England Monarchs

Davidson

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Davidson, this looks amazing, great work. I love how you've slightly incorportated the Union Jack. The only thing that I can think of to improve it would be putting the wordmark on top. Seems like the curves would fit together perfectly.

Great work!

okay, so here are the final versions.

not sure which i like best.

have done two main variant colourways, i prefer blue i think, but i like the union jack in

the red versions.

also have a uniform idea.

monarchs_logos.png

Pretty good designs, my favourite is the top right.

I do not think England should be your location wordmark for few reasons:

1) Does not match the Union Jack

2) 4-down Football, with its similarity with Rugby, could be very popular in Scotland, Wales and Ireland.

3) If you have an England team, it is because you have other teams in the 3 other nations of the UK.

Therefore, you could have London, Britain, Britannia, Windsor, Westminster, Albion, etc, but not England if you want to keep your excellent design.

Great stuff !

:flagcanada:

It Should Be Lawful for the Queen of Hockey Land, by and with the Advice and the Consent of the Sinners and the House of Pain, to Make Laws for Pucks, Hot Dogs and Good Government...

I totally agree that an England team doesn't need to contain the st george's cross, the lion is just as representative and as Davidson clearly showed it works for most other sports team.

However, i do see why calling it England monarchs and using a union flag irks a few people

edited for typo

have done two main variant colourways, i prefer blue i think, but i like the union jack in

the red versions.

monarchs_logos.png

2) 4-down Football, with its similarity with Rugby, could be very popular in Scotland, Wales and Ireland.

3) If you have an England team, it is because you have other teams in the 3 other nations of the UK.

Therefore, you could have London, Britain, Britannia, Windsor, Westminster, Albion, etc, but not England if you want to keep your excellent design.

Great stuff !

The England Monarchs were a legit team they played a season (maybe two) in NFL Europe, and were previously the London Monarchs when the league was the WLAF.

In the original WLAF (89 or '90 I think it was) that had American and European teams I think the Union Jack version would have been awesome as the Monarchs were marketed as the UK's team, and from a design standpoint it trumps everything else the league used, I know times have changed and things have progressed but even so. I still dont think my eyes have healed from that fluorescent monstrosity that was the Thunders uniform! But once the WLAF became and all European affair and the Claymores introduced in Scotland you are right using the Union Jack for an English team could become problematic.

Still an awesome piece of sports design though, and apologies to Davidson for coming across as a bit of a flag fascist, having re-read my post I did kinda go a bit overboard, sorry mate.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

the red versions.

monarchs_logos.png

Great stuff !

The England Monarchs were a legit team they played a season (maybe two) in NFL Europe, and were previously the London Monarchs when the league was the WLAF.

In the original WLAF (89 or '90 I think it was) that had American and European teams I think the Union Jack version would have been awesome as the Monarchs were marketed as the UK's team, and from a design standpoint it trumps everything else the league used, I know times have changed and things have progressed but even so. I still dont think my eyes have healed from that fluorescent monstrosity that was the Thunders uniform! But once the WLAF became and all European affair and the Claymores introduced in Scotland you are right using the Union Jack for an English team could become problematic.

Still an awesome piece of sports design though, and apologies to Davidson for coming across as a bit of a flag fascist, having re-read my post I did kinda go a bit overboard, sorry mate.

9erssteve

yeah, i think i might just change it to london, will get around the anglo issue. no, i have lived in pomgolia for 22 years so im totally aware of the flag issue, its just it would have been nice to use a better looking flag as a base for the design. never mind.

the red versions.

monarchs_logos.png

Great stuff !

9erssteve

yeah, i think i might just change it to london, will get around the anglo issue. no, i have lived in pomgolia for 22 years so im totally aware of the flag issue, its just it would have been nice to use a better looking flag as a base for the design. never mind.

IMO, London Monarchs sounds better, but that comes from most people in this country referring to the UK as England.

6fQjS3M.png

Absolutely love that helmet, but I'm surprised no one has said anything about the lion's expression. The lack of any white in the eye might imply a closed eye, and the shape/orientation of the eye along with the Cheshire Cat grin make this lion appear to me as if it's hysterically laughing, which may or may not be appropriate for a football team. I don't know what your intention was, so I'll let you be the judge of that, but I thought I should point it out.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Wow, that is a really good model, davidson. I like everything from the color scheme, to the jersey and helmet designs, but the numbers don't seem to fit for some reason. It's not bad per say, but it almost seems as if it should look like the font that the Phoenix Suns used to use on their jerseys back in the late 1970's... specifically the wordmark for "PHOENIX" that they used to use back then. Overall, a great design, and nearly perfect. I hope this turns into a thread for all NFL Europe revisions, as I would love to see what you would do with the Barcelona Dragons or Cologne Centurions.

Just curious though, where did you find that template, and do you have any tips or advice for new designers here who're looking to create their own designs on a template like that?

Davidson,

I just wanted to point out that out of all the logos I've seen on the board so far, this has to be at the very top, if not the very best! It's so creative and original, and I think the whole British Flag element really puts it over the top for me. Awesome job man, your work never ceases to amaze me! th1-pray.gif

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Absolutely love that helmet, but I'm surprised no one has said anything about the lion's expression. The lack of any white in the eye might imply a closed eye, and the shape/orientation of the eye along with the Cheshire Cat grin make this lion appear to me as if it's hysterically laughing, which may or may not be appropriate for a football team. I don't know what your intention was, so I'll let you be the judge of that, but I thought I should point it out.

yeah i take your point but i dont really see it as laughing. the upturned cheeks look more feline than smiling in my opinion. i can see what you mean tho so i have made a minor amend, with regards to the eyes, i really dont think its necessary to actually craw them out. below are some eyes i drew early on. im just no a fan. at the bottom is the final thing i think.

monarch_choices.png

monarch_final.png

This is absolutely beautiful. I think the final version is the best. While I love the Union Jack version, I think the lion is better blue. The helmet is probably the best I've seen since the Michigan Panthers. Great work as always.

Archived