Players Who Have Been on Both Sides of a Rivalry

rmackman

I think this thread as a whole is illustrating perfectly, that these "rivalries" exist only in the minds of fans, that they mean squat to players. To professional players, each team is simply an employer. They'll think nothing of going from the Red Sox to the Yankees, vice versa or any other move that is utter treason to a fan. It's just a job and a paycheck to them, man.

Alot of rivalries are pure fan rivalries, and teams are just employers to players. You're right about all that. But there are some rivalries that are present not only among the fans, but the players. Mostly in schools, but also in pro sports, pure all-around rivalries do exist. The fact that some players switch teams doesn't take that away, IMO. Just because a player switches from one rival to another for money or play time or something doesn't mean he doesn't care its a rival. He's just been influenced into the other side of it.

oBIgzrL.png

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Marcus Allen yet,and yes i looked before i posted it ;)

Raiders

MarcusAllen.jpg

Chiefs

SPORTS8-MARCUS.jpg

Man, I was looking through the thread before I posted it. I miss that guy.

I think this thread as a whole is illustrating perfectly, that these "rivalries" exist only in the minds of fans, that they mean squat to players. To professional players, each team is simply an employer. They'll think nothing of going from the Red Sox to the Yankees, vice versa or any other move that is utter treason to a fan. It's just a job and a paycheck to them, man.

Yep a lot of sportsmen are whores basically. Not all of them maybe, but its amazing that so many players don't think twice about jumping between such rivals.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Phillies/Mets

Pedro Martinez

Billy Wagner

Endy Chavez

Marlon Anderson

Julio Franco

Todd Zeile

Todd Pratt

Jeff Conine

Ricky Ledee

Tyler Walker

Turk Wendell

Dennis Cook

Miguel Cairo

Roberto Hernandez

Ricky Bottalico

Eric Valent

Bruce Chen

Nelson Figueroa

Desi Relaford

Jose Santiago

Ramon Martinez

Abe Nunez

Kane Davis

...and that's just in the 2000s.

Lenny Dykstra and Juan Samuel were traded for each other, but that was the late 80s, and since both teams stunk I'm not sure if it was really a rivalry during the Ashburn and McGraw days, but they're also on the list...

Eagles/Cowboys

Terrell Owens

Randall Cunningham

Herschel Walker

Luis Zendejas

Roger Ruzek

Chris Boniol

Brian Baldinger

Keith Adams

Garry Cobb

Kelvin Martin

Darrin Smith

Junior Tautalatasi

Daniel Stubbs

Eagles/Giants

Carlos Emmons

Sean Landeta

Dhani Jones

Tank Daniels

Brian Mitchell

Mark Bavaro

Mark Ingram

Jerome McDougle

Tim Hasselbeck

Eagles/Redskins

Jeremiah Trotter

Brian Mitchell

James Thrash

David Akers

N.D. Kalu

Shawn Barber

Troy Vincent

Irving Fryar

Rodney Peete

Marco Coleman

Art Monk

Kurt Gouveia

Mark Rypien

Eddie Murray

Tim Hasselbeck

Darnerien McCants

Raleigh McKenzie

Not a player but a coach. Marvin Lewis was the defensive coordinator for the Ravens from 1996-2001. In the 2001 offseason he switched to become the Redskins defensive coordinator/assistant head coach after being snubbed by the Panthers. The very next offseason he became the Bengals head coach. I've wished him success, but its been hard given the teams he's been with since the Ravens.

bengals_zoom.jpg

lg_lewis_all.jpg

lewis.marvin.1_article.jpg

So basically, it's now just "guys who played on different teams". Got it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So basically, it's now just "guys who played on different teams". Got it.

Well, technically it's at least "guys who were members of teams that on occasion, play against each other."

That way, they could get as many hockey players as they wanted in there.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

A quick follow-up to the question about playing for every team in a division: he hasn't come close to doing it, but Matt Stairs has played for at least two teams in every division except the NL West, where he's never played.... ^_^

For Saintsfan:

getty_harry_redknapp405.jpg

article-0-03B54E0C0000044D-546_468x317.jpg

Now, that's playing both sides

Yeah I was trying to forget that! The slightly odd thing is he left Portsmouth to go to Southampton, got relegated, and went pretty much straight back to Pompey, having never really shown much empathy with Southampton.

Odd though, I still think he is one of the best managers around. Spurs are probably my favourite team in the Premier League, and he is doing a bang up job there at the moment.

Its also true that Spurs and West Ham are traditional rivals, and Redknapp has a long history with the Hammers, so I wonder how West Ham fans feel about that??

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

For Saintsfan:

getty_harry_redknapp405.jpg

article-0-03B54E0C0000044D-546_468x317.jpg

Now, that's playing both sides

Yeah I was trying to forget that! The slightly odd thing is he left Portsmouth to go to Southampton, got relegated, and went pretty much straight back to Pompey, having never really shown much empathy with Southampton.

Odd though, I still think he is one of the best managers around. Spurs are probably my favourite team in the Premier League, and he is doing a bang up job there at the moment.

Its also true that Spurs and West Ham are traditional rivals, and Redknapp has a long history with the Hammers, so I wonder how West Ham fans feel about that??

I thought about posting the West Ham-Tottenham one too, but the Hammers aren't Spurs' primary rival while Southampton and Pompey are each other's. (I also didn't want to further dilute this thread.)

And, yeah, I did know that Harry pinballed between the two South Coast sides. I remember when I first heard he might leave the Saints for Pompey I wasn't even surprised.

Slightly o/t, but Saintsfan, you should read Bloody Confused by Chuck Culpepper. It's about an American sportswriter becoming a Pompey supporter but very interesting nonetheless.

Archived