2010 USA Hockey jerseys

dcameronh

They need to go to those third jerseys which are simple and classic.

No doubt. Can you imagine how great the blue version of that would be compared to the new boring one?

A missed opportunity staring them in the face.

It bothers me that the blue ones have the stars waaaaaay up on top and the stripes waaaaaay down at the bottom of the sleeves and the white ones have the Stars below the number area and the stripes way up by the elbows. Not to mention the blue jersey's stripes are so much wider than the white. Were they done by different people? Goofy neckline on both. Reminds me of the Predators third jerseys.

And why is the blue so freakin' dark? They might as well be black. You can clearly see it's not the same shade of blue from the flag by the players neck where it's lit properly.

And if you are going with such a simplistic, nearly retro look for the jerseys, why continue to use the modern looking Canucks number font? Coulda, shoulda been better.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

No doubt. Can you imagine how great the blue version of that would be compared to the new boring one?

A missed opportunity staring them in the face.

It bothers me that the blue ones have the stars waaaaaay up on top and the stripes waaaaaay down at the bottom of the sleeves and the white ones have the Stars below the number area and the stripes way up by the elbows. Not to mention the blue jersey's stripes are so much wider than the white.

Probably. The white is just their current IIHF white jersey with the generic block USA instead of the USA hockey logo. The blue seems to be a special design for the Olympics that are only roughly based on the IIHF uniforms.

And why is the blue so freakin' dark? They might as well be black. You can clearly see it's not the same shade of blue from the flag by the players neck where it's lit properly.

Anthracite! Or maybe bitumen.

The square collar on these jerseys is what ruins it for me.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

The square collar on these jerseys is what ruins it for me.

Agreed.

That and the fact that the "USA" seems so low on the jersey...

That said I'll probably end up buying a white one just like I did with the basketball jerseys. I just think the design came out better on the white jersey in both cases.

And hopefully I can put Bobby Ryan's name/number on it. (Too bad it won't be 9 either because of Modano and Parise in front of him.)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

I don't like how they changed up the design between the white and dark jerseys. Why move the star and striping placement and mess with the stripe sizes? For kicks and giggles? Plus, moving the stripes lower on the sleeves of the dark jersey makes it almost guaranteed that they will be covered up by the gloves. It really isn't a cohesive set.

In my opinion, they wasted a good opportunity to make the set better. In fact, I'd say that they made it worse simply by making the dark jersey different from the white.

Slightly updated versions of these would have been gold, Jerry, gold!

usa2-1.jpg

I think it can be argued that is exactly what they did.

It doesn't even need to be argued. I'd say they did update those jerseys, but they did more than just "slightly update" them. I just think they went too far off the grid. I would have liked it if they stayed more faithful to both of those jerseys, and maybe just updated the blue to a darker, more accurate shade, and possibly just thin out the striping a bit. Other than that, maybe put a border around the stars, and tweak the collars if need be, but otherwise, just stick to the USA jerseys that were made most famous in 1980. If the powers that be insisted on having a 3rd/alternate, to sell more jerseys, then Nike could have gone off the rails for that, and made something with crazy designs and wordmarks.

17d39f21-957a-437b-8af3-d3e112b5259f.gif

USA Third Jerseys =

leetch.jpg

The 3rd jersey is a replica of the jersey that was used in 1960, when the US won their first gold medal. I know the Rangers wore the same/similar jersey, as the one you posted, back then, so it's entirely possible that they basically swiped that template for those games.

17d39f21-957a-437b-8af3-d3e112b5259f.gif

USA Third Jerseys =

leetch.jpg

The 3rd jersey is a replica of the jersey that was used in 1960, when the US won their first gold medal. I know the Rangers wore the same/similar jersey, as the one you posted, back then, so it's entirely possible that they basically swiped that template for those games.

I believe Gerry Cosby's (the Rangers' jersey supplier for many years) made the USA uniforms in the 50s and 60s. I remember seeing a 1964 jersey with a blue and white Cosby neck patch in The National Sports Museum and it was mislabeled 1960 since the patch on the front was all wrong.

Archived