Pre-season new uniform thoughts

seahawk9

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aside from the glittery two-toned helmet, the Jags' new gear isn't all that bad. It's only when you compare it to what the Jaguars wore before are the new uniforms are they a bit painful to look at.

Exactly. These new uniforms aren't ugly per se. It's just that they were a completely unnecessary change from one of the nicest overall uniform sets in the league.

I do dig that teal-flake helmet though.

As for the Dolphins switching to black spikes...another completely unnecessary change. They were one of the few teams I thought that looked really great in white spikes, especially with their white-on-white uniform set.

a00aea78e57a721b089975eb8b5eda28-getty-88187254db020_jacksonville_.jpg

This is Wayne Weaver's idea of emphasizing teal in his team's look.

I don't know why the Jags even bothered including teal in their road uniforms. You can't see it on TV.

Exactly. Maybe this is another one of those "HD" designs, but I doubt it makes a difference from any distance. Bad execution, at least based on the stated reasoning for changing. At least at home they will be in teal, but on the road it doesn't work if you have to see a photo online to notice any teal and/or helmet flake.

a00aea78e57a721b089975eb8b5eda28-getty-88187254db020_jacksonville_.jpg

This is Wayne Weaver's idea of emphasizing teal in his team's look.

I don't know why the Jags even bothered including teal in their road uniforms. You can't see it on TV.

Exactly. Maybe this is another one of those "HD" designs, but I doubt it makes a difference from any distance. Bad execution, at least based on the stated reasoning for changing. At least at home they will be in teal, but on the road it doesn't work if you have to see a photo online to notice any teal and/or helmet flake.

It doesn't.

I have a hi-def TV, finally got around to getting an HDMI installed on it, and caught some of that game in hi-def. I tried my damndest to see the teal, but all I could see was black and white. I could barely even pick it up in the helmets. (And let me reiterate right here that shiny glossy helmets and flat matte pants do NOT work together.) I doubt the sun will make the least bit of difference in that aspect. That little piece of a swoosh on the pants is barely even visible.

TO paraphrase TCR's famous line: needs teal. And a good bit more of it.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

EDIT: Also, has anyone noticed more of those crazy new helmets? I only saw a few Giants wear them last year. I bet Optimus Prime would wear that style if he played football.

I think the stripes on the jersey on the jersey are cool, but I'm not sold on the pants.

The crazy new helmets are the Revolution Speed. They came out last year, I think. I like them because they look less freakish then the regular revo's. I just wish they would tone down the facemasks a tad

Some of the Giants are wearing the Riddell Revolution Speed helmets:

1RIDREVSPEED_FB09.jpg

But I think the "Optimus Prime" ones are probably the Schutt ION 4D which quite a few Giants are wearing (they were the first NFL test team for these in 2007):

ION%204D.jpg

Another shot:

ION%204D%20Front.jpg

The Lions look great. The pants stripe is nice and the honolulu blue looks brighter. If they would only ditch the black facemask for blue. The helmet stripe looks too skinny. They should look more like the Miami Hurricanes helmet stripes.

Everyone loves a roundel.

EDIT: Also, has anyone noticed more of those crazy new helmets? I only saw a few Giants wear them last year. I bet Optimus Prime would wear that style if he played football.

I think the stripes on the jersey on the jersey are cool, but I'm not sold on the pants.

The crazy new helmets are the Revolution Speed. They came out last year, I think. I like them because they look less freakish then the regular revo's. I just wish they would tone down the facemasks a tad

*IMG removed*

But I think the "Optimus Prime" ones are probably the Schutt ION 4D which quite a few Giants are wearing (they were the first NFL test team for these in 2007):

*IMGS removed

The one in the picture is a Revo speed no doubt. Look at the riddell logo at the top center of the facemask (where it meets the shell) and the facemask it's self matches the speed.

And I dig the flake coating on the Jags helmets

I don't get why people say these look like high school uniforms. High school teams don't use modern designs like these until after an NFL team uses it. Just like high school teams will use a uniform similar to the Steelers (like mine is this year) or use Northwestern stripes on their jerseys. It seems like saying they look like high school uniforms is just a way to say that you don't like modern uniforms.

Every high school in my area wears solid dark pants... navy, black... boring. The Jags (sorta) have a stripe-ish detail, but its pretty much invisible. Stripeless dark helmet, plain white jersey, stripeless dark pants, blending into dark sox... thats what looks "high school".

You know, I don't hate the Jag's uniforms as much as I thought I would. Clean look, and the reason the helmet wasnt reflecting teal was of course bc they were playing at night.

but, i have no idea why the owner thought basically keeping the same boring road look + removing teal and adding generic font and numbers would help..

teal pants are a must!! and, find a way to add gold.

I actually like what the Jags did. I'll have to see the helmets during a day game to make a final decision on that part of the look. The Lions looked good in their debut. The Niners bothered me with the stripe detail on the jerseys other than that love it. The Dolphins with black cleats look horrible.

Its just not professional. That silly "hook" around the back? Its OK (sorta) for second level college teams, but the NFL has standards... or at least should.

Solid dark pants = high school. And that "barely there" little swoop on the pants doesn't change that.

Its not "professional". OK. Should all the coaches wear suits and ties too? :rolleyes:

Guess what? Some NFL teams are just finally getting with the program (as usual, late to the party and way behind the times both on the field and off. Black shoes? The NFL only caught on with the rest of America about 15 years late. The "Wildcat" offense? About 5 years late.). Yes, the NFL has "standards". NFL Properties and its teams can create ANY type of uniform it darn well wants. Not EVERY team has to have 1970's stripes all over their uniforms just 'because'. Not EVERY team has to wear throwback uniforms. Not EVERY team has to stick a grey facemask on their helmet. Not every team has to wear striped socks; just because that is what their favorite teams used to wear in the olden days.

Speaking of NFL "standards".....why don't they make sure their players actually wear football pads in their football pants? Those "standards" are a part of EVERY other level of football.

The Jags uniforms are clean, neat and solid in most EVERY way. Could they be better with more teal? Probably. But, just because they don't look like the tired uniform trends of 1981 or 1971 (which aren't in ANY type of style anymore, with ANYONE at ANY level of football in this country) does not mean they aren't proper in 2009. There is a reason they were created in the first place. Most of their uniform elements are in style and will perservere into the next decade.

Solid dark pants = AMERICAN FOOTBALL UNIFORMS OF 2009. Sorry if that bothers some so much. Go out and actually watch some football out there, and you would already know that. Its been that way in high school and college football for over a decade now. Its the Bears and Cowboys and Chiefs and Redskins uniforms of the world who are in the miniscule minority out there. Some of these should survive because of some traditional elements. But to make fun of the MAJORITY out there, who prefer clean uniforms with sharp colors and actually UNDERSTAND the trends in American football uniforms, makes some here look stupid, to be very honest. Especially with newer teams, like Jacksonville and Houston or teams with crappy, non-descript histories like Detroit, Atlanta and Arizona. Not EVERY team has to have stripes on their pants or their jerseys. Some make it work. Some don't.

I have no problem with Pittsburgh or the Giants or Green Bay and their "traditional" looks. I have no problem with Atlanta, Detroit and Jacksonville's newer 2009 looks. Both are part of the NFL's "standards".

Now if we can just get New Orleans to match up their golds (I would go with an "old gold" to differentiate itself) and Kansas City to tidy up their uniforms and Dallas to pick a silver and blue and go with it and Buffalo to go to a "modern throwback" style, emphasizing royal blue and white with modern touches, we might have something. Those are all probably in the 'hopper' for future discussions and future changes in the next few years, I would bet.

Guess what? Some NFL teams are just finally getting with the program (as usual, late to the party and way behind the times both on the field and off. Black shoes? The NFL only caught on with the rest of America about 15 years late. The "Wildcat" offense? About 5 years late.).

In the early days of the NFL, black shoes were pretty much the norm...all most teams had. The Wildcat offense? A modern-day derivative of the Single Wing, which has been around in professional football for about as long as professional football has been in existence. You may have seen other versions of this in play over the years. Direct-snap offenses are nothing new--which, in essence, is pretty much a defining characteristic of the single-wing...some player taking the snap while not being lined up directly under center. (Might have seen some NFL teams use something called a "shotgun"? Yep...single-wing concept.) Again, the basic concept's nothing new; just with some modern-day touches, we have what we know today as the "Wildcat". For Pete's sake, the offense-inept Tampa Bay Buccaneers ran versions of this in the days of Les Steckel as offensive coordinator...and that was at LEAST eight or nine years ago.

So you see...it's all circular.

Speaking of NFL "standards".....why don't they make sure their players actually wear football pads in their football pants? Those "standards" are a part of EVERY other level of football.

That...I can agree with you on.

The Jags uniforms are clean, neat and solid in most EVERY way. Could they be better with more teal? Probably. But, just because they don't look like the tired uniform trends of 1981 or 1971 (which aren't in ANY type of style anymore, with ANYONE at ANY level of football in this country) does not mean they aren't proper in 2009. There is a reason they were created in the first place. Most of their uniform elements are in style and will perservere into the next decade.

You may want to talk to the Washington Huskies, Washington State Cougars, Pitt Panthers, Iowa Hawkeyes, Buffalo Bills, San Francisco 49ers, and Detroit Lions about that one. And these are just the teams I can think of off the top of my head who've unveiled new "traditional style" uniforms in the past couple years. (The throwbacks, in the case of the Bills, which so many now want to see the Bills use full-time.)

Solid dark pants = AMERICAN FOOTBALL UNIFORMS OF 2009. Sorry if that bothers some so much. Go out and actually watch some football out there, and you would already know that. Its been that way in high school and college football for over a decade now. Its the Bears and Cowboys and Chiefs and Redskins uniforms of the world who are in the miniscule minority out there. Some of these should survive because of some traditional elements. But to make fun of the MAJORITY out there, who prefer clean uniforms with sharp colors and actually UNDERSTAND the trends in American football uniforms, makes some here look stupid, to be very honest. Especially with newer teams, like Jacksonville and Houston or teams with crappy, non-descript histories like Detroit, Atlanta and Arizona. Not EVERY team has to have stripes on their pants or their jerseys. Some make it work. Some don't.

Hmmm...let me think of all the teams in the NFL that currently use solid dark pants:

Browns (now)

Jaguars (may as well include them)

Saints (sometimes)

Ravens

That only looks like four to me. I'll even give you the Bengals and Texans, if you want to split hairs. That's six out of 32. And at least two are debatable.

To the second bolded point...

"Traditional" style uniforms still in existence today:

Oakland Raiders

Kansas City Chiefs

Cleveland Browns

Pittsburgh Steelers

New York Jets

Miami Dolphins (if one wants to split hairs)

Buffalo Bills (even with all the extraneous colors)

Indianapolis Colts

Seattle Seahawks (again, if one wants to split hairs)

San Francisco 49ers

Green Bay Packers

Detroit Lions

Chicago Bears

Washington Redskins

Dallas Cowboys

New York Giants

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

New Orleans Saints

Hardly seems like a "minority" to me...especially not a miniscule minority.

Its the Bears and Cowboys and Chiefs and Redskins uniforms of the world who are in the miniscule minority out there. Some of these should survive because of some traditional elements. But to make fun of the MAJORITY out there, who prefer clean uniforms with sharp colors and actually UNDERSTAND the trends in American football uniforms, makes some here look stupid, to be very honest. Especially with newer teams, like Jacksonville and Houston or teams with crappy, non-descript histories like Detroit, Atlanta and Arizona. Not EVERY team has to have stripes on their pants or their jerseys. Some make it work. Some don't.

I love the delicious irony in that piece.

---------

Look, Dennis, you make some good points in some of your posts. However, there's a way to phrase anything tactfully and without coming off as short-sighted or "assholish"...a good many of your posts do read that way. Understand that though some may disagree with your stances sometimes, others do agree...that includes me. BUT...it's the manner in which you phrase your points that makes you an easy target to shoot at sometimes. And this most previous post of yours if a good example of that.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Where's the TEAL ?????????? I can't tell if these are the Ravens of Jaguars. TOO much Black. And what was the point in adding teal flakes to the black helmet ? Barly noticable up close and don't even notice it from a distance so what was the point ???????

The helmets won't really "pop" until the sun hits it during day games.

The Jags colors are teal and black. They wear teal at home. They wear black on the road. Its not too hard to figure.

The Jaguars PRIMARY color is teal. SECONDARY color is black. The Primay color should take prominence over seconday colors on both home and road uniforms.

So are you as irritated by the Giants' blueless road jerseys as I am?

I'm with Bucco on not getting the dichotomy between the awesome shiny helmets and the sloppy dull pants. The Jaguars really are a pretty weak operation, when you think about it. What do you expect from a team that only exists so that they could add Charlotte to the other conference but not waste St. Louis or Baltimore on expansion.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Lions play indoors... night, day, it just don't matter.

Ha... true. So the blue is brighter?

Ask colorwerx

According to the official specs - no, it didn't change:

DetroitLions_FRC_9999_TEX_SRGB.png

Always keep in mind, that the Textile colors I display here reflect what the Style Guide files state as the official colors. Whether or not Reebok actually follows these guidelines is anyone's guess.

Lions new duds in action....

T1_0816_staffordrobbins.jpg

Still not too crazy about the Lions having black at all, but at least now it actually looks integrated into their identity and not just tacked on like it was before. In other words, if the Lions MUST use black, this is something I can live with.

No offense, but this is one of the worst posts I've read on the boards, just IMO couldn't disagree more.

You have your opinion and that's fine, but I just think YOU'RE in the huge minority here, at least on these boards. Before you go and shoot your shortminded theory across at everyone, take a step back and realize most people on here like the traditional look. That's just this place.

And I'm pretty sure the reason high school teams use solid dark pants so much is because they are MUCH, MUCH cheaper. I've done work with athletic directors on uniforms and prices can skyrocket when more stripes and pipes get added to the jersey or pants, and THAT'S why you see so many HS teams wear them, not because they're trying to revolutionize football and waiting til the NFL does the same thing later.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

*IMG removed*

*IMGS removed

The one in the picture is a Revo speed no doubt. Look at the riddell logo at the top center of the facemask (where it meets the shell) and the facemask it's self matches the speed.

And I dig the flake coating on the Jags helmets

The photo that was originally referenced was blocked to me at work so I couldn't see it and assumed it was a photo of a Giants player as I saw quite a few of them wearing the Schutt ION. Of course you (and everyone else) are correct that was a Revolution Speed helmet.

Archived