Mets to wear "throwbacks" this weekend

cmm

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/mets/2009...is-weekend.html

I don't know what they are throwing back to exactly. I like the Mr. Met patch...and that's about it.

Yeah, by any standard, this is not a "throwback" but rather just an alternate jersey.

This would be an excellent cheerleader's uniform. Not so much for the players on the field, though.

20082614447.png

I heard on the radio while I was walking my dog that they are wearing these "to honor their National League heritage." A better way to do that would be to bring back the flags of the NL teams on the roof like Shea had before 9/11. How many American flags do you need?

How many American flags do you need?

How many? More, obviously. Why do you hate America? :P

Couldn't agree more about the NL flags at Citi. Proper flag etiquette demands that if you do not feel your flag is sufficient to express your patriotism, the answer is not more flags. It's to fly a larger flag. If the Mets want to be all rah-rah-for-America, they should go down to Gaston, NC, and install a copy of the Gaston County American Legion's flag at Citi. Visible for 30 miles, baby! And when the wind was blowing in, the flag itself would be in the field of play, knocking down fly balls and whatnot. How sweet would it be to see a Ryan Howard home run deflected and turned into a foul ball by the American flag itself?

20082614447.png

IIRC, didn't one of the Polo Grounds have the rest of the NL's logos molded into the stadium somewhere? The Mets should try that instead of flags or the logos on the outfield wall.

Anyways, do they really need to show their NL heritage? The Mets were started in '62. They've been around for almost 50 years. If it were the Marlins or Rockies, I'd understand the need to make a faux-back. I think that the Mets have enough history to not have to make history up.

IIRC, didn't one of the Polo Grounds have the rest of the NL's logos molded into the stadium somewhere? The Mets should try that instead of flags or the logos on the outfield wall.

Anyways, do they really need to show their NL heritage? The Mets were started in '62. They've been around for almost 50 years. If it were the Marlins or Rockies, I'd understand the need to make a faux-back. I think that the Mets have enough history to not have to make history up.

Casey62MetsSpringTraining.jpg

classic enough to use as a throwback and nice enough to make full time uniforms :D. If they feel like being faux about it use that style but make it a cream uniform.

IMO, I think that the Mets management is trying to rectify two PR issues. The Mets fanbase is made up primarily of former Giants and Dodgers fans. The old Giants fans were slapped in the face when the Wilpons created Dodgapalooza. I think now they realize that they need to honor the Giants as well. Also, they are responding to another outcry by adding more Mets stuff to the ballpark. Just ditch the black and they're in business.

New York Yankees~27 World Championships

IMO, I think that the Mets management is trying to rectify two PR issues. The Mets fanbase is made up primarily of former Giants and Dodgers fans. The old Giants fans were slapped in the face when the Wilpons created Dodgapalooza. I think now they realize that they need to honor the Giants as well. Also, they are responding to another outcry by adding more Mets stuff to the ballpark. Just ditch the black and they're in business.

How many met fans were alive when either the giants or dodgers played in new york? quite a few, im sure, but not enough to constitute a "base".

How many met fans were alive when either the giants or dodgers played in new york? quite a few, im sure, but not enough to constitute a "base".

I think a lot more than people realize. The teams moved 50 years ago so people in their early 60s rooted for the N.Y. Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers when they were kids.

mets.png

The Mets fanbase is made up primarily of former Giants and Dodgers fans. The old Giants fans were slapped in the face when the Wilpons created Dodgapalooza.

I think a lot more than people realize. The teams moved 50 years ago so people in their early 60s rooted for the N.Y. Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers when they were kids.

1. It is simply not true that the Mets "fan base" is primarily made up of 60-something retirees.

2. Even if it were true, this would not be a fan base who could be "placated" with gimmicky fauxback jerseys. If there's one thing a sixty-eight-year-old geezer doesn't enjoy, it's flashy changes in his favorite team's uniforms. The only way you're going to satisfy a fan base of 60-somethings is to adopt the uniforms the team wore 50 years ago, with no alternates of any kind ever. (Which, in the case of the Mets, makes me a sixty-eight-year-old geezer, since that's exactly what it would take to make me happy with the Mets uniforms, though I remain open to a return of 1980s-era racing stripes.)

3. Any argument that includes the phrase "slap in the face" in any conjugation is, by definition, wrong.

20082614447.png

Casey62MetsSpringTraining.jpg

classic enough to use as a throwback and nice enough to make full time uniforms :D. If they feel like being faux about it use that style but make it a cream uniform.

thats just a pretty uniform.

*throws arms up above head* "Oh why can't they bring back something like THIS again????? WHYYYYYYYYYY????!!!!!"

BallWonk, I don't at all think that these people make up the majority of the Mets fan base. I am a life long Mets fan in my late 20s. My father was a big Brooklyn Dodger fan as a kid and despite being a Mets fan for the last 47 years he still wears Brooklyn Dodgers shirts and has plenty of Brooklyn Dodger memorabilia in his office. Basically what I'm saying is that my roots as a Mets fan run through the Brooklyn Dodgers. The Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants fans were National League fans and thus didn't adopt the Yankees as their team, they eventually adopted the Mets. I would think that the majority of Mets fans have either a parent or grandparent who was a Brooklyn Dodger or New York Giants fan. I do agree with you though on the point that the older generation is unlikely to get excited or appeased about something like this but an old New York Giant fan might nevertheless appreciate the acknowledgment of the non-Dodger half of the Mets ancestry.

mets.png

When it comes to NY NL baseball nostalgia, the Giants have always sort of been forgotten. Nobody weeps for the old New York Giants the way they do for the Brooklyn Dodgers. Bestselling books have been written about the Dodgers. The Mets' new park is apparently the Dodge Mahal. It's not without good reason, of course: the Dodgers had Jackie Robinson, Sandy Koufax, all the colorful characters from The Boys of Summer, the mystique of old Brooklyn, on and on. The Giants had the Polo Grounds and Christy Mathewson. The rest of their history is largely Bay-based for most baseball fans.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived