Worst team the DID win a championship

Saintsfan

Which teams do you still wonder how on earth did they go all the way??

I think the Ravens Superbowl team (maybe more specifically their offense in fairness to Ray Lewis et al) would be high on my list.

The Pistons of 89 and 90 (was it) would be high on the list of worst teams to repeat!

A controversial one, given there place in football legend would be the 84 Bears. (Another team without too much offense really!)

Maybe the greatest show on turf Rams team would get a mention, given a relatively weak defense as well!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Ravens Superbowl team (maybe more specifically their offense in fairness to Ray Lewis et al) would be high on my list.

The Pistons of 89 and 90 (was it) would be high on the list of worst teams to repeat!

A controversial one, given there place in football legend would be the 84 Bears. (Another team without too much offense really!)

Maybe the greatest show on turf Rams team would get a mention, given a relatively weak defense as well!

This could be partly due to some homerism, but i think most people will agree. The 85 bears are probably one of the best teams to ever win a championship. First of all, one of the best defenses of all time. Singletary, the fridge, otis wilson, richard dent, steve mcmichael, gary fencik. i mean come on! thats not even fair. and um, no offense? have you ever heard of walter payton??? he is a one man offense, a dominating offense at that. Willie Gault, one of the most underrated wide recievers of all time. they scored 46 points in the super bowl for a reason, you know? walter payton didnt even score in that game!

sorry for the keyboard explosion there

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

So... you really hate defense, huh?

So... you really hate defense, huh?

Defense Wins Championships!

Interesting Stanley Cup Champion point totals, I'm not knocking them, they just seem to be low point totals for a championship team:

1991 Pittsburgh 88 Points (1st in division)

1992 Pittsburgh 87 Points (3rd in division)

1997 Detroit 94 Points (2nd in division)

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

The MLB teams that have won the World Series with steroid-using players.

So that would be pretty much all of them since the 80s right? What about the teams who won with players popping amphetamines?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The MLB teams that have won the World Series with steroid-using players.

So that would be pretty much all of them since the 80s right? What about the teams who won with players popping amphetamines?

Hey, what about teams who played in a diluted talent pool because they played during segregation and only white people were allowed to play?

THE DEBATE IS OVER

There is only one answer to this question and it is the 1937/38 Chicago Blackhawks

They finished in third place with a record of 14-25-9. 11 games below .500 but got into the postseason and won the Stanley Cup.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

2005 Pittsburgh Steelers

2000 Baltimore Ravens

2006 St. Louis Cardinals

I really want to add the 2003 Marlins in there, but I just can't.... not without some convincing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The 1988 Los Angeles Dodgers. Orel Hershiser, one AB by Kirk Gibson, and a bunch of guys named Mickey Hatcher win the World Series.

The '84 Bears didn't win anything so I don't know how that makes them the worst to win a title. :D

BB52Big.jpg

THE DEBATE IS OVER

There is only one answer to this question and it is the 1937/38 Chicago Blackhawks

They finished in third place with a record of 14-25-9. 11 games below .500 but got into the postseason and won the Stanley Cup.

For once I agree with Tank. No further need for discussion.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

1997 Florida Marlins

Moises Alou leads the team with 23 HR's, No batter finished the season hitting 300. (Although Bobby Bonilla came close)

Maybe not the flashy numbers that usually come along with World Series Champions but I guess they did prove lightning does strike twice in the same place 6 years later.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Interesting Stanley Cup Champion point totals, I'm not knocking them, they just seem to be low point totals for a championship team:

1991 Pittsburgh 88 Points (1st in division)

1992 Pittsburgh 87 Points (3rd in division)

1997 Detroit 94 Points (2nd in division)

-Dan

Remember all of those seasons were before getting a point for losing in OT and having guaranteed winners, which has helped inflate NHL point totals dramatically. In the case of the 91 and 92 Penguins those point totals came in an 80 game regular season as opposed to an 82 or 84 game season (The latter in place in 1993 and 94).

The winning percentages worked out as following:

1991 Penguins: .550 (7th overall in the league)

1992 Penguins: .544 (Tied for 6th best in the league, the Patrick Division was stacked that year)

1997 Red Wings: .573 (5th best in the league)

While there aren't great there have been worse champions.

The 2000 Baltimore Ravens

(is that a homer or anti-homer pick? :P)

It's not like they were 8-8. They went 12-4 and won their last seven in a row entering the playoffs.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived