HDTV...

Avalancho

You know how back in the day when ballparks started getting lights and playing night games how a few teams experimented with shiny fabrics to "reflect better" at night, and later how everybody claims the explosion in color of the 70's was because of the establishment of color TV as commonplace in America... Well, that had me thinking... <_<

Could High Definition TV alter in any way uniform design elements???

I mean, in a couple of years everybody will be broadcasting HD 1080 and the smallest screen you'll find at home will be a 42" LCD with a gazillion colors showing every detail to the inch, not to mention that networks use more cameras and tech gadgets to get you closer to the action than if you were at the event, so maybe Nike or someone else might try adding elements that would not have made a difference if seen thru regular TV but that would look relevant in HD...

I haven't seen them in action, but maybe the Jaguars' new helmets colored in that metallic green/black mix will pop up better now in HD... or they might look as hideous as the rest of their uniform...

Love to hear your comments...

You know how back in the day when ballparks started getting lights and playing night games how a few teams experimented with shiny fabrics to "reflect better" at night, and later how everybody claims the explosion in color of the 70's was because of the establishment of color TV as commonplace in America... Well, that had me thinking... <_<

Could High Definition TV alter in any way uniform design elements???

I mean, in a couple of years everybody will be broadcasting HD 1080 and the smallest screen you'll find at home will be a 42" LCD with a gazillion colors showing every detail to the inch, not to mention that networks use more cameras and tech gadgets to get you closer to the action than if you were at the event, so maybe Nike or someone else might try adding elements that would not have made a difference if seen thru regular TV but that would look relevant in HD...

I haven't seen them in action, but maybe the Jaguars' new helmets colored in that metallic green/black mix will pop up better now in HD... or they might look as hideous as the rest of their uniform...

Love to hear your comments...

Very good thinking...

Well you know Nike has some elements. Colorado's jersey pads on the shoulders, the insane detail on Oregon's uniforms.

Also, Hawaii's sublimated diamond pattern is hard to see, especially where it runs up around the collar.

I'm a sucker for detail on uniforms, which is why I like Oregon's (well, parts of it...the black excess ticks me off)

Very good thinking...

Well you know Nike has some elements. Colorado's jersey pads on the shoulders, the insane detail on Oregon's uniforms.

Also, Hawaii's sublimated diamond pattern is hard to see, especially where it runs up around the collar.

I'm a sucker for detail on uniforms, which is why I like Oregon's (well, parts of it...the black excess ticks me off)

good thinking indeed avalancho. I too enjoy some nice minute details on unis...i expect to see more of it as fans are treated to better and better views of the game.

I'm sure it will have an effect. In fact, I'm sure it is already having an effect. However, I wouldn't expect that all innovations aimed at HD will actually work or be any good. I mean, the Mets' two-tone batting helmets looked like exactly the sort of thing you'd see trotted out for HD, and yet the helmet actually looked worse in HD than in regular def. (Similarly, the old satin uniforms didn't actually succeed either.)

Uniforms in the last decade have already been moving in the direction of fine details and lots of filigree -- more and narrower piping, for example -- and that's a trend I expect HD to accelerate. I'd look for more uniforms consisting of panels of color, with every seam between panels piped in a narrow contrast color. You can barely see that sort of detail on standard-def TV, but you see every stitch on HD.

20082614447.png

Like Pat said, I'm sure it's taken into consideration but it seems like the amount it's taken into consideration varies drastically between designers. Honestly, I wouldn't expect Nike, for example, to add a design element to a uniform or template just because it would be visible on an HD broadcast rather than just because it looks sleek and trendy on paper. Perhaps it lets them push the envelope a bit with certain design elements but I guess my point is, when you see Nike producing uniforms for Oregon football and basketball with nearly invisible name and number fonts, which are a principal element of uniform design, and they aren't putting in effort to make those visible, it kind of makes it hard to believe they're considering the viewing audiences and legibility of the uniforms. Yet again, they might realize that they can get away with these kind of designs being they will be broadcast in HD and therefore be more legible to viewers compared to if viewers would be watching on standard definition broadcasts where they would be completely illegible. Overall I'd say it's very difficult to make an accurate correlation between the advance in "modernness" of uniform design and the two factors of increased visibility due to HDTV or just the designers' attempts to put out a hip new uniform design being the creative process can be so radically different for each designer.

I remember Nike designed an undershirt for the SOD Syracuse jerseys that had the names of famous Syracuse basketball players all over it. The lettering was so tiny I only noticed it in a giant hi-res picture someone posted here (a promo picture, not from a game).

1zgyd8w.jpg

Well I'm sure HDTV will make people more aware of subtle design elements in uniforms, but I'm not too sure that it will directly affect uniform design in a major way like televising games in B&W or Color Television did.

On top of that....look back at the uniform designs of the 90's and you'll see a variety of subtle design patterns and fabric textures used on football jerseys and that was BEFORE HDTV. Many of those uniforms looked very busy and unclear on television yet designers still opted to create them. Anyone remember the mess that was the CFL American team jerseys or the huge chest logo jerseys in the old WLAF?

You would think that we would see more busy and complex designs now that we have HDTV as opposed to what seems to be the opposite trend today.

Archived