England Monarchs

Davidson

I'd have to say 3 then 1 in order of preference, with 3 being the clear winner, if the project was for an independent national squad I'd probably come down on the side of number 1 but as this is for (the now sadly defunct) NFLE I would steer clear of number one as the blue and silver look almost identical to cross border rivals the Scottish Claymores.

The colours in option three are more in keeping with the very original London Monarch colours, Gold red and blue, although now more muted, which seems only right as a great many NFL teams have made a similar shift with their colour palettes since the 80's so if NFLE was still in existence it would not be unreasonable to expect similar moves from them too.

Still think this is an excellent logo and like the subtle changes to the wordmark.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the middle logo is best. Also, I think the mane area is just a bit too dynamic/active right now. There are a lot of shapes and strokes, and it's creating some weird interactions, like that red shape in the upper right that looks like it's slicing into the lion's head.

But it is a very sharp logo, very well rendered. I think if you simplify that mane, you've got a winner.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I think the middle logo is best. Also, I think the mane area is just a bit too dynamic/active right now. There are a lot of shapes and strokes, and it's creating some weird interactions, like that red shape in the upper right that looks like it's slicing into the lion's head.

But it is a very sharp logo, very well rendered. I think if you simplify that mane, you've got a winner.

i think youre absolutely right.

ill post all my attempts at the mane later. it all started as an attempt to get a george cross in there.

funny how the bits you think will be easy are the hardest bits sometimes.

ill take another crack tomorrow.

ta for the feedback

I think the key is keeping the blue and red separated by another colour. The 1st and 3rd logos work best in my opinion, and I think this is why. The colours themselves work well as a set, but the red and blue seem to bleed into each other. I think this leaves too many large dark areas, and makes the highlights stand out too much.

Is there anything to be said for removing either the red or blue from the logo and using it solely as the primary jersey colour? This would free you up to colour the lion in a more natural way.

I've said it before and will say it again: the 91-92 and 97 Monarchs uniforms were some of the classiest in the history of football. The crown M is one of my favorite logos. That said, davidson, that lion is pretty :censored:ing awesome. And for a second there I was afraid you went with one of those tired rampant lions.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

okay, so here are the final versions.

not sure which i like best.

have done two main variant colourways, i prefer blue i think, but i like the union jack in

the red versions.

also have a uniform idea.

monarchs_logos.png

monarchs_uniforms.png

I agree with you davidson, the red does look good because of the union jack reference, but I don't think red is dark enough to use as the main color, so I say go with blue as the main color. Among the options with blue I like the center one. The white in the mane allows for a sense of the union jack to still be there. I love the simplicity of the uniforms as well, the helmet is a thing of beauty but I would like to see the blue lion on a gold helmet, possibly a blue facemask.

If you are feeling like going way crazy with this, which I have a feeling you don't, you could try something along these lines.

article-0-067C72340000044D-700_306x508.jpg

Great work, I hope you continue with this series and do the entire league.

OK, now I see what you meant about getting the flag in there. Hate to be a nitpicker, but if they are going to be the "England" Monarchs, then the flag should be the Cross of St George, basically a red plus/cross on a white field. No blue. What you've done (very effectively, by the way) on the helmet is a Union Jack, for the United Kingdom. Technically, the flag of England is not the same as the flag of the UK. Of course, they could be the "London" Monarchs again, which would be fine with a Union Jack.

All of that aside, I still think the logo in the upper left is the most visually appealing. The lion's head looks sharpest in blue. But now that I've seen the how well the Union Jack is working, especially on the helmet, I'd say use the logo on the bottom right.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Wow. I've seen lots of Lions logos, but that one is the best. Love the flag/mane... top middle logo has the best color sequence, IMHO. That helmet design is nice as well. Also, I'm a sucker for the two tone leg stripes, ala Redskins... So, Davidson, is this the start of a Europa series?

EDIT: You'd think I could spell better than that...

applogosig17.pngapplogosig16bychapeeko.png

Courtesy chapeeko

have done two main variant colourways, i prefer blue i think, but i like the union jack in

the red versions.

monarchs_logos.png

monarchs_uniforms.png

Okay, for a national side like the GB Lions FANTASTIC! Love it, want to buy all of it right now! But for an English side sorry NO WAY!

It's a UNION flag for a reason! Because it represents more than one country, now it probably upsets me more than it might others what with being Scottish but despite what many English (mostly soccer) fans seem to think the "Union Jack" does not belong to just England it belongs to Britain, and as anyone who has basic history of the UK down will tell you the first King of a United Kingdom was actually Scottish, so where the English claim to it comes from is anyones guess. Using the Union flag to represent just England would as wrong as using the Stars and Stripes to represent a team made up of all the countries on the continent of America. Not sure the Mexicans or Brazilians would be to pleased about that.

Ok, history and geography aside I think this logo from a design standpoint just keeps getting better and better. The helmet is bold but fantastically well done, there's a lot going on but it doesn't look cluttered or over the top like the Buffalo Bills helmet does, and the uniforms are clean and classy.

Flag issues aside I like the whole package I really do and think from a graphics stand point it's an excellent piece of work.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

the red versions.

monarchs_logos.png

monarchs_uniforms.png

Okay, for a national side like the GB Lions FANTASTIC! Love it, want to buy all of it right now! But for an English side sorry NO WAY!

It's a UNION flag for a reason! Because it represents more than one country, now it probably upsets me more than it might others what with being Scottish but despite what many English (mostly soccer) fans seem to think the "Union Jack" does not belong to just England it belongs to Britain, and as anyone who has basic history of the UK down will tell you the first King of a United Kingdom was actually Scottish, so where the English claim to it comes from is anyones guess. Using the Union flag to represent just England would as wrong as using the Stars and Stripes to represent a team made up of all the countries on the continent of America. Not sure the Mexicans or Brazilians would be to pleased about that.

Ok, history and geography aside I think this logo from a design standpoint just keeps getting better and better. The helmet is bold but fantastically well done, there's a lot going on but it doesn't look cluttered or over the top like the Buffalo Bills helmet does, and the uniforms are clean and classy.

Flag issues aside I like the whole package I really do and think from a graphics stand point it's an excellent piece of work.

9erssteve

no, im perfectly aware of the flag issue.

its a very strange relationship the british have with the union flag. it actually combines the flags of st george, st andrew (scot) and st patrick (irl).

this obviously totally disenfranchises the welsh and makes a mockery of the irish republic. ulster is also not represented despite being prt of the union.

technically you are correct, the union flag should be a british icon however most scots and welsh despise the notion of the thing. if you watch footage of the english sports teams in the 60s and 70s you will not find a george cross. its all union flag. very strange. were the logo to represent london (as they were named origianally), the jack would be appropriate as london is the capital of the uk.

i am enclined to agree however and think i might go with top left as it represents the original london monarchs logo.

ta guys, thanks for the feedback.

the red versions.

monarchs_logos.png

monarchs_uniforms.png

9erssteve

no, im perfectly aware of the flag issue.

its a very strange relationship the british have with the union flag. it actually combines the flags of st george, st andrew (scot) and st patrick (irl).

this obviously totally disenfranchises the welsh and makes a mockery of the irish republic. ulster is also not represented despite being prt of the union.

technically you are correct, the union flag should be a british icon however most scots and welsh despise the notion of the thing. if you watch footage of the english sports teams in the 60s and 70s you will not find a george cross. its all union flag. very strange. were the logo to represent london (as they were named origianally), the jack would be appropriate as london is the capital of the uk.

i am enclined to agree however and think i might go with top left as it represents the original london monarchs logo.

ta guys, thanks for the feedback.

Top left is awesome. But I'm actually inclined to prefer the bottom right. I think the gray works better as just an accent color. But that's just my two cents. I have to say, the mock helmet and uni...beautiful (English/British flag issue aside). If you just used the English flag, I think just red and white on the helmet would just look too plain. I think it needs the blue in there.

gYH2mW9.png

Archived