldn't have been pissed off at all since you should've expected it. :P

(Seriously, they had to dive in that game against Australia or that would've been curtains.)

But anyways, good for UEFA for at least acknowledging that there's a problem when it comes to that type of stuff. I wish a certain basketball league stateside would do the same.

VdV will stay at Real.

But so far the only big name transferring is Niko Kranjcar he has gone from Pompey to Spurs.

But who I'm interesting in seeing playing in the EPL is 6'7'' Austrian Giant Stefan Maierhofer going from Rapid Vienna to Wolves, who played in 49 games at Vienna scoring 31 goals albeit in the Austrian Bundesliga but still great pickup for Wolverhampton.

VdV will stay at Real.

But so far the only big name transferring is Niko Kranjcar he has gone from Pompey to Spurs.

But who I'm interesting in seeing playing in the EPL is 6'7'' Austrian Giant Stefan Maierhofer going from Rapid Vienna to Wolves, who played in 49 games at Vienna scoring 31 goals albeit in the Austrian Bundesliga but still great pickup for Wolverhampton.

Maierhofer was described in one of the papers as 'A bit like Crouch without the good touch for a big man'! Interesting to see how he does though.

Just to make a point about deadline day, for most of Europe, deadline day was in fact yesterday, but as it was a bank holiday in the UK yesterday, the deadline for UK clubs has been extended until 5pm in the UK (roughly 12 ET I believe!) So its only clubs in England and Scotland who will be picking up new players.

Latest rumors- Bentley from Spurs to Manchester City, still talk of David James from Portsmouth to Spurs. I don;t think there will be many really big deals this time around though.

No huge deals on the deadline day today.

In: Aston Villa (J Collins), Birmingham (Tainio), Bolton (Klasnic), Burnley (Nugent), Everton (Heitinga), Fulham (Elm), Hull (Sonko), Portsmouth (Ben-Haim*, Williamson, Yebda), Stoke (D Collins), Tottenham (Kranjcar)

Nothing very major there, the only other deal in the pipeline, waiting confirmation is the Richard Dunne from Manchester City to Aston Villa. (Providing the deal is agreed teams have a certain amount of time to get official confirmation from the FA and Premier League so the Dunne deal could yet be confirmed.

Chelsea banned from signing players for the next 2 transfer windows

(How odd a Southern Florida paper is the only one I can find a link to the story with, but its all over Sky Sports News over here!)

When you mess up in the EPL, the World governing body comes down on you hard but if your a Chelsea supporter you better hope that the next 2 transfer windows are just as non eventful with players like the last one.

Chelsea banned from signing players for the next 2 transfer windows

(How odd a Southern Florida paper is the only one I can find a link to the story with, but its all over Sky Sports News over here!)

When you mess up in the EPL, the World governing body comes down on you hard but if your a Chelsea supporter you better hope that the next 2 transfer windows are just as non eventful with players like the last one.

This could of course be a blessing in disguise. Although the odd new player can freshen up a team, a little bit of stability is a pretty good thing.

In an odd sort of way I think this may well be best news for Manchester City though. No other club in England can match City's spending power, so there won't be anyone else to force prices up, at least in England.

Quick update, international break across Europe so no fixtures in the top leagues in all countries. (Although Southampton did manage to get a 0-0 draw against Colchester, only 6 more points to get to 0 now!!)

A friendly win for England over Slovenia, with another goal from the in form Jason Defoe and a dubious penalty given when Rooney fell over in the box (not sure it was a dive exactly mind!) Scotland got a crucial win, as did the Republic of Ireland, the Northern Irishmen getting a draw in Poland.

In world news, Brazil beat Argentine to qualify for the World Cup yet again. Brazil are still, therefore, the only country to have appeared in every world cup finals. (Couldn't find the world cup qualifiers thread, probably me being stoopid!)

Portsmouth mired in last with 0-0-4 record. Lovely. <_<

Indeed!! And P:censored:h have a crucial bottom of the table clash with Bolton this weekend.

In fairness to P:censored:h they have been able to add a couple of players right at the end of the transfer window so they might be able to improve, but I would imagine that their supporters will fear that they may be too far adrift at the bottom of the table by January for any signings they can make then to have a big effect. That or will the new owners actually cough up the promised money.

234708847.jpg

This is after Adebayor scored Man City's 3rd of 4 goals in a 4-2 win over Arsenal today...and he scored on the OTHER end. That, combined with him stomping on Van Persie, must mean that Adebayor had this game circled on his calendar for a while, eh?

FA's probably going to ban him for that.

The Birmingham Derby is tomorrow, here is a poem in honor of the occasion.

Some say that St Andrews is a wonderful place,

To the boys from Villa Park it's a :censored:ing disgrace,

They say they've got showers but we know the truth,

There's a hole in the roof where the rain p*sses through,

Sing up, we hate oh we hate the city, we hate the city, we do,

Oh we hate, oh we hate the city and we love it when them b**tards lose

234708847.jpg

This is after Adebayor scored Man City's 3rd of 4 goals in a 4-2 win over Arsenal today...and he scored on the OTHER end. That, combined with him stomping on Van Persie, must mean that Adebayor had this game circled on his calendar for a while, eh?

FA's probably going to ban him for that.

What a D-Bag.

Archived