Portland Trailblazers new uniforms?

Schilly

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The nickname Rip City is usually used in the context of the city's NBA team, the Portland Trail Blazers. The term was coined by the team's legendary play-by-play announcer Bill Schonely during a game against the Los Angeles Lakers in the Blazers' first season. In a recurring segment on Comcast SportsNet Northwest, Schonely explained that a three-point play by Blazers' player Jim Barnett caused the net on the basket to rip. Schonely exclaimed "Rip City!" at the sight, and a member of his broadcasting team urged him to run with that as a rallying cry for the young team.

From Wiki... so take it as you will...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

On the plus side, it doesn't have "PDX", or an exclamation point. And that... that's about it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

That red throwback is the most beautiful jersey on the planet. PERFECTION!

The white one... meh... I don't hate it. I appreciate the nod to the history of the Blazers and how they put Portland on the map, but, hmm... I need to think this one over.

As for the history of "Rip City", JQK's Wiki quote is mostly accurate. Schonely also used the phrase when he was the PBP man for the Seattle Pilots, but I don't think enough people listened to Pilots games to really recall that! :-)

BTW -- shouldn't there be a 40th Anniversary logo somewhere?

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

That red throwback is the most beautiful jersey on the planet. PERFECTION!

yes it is...love it.

as for the Rip City...meh its a novel idea, but hopefully we'll only see it once this year. also, the numbers should match the wordmark imo. what im really waiting for is completely new uniforms and/or logo set (maybe mine? :P).

The only thing I don't like about the actual design is the number has multiple outlines that don't go at all with the un-lined wordmark. But I wish they said "Rose City" instead of "Rip City"... if you have to explain the nickname, it's not good.

They need to acquire Richard Hamilton now.

First thought I had too.

Archived