Hawks/Thrashers Owner Belkin Loses in Court

DustDevil61

This is probably it because even though Belkin's likely to appeal since this was a major blow for him, he's probably not going to win the appeal and will be bought out sooner or later. The rest of the owners need to come up with a better way to buy out Belkin because that's the main thing that's keeping this from finally being over. He's going to appeal, but he's got no chance. Belkin is now on borrowed time as a member of the Atlanta Spirit group.

As far as the two teams are concerned, this is a boon. I think that the Thrashers are going to be put up for sale (presumably to someone that's going to keep them in ATL), and the owners are going to focus on the one thing that they really wanted in this: the Hawks. This is good news for the Hawks because even though they had money to bring in people when Atlanta Spirit came in, no free agent would even come within 50 feet of an Atlanta Hawks contract. Now that the Hawks are actually somewhat good, they'll have some money to throw around to players that actually want to come here.

As far as the Thrashers are concerned, if they can get new ownership, that'd help them so much since it's obvious that the owners don't pay too much attention to them.

As far as the Thrashers are concerned, if they can get new ownership, that'd help them so much since it's obvious that the owners don't pay too much attention to them.

That distinction just isn't true. The owners favor basketball, sure, but they're paying plenty of attention to the Thrashers.

Short-term, Belkin's likely to appeal, and we'll anxiously await yet another court ruling. Also, since Belkin's currently not in the process of being bought out, he'll now be chipping in on some of the costs. Belkin hasn't been paying a dime the past 4 years. And apparently, Belkin's feeling the economic pinch (he's mainly involved in the credit industry, I think), so he may be willing to settle sooner rather than later. Belkin owns 30% of the teams and the arena....Atlanta Spirit's been operating on a 70% budget.

Long-term, and this depends on the buyout process.....Atlanta Spirit either spends more money for both teams (now that they aren't as handcuffed as they were under this litigation process), or they sell the Thrashers only (the NBA and the arena are big money-makers) to a local buyer.

And, to those vultures in southern Ontario wanting to move a team to Hamilton....the Thrashers are here for at least 5 more seasons, as their agreement with the NHL dictates.

I still think this thing is long from over. There's gonna be a series of appeals, I believe, as well as a lengthy process in determining how much to buy Belkin out.....

And, to those vultures in southern Ontario wanting to move a team to Hamilton.... fuhgeddaboudit, the NHL has already made it plain three times now that they don't want a team in that market, no matter how much money you're willing to throw at them. Now, to those other vultures in Kansas City, Las Vegas etc.... the Thrashers are here for at least 5 more seasons, as their agreement with the NHL dictates.

Fixed. :)

CCSLC signature.png

If Balsillie doesn't get the 'yotes, he'll go after the thrashers next. I just hope he plays his cards right this time.

The NHL isn't going to let him near any cards after the Phoenix fiasco.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If Balsillie doesn't get the 'yotes, he'll go after the thrashers next. I just hope he plays his cards right this time.

Considering he just got unanimously rejected as a potential owner, Balsillie will never get an NHL team. The owners have to approve (by votes) any ownership change.

Considering he just got unanimously rejected as a potential owner, Balsillie will never get an NHL team. The owners have to approve (by votes) any ownership change.

They don't if the Court says they don't haha! Also they say that the vote was 26-0 with one absent and 3 abstainers...but that equals 30, meaning that the Coyotes voted...or abstained...or were absent?

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

They don't if the Court says they don't haha! Also they say that the vote was 26-0 with one absent and 3 abstainers...but that equals 30, meaning that the Coyotes voted...or abstained...or were absent?

The court is going to agree with them. Read up on American Needle vs. the NFL.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived