Pirates wearing 1979 throwbacks vs Reds today

risio

love the pirates uniforms, i thought i wouldnt like the black pants but i actually do on this set. i dont like the pillbox hat, but if they used those hats in regular 5950 with the black alt or somehting , with out the lines on it it would be really nice looking. the pirates need a modern yellow alt too because it looks great. i dont mind the baggyness because im 17 and HATE tight clothes so i can feel for the players....who wants to wear skin tight stuff when playing sports?

Then why even wear throwbacks if it is all about catering to contemporary player tastes?

It really does a disservice to the idea of bothering with throwbacks if you don't even wear them close to how players wore uniforms at the time. The Pirate pants looks especially wrong because their players wore very high stirrups and socks back then.

Even if I was getting paid the league minimum, I could suck it up and wear a throwback uniform correctly for one game, as long as everyone else was in the same boat. Clearly teams and manufacturers have done a lot better job than this just this year. The White Sox-A's game just last week looked 100x better than this stuff.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to the game two nights ago hoping the bucs would sport the all-pinstripe or all-black look. No luck. Pinstripe shirt with black pants looks like mismatching pajamas. (Then again, any 70's pullover uni looks like pajamas, but I digress.)

Still love the black versions of the hat, though (when not Stargell Star covered). Wore mine and a shirt that says "We Are Family."

oBIgzrL.png

love the pirates uniforms, i thought i wouldnt like the black pants but i actually do on this set. i dont like the pillbox hat, but if they used those hats in regular 5950 with the black alt or somehting , with out the lines on it it would be really nice looking. the pirates need a modern yellow alt too because it looks great. i dont mind the baggyness because im 17 and HATE tight clothes so i can feel for the players....who wants to wear skin tight stuff when playing sports?

The thing is...they DON'T have to be skin tight! They simply could make them fit like today's uniforms and they wouldn't be baggy!

Archived