Toronto Blue (no, really) Jays Concept

McCall

After seeing the Blue Jays recently wear their white throwbacks, I realized how much I loved that look and that logo. Whenever I see that logo, it just screams Toronto Blue Jays (and not just cuz it actually says "Toronto Blue Jays"). And while I loved their sets back then, I feel they still need an update, but a look that still reflects the original. So I kinda did a little mix of the eras. I used the colors, blue and light blue, from that first look (again, went with the light blue instead of the turquoise that ColorWerx has previously pointed out), but I took the current font (at least from the away uniforms), Agency, and gave it the old effect with the white inserts. But, I arched the lettering, like from the middle, or Clemes-era, sets. I really wanted to do an update to that first logo, but still can't decide how I want to go about it. So for now, I've just used that logo itself. I removed the baseball from the version used on the caps because of the rule about not showing depictions of a baseball on the caps or uniform... fronts, I guess. How they're able to use it for the retro Friday ones, I'm not sure. But I went ahead and removed it anyway. Personally, I'd be fine with using the baseball version on the caps.

Well, I'll just go ahead and post what I have for now. I may be doing some changes, but I want to get a sense of what everyone thinks and if I'm moving in the right direction.

Home and Away:

Blue-Jays_Home-Away.gif

Alternates (I guess the Light Blue could take over Friday games and the Blue could become the home AND away alt jersey):

Blue-Jays-Alternates.gif

The "logosheet":

Blue-Jays-Logo-Page.gif

(I thought about making the light blue billed cap the alternate to go with both colored jerseys. I can make a pic with them if anyone would like to see how that looks.)

Let me know if there are any changes anyone thinks should be made, and I'll look into making them. I now have Illustrator CS2 on my own laptop ( :boogie: ), so I can work on these anytime I want. It feels so great.

Thanks.

For the most part I like it. The font seems a bit thin (the inside part), and I'm not sure Agency really fits with that style. I also think the bird on the hat should face the other way, it just looks awkward to me facing left, but it's probably just me.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I don't have a problem with the number font, although the 3 should probably change.

Also, since the BLUE Jays wore powder blue on the road, the powder blue should be their road uni, not an alt. And so the royal blue alt should say Blue Jays and not Toronto.

Other than that, this looks good.

Packers-2.png

For the most part I like it. The font seems a bit thin (the inside part), and I'm not sure Agency really fits with that style. I also think the bird on the hat should face the other way, it just looks awkward to me facing left, but it's probably just me.

The Blue Jay Bird has been always faced left, so I think it would be wired (especially for Blue Jays fans ) if the bird was facing right.

As for the design I really like this. You kept the font as you said, but brought back the old school feeling, and to be honest it works. It would be a great update from what they have, not only to bring back the "Blue" in the Jays.

Once again great job on the concept.

4kv29i.jpg

I honestly hate about 90% of the Jays concepts thrown around these boards. But Mccall, these are fantastic. Perfect modernization of the glory-years unis. Love the use of the current road-script font/numbers, with the Jays' signature "double-line" look. A couple of suggestions:

1) Bring back the white panel on the cap for the home and blue alt. It's such a unique feature that I love, and they'd be the only team in the league to have it.

2) I'd love to see some sort of hybrid of the current "T" cap logo, with the lettering style from this set.

A+ concept.

I'm loving this update. The number font is the best thing about their current road uniforms, and this just improves it. I agree about the white panel hat for the alternates, especially the Friday alt. Great job with these, I'm hoping the Jays do something similar soon.

I'm wondering if the dark blue and white would look better reversed on the powder blues. I would also prefer to see an actual letter on at least one of the hats. I know the Jays have always done it, but using logos on hats has always looked minor-leagueish to me.

I too think the Blue Jays need to change and go back to a design of a slightly earlier era. Today I was designing a new Blue Jays logo that used the color sheme of blue, black, white, and gray/slate/graphite. My new logo that I just designed is remeniscent of the mid 90's to early 2000's logo. The only difference is the color scheme (blue, and black, instead of the bue and light blue, the white is the same) and does not have the Maple Leaf or baseball behind it ( I am contemplating however about adding a baseball). I also put Blue Jays in the same script as Toronto is on their current road jersey. I have put the logo on a few differnt colored backgrounds (blue, black, slate, grey and white). I would like to post it up here but I don't know how I can do that. How did u put ur design on this site?

After seeing the Blue Jays recently wear their white throwbacks, I realized how much I loved that look and that logo. Whenever I see that logo, it just screams Toronto Blue Jays (and not just cuz it actually says "Toronto Blue Jays"). And while I loved their sets back then, I feel they still need an update, but a look that still reflects the original. So I kinda did a little mix of the eras. I used the colors, blue and light blue, from that first look (again, went with the light blue instead of the turquoise that ColorWerx has previously pointed out), but I took the current font (at least from the away uniforms), Agency, and gave it the old effect with the white inserts. But, I arched the lettering, like from the middle, or Clemes-era, sets. I really wanted to do an update to that first logo, but still can't decide how I want to go about it. So for now, I've just used that logo itself. I removed the baseball from the version used on the caps because of the rule about not showing depictions of a baseball on the caps or uniform... fronts, I guess. How they're able to use it for the retro Friday ones, I'm not sure. But I went ahead and removed it anyway. Personally, I'd be fine with using the baseball version on the caps.

Well, I'll just go ahead and post what I have for now. I may be doing some changes, but I want to get a sense of what everyone thinks and if I'm moving in the right direction.

Home and Away:

Blue-Jays_Home-Away.gif

Alternates (I guess the Light Blue could take over Friday games and the Blue could become the home AND away alt jersey):

Blue-Jays-Alternates.gif

The "logosheet":

Blue-Jays-Logo-Page.gif

(I thought about making the light blue billed cap the alternate to go with both colored jerseys. I can make a pic with them if anyone would like to see how that looks.)

Let me know if there are any changes anyone thinks should be made, and I'll look into making them. I now have Illustrator CS2 on my own laptop ( :boogie: ), so I can work on these anytime I want. It feels so great.

Thanks.

I too think the Blue Jays need to change and go back to a design of a slightly earlier era. Today I was designing a new Blue Jays logo that used the color sheme of blue, black, white, and gray/slate/graphite. My new logo that I just designed is remeniscent of the mid 90's to early 2000's logo. The only difference is the color scheme (blue, and black, instead of the bue and light blue, the white is the same) and does not have the Maple Leaf or baseball behind it ( I am contemplating however about adding a baseball). I also put Blue Jays in the same script as Toronto is on their current road jersey. I have put the logo on a few differnt colored backgrounds (blue, black, slate, grey and white). I would like to post it up here but I don't know how I can do that. How did u put ur design on this site?

Archived