Pre-season new uniform thoughts

seahawk9

Thank God they fixed the sleeve stripes! The thing that bugged me the most about the last set was that they looked like cheap electrical tape on the sleeves.

It look's like they didn't go the cheap 'screened' route and actually had the stripes made into the fabric (i.e. Steelers) which looks alot better IMO.

And does anybody else think that the NFL needs to set a standard sleeve length?

Been there...discussed that! It would ruin the many franchises 'almost there' sleeve look by actually giving jersey's today...sleeves! How dare you suggest such a thing! :P

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just watched the Green Bay - Buffalo replay on NFL Network... man, have the Packers' TV numbers always been so large?

ed28d2d199d3b3b6b9ab18347b390514-getty-88192368sb028_bill_packer.jpg

Funny you should say that because I've seen several teams this year that seem to have bigger TV numbers. Unfortunately I can't remember which ones off the top of my head but I'll start watching for it and list them.

Saw the Giants roads with the new jerseys...meh. They're awful. The name is about an inch above the number, which looks ridiculous, and in play, the names and numbers get all askew. Seems odd that a league so anal about uniform rules will let a team look that crappy.

Is it just me, or is the helmet logo on his helmet smaller than in past years?

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

the lions look pretty good on the road.

lions-2.jpg

lionsA.jpg

Am I the only one who thinks the helmet stripes look way too thin on the new Lions' helmets?

Actually I think the helmet and pant match well, it's the sleeve black that much thicker than need be. That being said, WAY too much outline of an outline going on... crazy. Stick to one outline and these would be very nice. (see how nice the name plate looks on the back?)

Watching the Giants against the Bears Saturday, their new jerseys remind me a lot of what Nike has done with their more elite schools (Florida, Georgia etc.), where they shrink the nameplate, numbers, and use newer fabrics that look much more stretchy. I like it, and I LOVE that they reduced the sleeve stripes on the whites so thye whole damn thing can fit on the sleeve (now WHY the hell can't the Niners do the same??)

Comparing this fabric to the Bears' home jerseys, I couldn't stop being distracted by how see-through the navy blue mesh was; you could make out the brand and size of shoulder pads every Bears player was wearing, and even the freakin' nameplates appeared to have white backing on the mesh making them very difficult to read.

like so:

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/90038964....BBAB397FFAE706F

I might have to take back what I've said about liking those new Jaguars helmets. They looked fine on the road uniforms, but the shade of blue reflected in the helmet doesn't seem to match the blue in the jerseys --- not the matching shade of blue has ever been a big deal to NFL teams.

I'm not normally a fan of white-on-white-on-dark helmet, but the Eagles look sharp.

Strangely enough I really, really like the new lions jerseys... and I feel like I'm blaspheming but the black trim adds to the design.

Some thoughts on the Jags, from working the Eagles game tonight:

The pants stripes are just silly. From any distance, they just look like someone scribbled on their white pants with a sharpie.

The swooshy design gimmick thing on their jerseys is barely even noticeable from any reasonable distance. Totally unnecessary, doesn't add anything to the uniform.

The helmets had absolutely no noticeable color-change effect going on. I get that it'll probably be more obvious during day games, but they do play night games too.

The number font is not as legible as the previous one.

Overall, seeing these up close and in person, they are horrible. I still cannot believe that they ditched a "modern classic" for this. The old ones were so close to perfect.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Some thoughts on the Jags, from working the Eagles game tonight:

The pants stripes are just silly. From any distance, they just look like someone scribbled on their white pants with a sharpie.

The swooshy design gimmick thing on their jerseys is barely even noticeable from any reasonable distance. Totally unnecessary, doesn't add anything to the uniform.

The helmets had absolutely no noticeable color-change effect going on. I get that it'll probably be more obvious during day games, but they do play night games too.

The number font is not as legible as the previous one.

Overall, seeing these up close and in person, they are horrible. I still cannot believe that they ditched a "modern classic" for this. The old ones were so close to perfect.

Pretty spot on review of the unis. I have to agree.

I understand why they wanted to change the design of the previous unis, and I definitely understand the concept of wanting a simpler unified look with the new ones. But these new uniforms just don't cut it for me.

I love the helmet with its reflecting color gimmick. The biggest problem I have with the unis is the fact that there isn't any gold in them, the numbers looked better before and the senseless use of the swooshy design piping.

All in all, I'd take the old unis back in a heart beat over these guys. Hopefully they'll rethink the uniform design in the coming years....that is of course if Jacksonville retains the team. In which case they might have to completely rebrand the team. Hopefully that won't be the case, but I just don't see how the franchise can survive in that type of very localized small market. Green Bay is one thing, but Jacksonville is a completely different scenario.

I actually have the new Jaguars new proline helmet, and the teal glitter is really only noticeable when light is shined directly on the helmet (out in the sun, spotlight, etc). I have to say it looks really nice, and they included the effect on the facemask as well.

Kevin

I might have to take back what I've said about liking those new Jaguars helmets. They looked fine on the road uniforms, but the shade of blue reflected in the helmet doesn't seem to match the blue in the jerseys --- not the matching shade of blue has ever been a big deal to NFL teams.

That's not surprising, when you consider the clusterf*** that has been the history of the Jaguars' uniforms. They've tweaked their uniforms at least NINE times in 14 years...and they wonder why they don't have an identity. They certainly didn't help when they dropped all the gold from the uniforms this year... :blink:

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

That's not surprising, when you consider the clusterf*** that has been the history of the Jaguars' uniforms. They've tweaked their uniforms at least NINE times in 14 years.

I would have guessed about five or six changes over the Jags' history, but nine?? Good lord.

6uXNWAo.png

That's not surprising, when you consider the clusterf*** that has been the history of the Jaguars' uniforms. They've tweaked their uniforms at least NINE times in 14 years.

I would have guessed about five or six changes over the Jags' history, but nine?? Good lord.

Nine times.

Wake up and smell the coffee. They're just leading you down the primrose path.

Archived