Hockey Helmets

njmeadowlanders

So I got to thinking today, we all know football helmets have all sorts of designs and logos and whatnot, but why not hockey helmets? I know that there are a lot more helmet shells with different contours and whatnot, and that when college teams try to replicate their school football helmets they don't look so hot, but why haven't teams experimented a bit?

I'm not talking a tiny little logo sticker above the ear or whatever, I mean helmet stripes, bigger logos, etc. More football-esque.

There has to be a reason nobody's really made an attempt at it right? Baseball teams have different colors for home and away to match their caps, so that wouldn't be a real excuse.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

So I got to thinking today, we all know football helmets have all sorts of designs and logos and whatnot, but why not hockey helmets? I know that there are a lot more helmet shells with different contours and whatnot, and that when college teams try to replicate their school football helmets they don't look so hot, but why haven't teams experimented a bit?

I'm not talking a tiny little logo sticker above the ear or whatever, I mean helmet stripes, bigger logos, etc. More football-esque.

There has to be a reason nobody's really made an attempt at it right? Baseball teams have different colors for home and away to match their caps, so that wouldn't be a real excuse.

I think you answered your own question regarding the multiple shells and contours. There's really not the kind of smooth space on a hockey helmet (unless you add something to the top) that you get with football. As well, hockey jerseys are one of the few in sports that already display a team's logo in full size front and centre. Baseball to a lesser degree depending on the team. I think it would make the overall look cluttered if you started adding designs to the helmets...goal tenders obviously excluded.

zzPEfBm.png

Two reasons:

1. Hockey helmets are't really apart of the traditional uniform. They have only been mandated by the NHL since 1980 and there were helmetless players all the way up until the late 90's. As such designs for helmets outside of a wordmark or small logo never really developed.

2. More importantly as pointed out hockey helmets aren't smooth like football and baseball helmets. Most importantly hockey helmets are made to be adjustable so that there is a tight fit around the head. As such any logo and stripes look awful with all the ridges.

I think another decent guess would be the fact that manuafacturer's logos are prominently displayed on the helmets (reebok, nike/bauer, mission, etc). The money the league gets, and the players get, to wear the specifically branded helmets, probably overrides the desire to have a fancypants helmet design.

Plus, it would look dumb.

Avalanche.png

Ohio State's hockey team did wear silver helmets with the football helmet's stripe on them for one game back in 03 or 04. The game was against Michigan. There was a public outcry (for some reason) that the hockey team had the nerve to use the football team's helmet design and also the hockey players wanted to distance themselves from the football team. This is all based on the speculation I've heard as well as what I've heard from John Markell (OSU's head coach as well as a close personal friend of my father and the creator of the 'football' hockey helmet).

PvO6ZWJ.png

There was a public outcry (for some reason) that the hockey team had the nerve to use the football team's helmet design

Reason = lots of Buckeye fans are drooling townies?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived