Best teams that DIDN't win their championship

vicfurth

I'm not an Indians fan, but ill contend that the 1995 Indians were the best baseball team I've ever seen. They won 100 out 144 games. They had the misfortune of playing the braves when all of their pitchers came together at the same time.

And here's the crazy thing: That '95 Braves team, IMO, wasn't even the best team of that divisional dynasty. Everything just seemed to come together for the Braves that year, & looking back on it (I was 7 when they won that ring, so I couldn't really appreciate it), that Indians team was monstrous. That lineup was a Murderer's Row. But like you said, they were really unfortunate to run into the Braves (once again, not even the best team in that run of division titles) when their pitching got hot. When Glavine was on like he was in Game 6, nobody would've got a run off of him. But yeah, that Indians team was an absolute monster. I'm shocked they didn't win at least 1 World Series during their mini-run.

I just realized that this is a revived thread. I went back & found my nominations. I was instantly reminded of that '04 Auburn football team that went undefeated. Now I'm mad again, that would've been a PERFECT situation for a playoff & I'm not even a supporter of playoffs in 1-A football. I can't really say with too much confidence that Auburn would've beaten USC that year, because USC was loaded as well...but they would've put up a better fight than the Sooners. Plus, it would've been an awesome rematch & a chance for the Tigers to avenge that embarrassing L USC handed them the year before. In addition, the amount of NFL talent on both sides would've made that game INCREDIBLE to watch. But instead, the Sooners got in simply because the top 2 teams in the polls never lost. That 2004 Auburn Tigers season is why I'm against preseason polls to this day.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not an Indians fan, but ill contend that the 1995 Indians were the best baseball team I've ever seen. They won 100 out 144 games. They had the misfortune of playing the braves when all of their pitchers came together at the same time.

That '95 Indians team was loaded with offense but their pitching wasn't that great.

BB52Big.jpg

1994, 1995 Indians.

No 1997?

Try again. 1988, or whatever year that was, when they beat the Yankees in that one-game playoff. :rolleyes:

i guess all the indians can hang on to is when the yankees lose to them, cause the indians are bad

besides 88 was when the yankees barely had a winning record, finished 5 in al east

No, they lost the one game playoff. Jake Taylor dropped a suicide squeeze and Willie Mays Hayes scored the winning run from second base.

PvO6ZWJ.png

1994, 1995 Indians.

No 1997?

Try again. 1988, or whatever year that was, when they beat the Yankees in that one-game playoff. :rolleyes:

i guess all the indians can hang on to is when the yankees lose to them, cause the indians are bad

besides 88 was when the yankees barely had a winning record, finished 5 in al east

No, they lost the one game playoff. Jake Taylor dropped a suicide squeeze and Willie Mays Hayes scored the winning run from second base.

Finally they got to Clu Haywood!

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I know Americans talk about teams year by year, but is there a team that was as good for as long without winning much as the Dolphins in the 80s? 1 AFC championship somehow doesn't seem enough!

Actually, Miami won two AFC titles in the 80's(82, 84), but their 82 team wasn't that good. When I think of 1982, I think of the strike and the Steelers. If Pittsburgh doesn't give that first round game away to San Diego, they would have went on to defeat the Dolphins and Jets and went to the Super Bowl. No doubt about it.

I also think that the 84 Dolphins were overrated. San Fran exposed them as a one-man team in the Super Bowl. If Denver didn't get knocked off by the Steelers in the Divisional Playoffs that year, they would have defeated Miami in the AFC Title Game. I also think that Denver would have had a decent chance to beat the Niners. There was a more positive vibe that year for the Broncos. I think that they would have played better in that Super Bowl than they ended up playing in the other three that they lost in the 80's.

Other teams:

1. 1982 Edmonton Oilers: That team had an awesome regular season, but they got knocked off by the Kings in the first round.

2. 1964 Texas Western basketball: If Jim "Bad News" Barnes wasn't called for several questionable calls early in their four-point loss to Kansas State, they probably would have beaten the Wildcats and went all the way. There are several old-time Miner fans that think that their 1964 team was better than their more famous 1966 one, and that the Bruins would have had no answer for Barnes in the Final Four.

1998 UNC and 1999 Duke. Apparently ACC teams not only win national titles in pairs, we also choke them away in a similar fashion.

I agree. 1998 should have been Duke and UNC for the title game, not Kentucky-Utah.

Archived