RIP Distant Replays

BlueSky

Went by Distant Replays the other day and the store was gone. Checked their website and it appears it's been sold to some outfit that offers a much more narrow variety of merchandise. Too bad. Really enjoyed going in their store and they were one of the better suppliers of retro goods. The new owners are clearly just trying to cash in on the Distant Replays name. It's not even close to what it was before.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Went by Distant Replays the other day and the store was closed. Checked their website and it appears it's been sold to some outfit that offers a much more narrow variety of merchandise. Too bad. Really enjoyed going in their store and they were one of the better suppliers of retro goods.

Dumb question maybe, but did you go by their Buckhead location or the new one? My friends and I tried to go to the one on East Paces about 3 months ago and it was closed, but we found out it had a new location up 75 near Cumberland and all that.

If you went to that location and it was closed though, then that is really sad news.

Agree. The new site sucks in comparison to the older version. No me gusta.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Went by Distant Replays the other day and the store was closed. Checked their website and it appears it's been sold to some outfit that offers a much more narrow variety of merchandise. Too bad. Really enjoyed going in their store and they were one of the better suppliers of retro goods.

Dumb question maybe, but did you go by their Buckhead location or the new one? My friends and I tried to go to the one on East Paces about 3 months ago and it was closed, but we found out it had a new location up 75 near Cumberland and all that.

If you went to that location and it was closed though, then that is really sad news.

No, you're right, I should have specified which one I went to. Sadly, it was the new store up by Cumberland.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Distant Replays, unfortunately, has been gone for approximately 6 months. As an avid shopper since the days of the original Paces Ferry location, it will be truly missed. Now the only place to get Cooperstown Collection caps is Mickey's Place. Unless I want to breakdown and get a cap with the "NE" logo on the side, which at this point I refuse to do. Does anyone know of any other sites that sell Cooperstown Collection caps?

Sad to read this. When I visited Atlanta six years back, I made it a must to stop in the Buckhead store. It was quite a sight to see all of those throwback jerseys, but I somewhat reluctantly left empty-handed because I never could spend $300 on one jersey. But I took long looks at both a Bill Madlock 1976 Cubs road jersey and a 1940s Cubs home sleeveless.

I think the only thing I ever bought from them was a 1980s Majestic replica for $40, before they upped the price and "improved" it by using patches (one of which never actually existed on any Cubs jersey).

Distant Replays, unfortunately, has been gone for approximately 6 months. As an avid shopper since the days of the original Paces Ferry location, it will be truly missed. Now the only place to get Cooperstown Collection caps is Mickey's Place. Unless I want to breakdown and get a cap with the "NE" logo on the side, which at this point I refuse to do. Does anyone know of any other sites that sell Cooperstown Collection caps?

Not true. Check out www.dugout-memories.com

metslogo_215.gif

I bought a lot of great things from that Distant Replays store before I moved from ATL in 2002. That was before the expansion of the Paces Ferry store. I liked the place because it was like being a kid in a candy store. I have a lot of stuff now that I never dreamed I'd own and lot of things that connect me with my childhood. Sad to hear it's changed in some way.

I worked at the Distant Replays store for a few months back in 2002. Andy (the owner) brought me in thinking he was gonna start taking phone orders, but that never really materialized (if it did... it was long after I left). He was a great guy though... just a sports-nerd that thought people shouldn't have to deal with the risks that came with ordering online when droppin' $300 on a throwback.

Not true. Check out www.dugout-memories.com

From what I have seen Dugout Memories only has American Needle and I have not liked the few American Needle hats that I have owned. The only remaining American Needle are both Pirates pillbox hats. If I am wrong about Dugout Memories, please tell me because their selection is tremendous.

I worked at the Distant Replays store for a few months back in 2002. Andy (the owner) brought me in thinking he was gonna start taking phone orders, but that never really materialized (if it did... it was long after I left). He was a great guy though... just a sports-nerd that thought people shouldn't have to deal with the risks that came with ordering online when droppin' $300 on a throwback.

Andy did start taking phone orders because I placed a few. The problem, in my humble opinion, is that his business model did not change when the target market did. In the beginning, he marketed himself to mostly professional athletes that were wearing alot of throwbacks at the time which only carried him so far. In terms of throwback caps, he did not diversify himself enough and kept reordering the same styles or placed such a small order that it sold out too quickly.

Hopefully, Andy will try again.

Yeah I went there back in November or December of 08, and the store was just falling apart. It looked terrible. I asked the guy at the desk what was happening, and he said they were going to change the store to an internet-only type of place. I guess this is what he meant by that. He never mentioned they'd go out of business.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Archived