Interesting New Jersey Nets promotion

roxfan00

Speaking as a New Jersey sports fan, I really, truly don't care about the Nets. Neither do most of the other 8 million+ citizens of our great state. They are completely irrelevant. Now that I think about it, I don't even know anyone who truly is a fan of an NBA team; mostly it's people who like basketball in general or spend their time arguing over if LeBron's better than Kobe.

This reminds me of the promotional campaign trotted out by the Bulls a few years ago, back when they were soul-suckingly awful instead of just easy-to-ignore bad. The ads basically boiled down to "Come see the NBA's biggest and brightest stars play at the United Center (while they throttle the Bulls by 30 on a nightly basis)!"

The Hawks did the same thing when they were terrible on a routine basis, basically promoting the Hawks as "The NBA in the ATL!" like the Hawks were the Washington Generals and all the big-time players that came in (notice I said players because they'd promote a back-then-Half Man-Half Amazing Vince Carter more aggressively than if the boring ol' Spurs came into town.) were the Harlem Globetrotters. When it comes to trying to get fans to come and see a terrible basketball team, these teams have no shame in trying to get people to come.

With that said, this promotion is hilarious. I always thought that the Hawks would be the team to do something like this, considering that the Thrashers & the Hawks basically outlawed the sale of other teams' jerseys in the Team Store. But wow @ the Nets doing it.

This reminds me of the promotional campaign trotted out by the Bulls a few years ago, back when they were soul-suckingly awful instead of just easy-to-ignore bad. The ads basically boiled down to "Come see the NBA's biggest and brightest stars play at the United Center (while they throttle the Bulls by 30 on a nightly basis)!"

It's an excellent way to establish that your team has absolutely no hope of being good before the first tip-off of the season.

Replace "United" with "Bradley" and almost word-for-word you have every Bucks season ticket pitch since George Karl arranged the worst trades this side of Dan Devine and John Hadl.

"We signed Luke Ridnour!"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived