Texas State Bobcats "refine" logo

Waffles

The athletics department at Texas State is changing its logo to make it more versatile and efficient.

School officials said the lettering in ?Texas State? in the old logo was difficult to use because it was not a common typography. In fact, each letter was its own, unique design, thus making it difficult to use the typeface outside the logo.

So, the university has developed a new typeface to be called ?Wacker,? in honor of Jim Wacker, who won two NCAA Division II football championships at Texas State in 1981 and 1982, then returned in the late 1990s as athletic director.

Full article here

NEW:

newsupercat.jpg

OLD:

texas_state_bobcat.jpg

School officials said the lettering in ?Texas State? in the old logo was difficult to use because it was not a common typography. In fact, each letter was its own, unique design, thus making it difficult to use the typeface outside the logo.

Most wordmarks are designed with a custom or altered font, so they can't be easily replicated by any Joe off the street who wants to sell bootleg Wildcats merchandise.

Also, "Wacker" is a terrible name for a font!

I thought Texas State was the Fightin' Armadillos?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I thought Texas State was the Fightin' Armadillos?

Yeah, I don't get why Southwest Texas would change their name to university from Necessary Roughness without changing their mascot. Fumble-lya!

And they should have a statue of Sinbad on campus as well.

draft_krimm.jpg

Most wordmarks are designed with a custom or altered font, so they can't be easily replicated by any Joe off the street who wants to sell bootleg Wildcats merchandise.

Also, "Wacker" is a terrible name for a font!

I don't think they have to worry about too many people selling bootleg Texas St. merchandise. Most of their students wear UT stuff.

When are they moving up from I-AA to I-A? (Yeah I still call it that, not FBS or FCS)

No earlier than 2011, the NCAA has put a moratorium on teams moving up until then. I believe they have done a feasability study on the move though.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

When are they moving up from I-AA to I-A? (Yeah I still call it that, not FBS or FCS)

No earlier than 2011, the NCAA has put a moratorium on teams moving up until then. I believe they have done a feasability study on the move though.

so would they leave the southland for the sun belt????

That would be my guess, but ya never know about conference usa or the wac. I'm sure Louisiana Tech would love to have someone else in their time zone to play against.

Not necessarily. The football team could join a 1-A conference or play as an independent while competing in the Southland for the rest of its sports.

Not necessarily. The football team could join a 1-A conference or play as an independent while competing in the Southland for the rest of its sports.

I think the Southland was done with that type of arrangement once ULM left the Southland. For many years after they moved up in football, they remained in the conference in other sports until the Sunbelt added football. Then they moved to the Sunbelt all together. I don't think the Southland wants that.

Personally, I like the new font. I didn't hate the old font, but I like the new one. I wonder if there will be any changes to the unis.

gYH2mW9.png

Archived