Cowboys Stadium - Emphasizing Navy and Silver

TruColor

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm pretty sure that the Cowboys put the screen 5 feet above what the NFL recommended. They recommended 85 feet, Dallas put it at 90.

True but what that seems to indicate is that the NFL needs to review the minimum height. Wonder when the minimum was established? Doesn't it follow that punters, like all other players, are bigger and stronger now? Maybe what worked as a minimum then doesn't work now, maybe back in the day you had one of two guys like Ray Guy who could do it and now some Titans free agent can.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

* This was a far more modest setup than the Cowboys have, a 4-sided (IIRC) projection screen deal

Minor correction, my fellow Saints fan -- it was six-sided. One each for the sidelines, then one for each for corners.

new_orleans_saints.jpg

Yeah the old "gondola" that could be raised and lowered via cables, from the peak of the dome all the way down to the floor. Held not only the screens underneath, but also some speakers, moveable spotlights, and could hold connections for stage backdrops and the like. The six projection cameras were in the terrace (upper deck) placed in areas that resembled six entry portals, with garage-door type covers that could be closed when they weren't in use.

Of course, the entire gondola contraption is gone now.....

It is what it is.

Being a Cowboys fan, I think the new stadium is one of the ugliest things I've ever seen. It's evident that Jones looked at Houston, Glendale, and other 2000's stadiums, mixed them together, and threw more money at it. They even didn't try to match their surroundings with the Ballpark in Arlington and the brick and limestone facade, something that is key in Texan architecture.

Then again, the stadium isn't meant to be a home for the Cowboys. It's to be a monument to Jerry Jones. He built himself a nice one with taxpayer money I'd say.

Ah, it saves them having to formulate a substantive argument. :D

You know, I was raised by a Cowboys-hating family. But then I moved to Washington, DC, where I discovered that it is not enough merely to hate the Redskins. In order to truly express the depths of my loathing for the Skins, it became necessary for me to start cheering for the Cowboys. That said, these are the first stadium photos I've ever seen that make the Metrodome look attractive by comparison. Thing looks like what you'd get if you hired the architects behind your least favorite modern airport and the construction crew behind the new Wembley Stadium, and asked them to build you a new hockey arena in Moscow. I may have the chance to attend a game next year, and I'll be happy if my first impressions are completely wrong, but so far it looks like the Cowboys have taken pretty much everything I look for in a football stadium and done the opposite.

On the other hand, the endzones look great.

20082614447.png

* This was a far more modest setup than the Cowboys have, a 4-sided (IIRC) projection screen deal

Minor correction, my fellow Saints fan -- it was six-sided. One each for the sidelines, then one for each for corners.

new_orleans_saints.jpg

Yeah the old "gondola" that could be raised and lowered via cables, from the peak of the dome all the way down to the floor. Held not only the screens underneath, but also some speakers, moveable spotlights, and could hold connections for stage backdrops and the like. The six projection cameras were in the terrace (upper deck) placed in areas that resembled six entry portals, with garage-door type covers that could be closed when they weren't in use.

Of course, the entire gondola contraption is gone now.....

Thanks for the info. My first draft of that post said 5 sides 'cause I thought it was more than 4 but try as I might I couldn't remember and the pic looks like 4 so I went with that. Should have just said 'multi-sided' and left it at that. I was watching Saints-Texans on NFL Network today and their trivia question was what team did the Saints play in the first Superdome game in '75? I said to my wife, "The Oilers...I was there!" The Saints lost IIRC. B)

About "Screengate", what's totally ridiculous is that the refs missed the ball hitting the screen. Jeff Fisher threw the challenge flag. I know it was discussed already but that's just crazy.

I don't know how anyone can call themselves a football fan and not be offended by this. If JJ's goal was to build a monument to crass consumerist excess while reinforcing the idea of Texan boorishness then mission accomplished. But aside from having a playing surface, this building is an epic fail when it comes to anything having to do with hosting football games. The NFL should be ashamed that it allows one of its franchises to play in such a monstrosity... keyword: should.

I don't know how anyone can call themselves a football fan and not be offended by this. If JJ's goal was to build a monument to crass consumerist excess while reinforcing the idea of Texan boorishness then mission accomplished. But aside from having a playing surface, this building is an epic fail when it comes to anything having to do with hosting football games. The NFL should be ashamed that it allows one of its franchises to play in such a monstrosity... keyword: should.

Except that both you and I know (along with most everyone else in there) that they're not.

And why would they be? Nice, shiny brand new building the size of Delaware with possibly the world's biggest TV hanging from a ceiling...underneath a hole in the roof. (Still tryna understand that one.) NFL sees $$$$$...and frankly, that's about all they care about, it seems.

While I can appreciate the technological advancements this place offers, some of it is just TOO MUCH. Truthfully, I thought I'd seen it all when the Cardinals somehow got a rolling playing field built into their stadium. Boy was I wrong. But, I gues true to form as illwauk alluded to...everything really is bigger in Texas, isn't it?

And, while I SINCERELY hope nothing goes wrong with that ginormous television system, I can't help but think that's one big accident waiting to happen. Not exactly the best of images to be conjuring up, especially considering the Cowboys' practice facility just collapsed on them not too long ago.

(But really...I wonder about the Pandora's Box this megatropolis of a stadium is likely to open. Already we're hearing cries from Daniel Snyder about wanting a new stadium in D.C. proper--though I have not the foggiest idea where in the heck they'd put it--and I can only imagine the other starry-eyed owners out there who will now see this and, Lord forbid, want to "outdo" Jerry's playplace.)

One last question: is the new Cowboys Stadium privately or publicly financed? Just tryna see where this billion-something dollars is coming from.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'm pretty sure that the Cowboys put the screen 5 feet above what the NFL recommended. They recommended 85 feet, Dallas put it at 90.

I've seen this minimum quoted a couple of times now. Does anyone have this properly sourced? Or is it just what all the cool kids are saying (no offense intended)?

Bucco - I thought Jones put up most of the money, but that there was some public funding used. Don't quote me, though :D

It's where I sit.

Except that both you and I know (along with most everyone else in there) that they're not.

And why would they be? Nice, shiny brand new building the size of Delaware with possibly the world's biggest TV hanging from a ceiling...underneath a hole in the roof. (Still tryna understand that one.) NFL sees $$$$$...and frankly, that's about all they care about, it seems.

While I can appreciate the technological advancements this place offers, some of it is just TOO MUCH. Truthfully, I thought I'd seen it all when the Cardinals somehow got a rolling playing field built into their stadium. Boy was I wrong. But, I gues true to form as illwauk alluded to...everything really is bigger in Texas, isn't it?

And, while I SINCERELY hope nothing goes wrong with that ginormous television system, I can't help but think that's one big accident waiting to happen. Not exactly the best of images to be conjuring up, especially considering the Cowboys' practice facility just collapsed on them not too long ago.

(But really...I wonder about the Pandora's Box this megatropolis of a stadium is likely to open. Already we're hearing cries from Daniel Snyder about wanting a new stadium in D.C. proper--though I have not the foggiest idea where in the heck they'd put it--and I can only imagine the other starry-eyed owners out there who will now see this and, Lord forbid, want to "outdo" Jerry's playplace.)

One last question: is the new Cowboys Stadium privately or publicly financed? Just tryna see where this billion-something dollars is coming from.

The city of Arlington put up $325 milllion for the stadium (buying up homes, lots, and infrastructure) per the agreement. The Cowboys were responsible for the rest, including cost overruns. The city?s share of the costs is capped, and funds are being raised through a sales tax increase (0.5%), a two-percent hotel occupancy tax increase, a five-percent car rental tax, a ten- percent ticket tax and a $3 parking tax.

This tax is essentially the same in scope which the city imposed for Rangers Ballpark. While those bonds had a 30 year term, they were paid off in ten, and the tax was rescinded. The city's ability to pay off the bonds to Rangers Ballpark so quickly allowed the city to pursue the Cowboys.

another thing nobody's mentioned is that those screens are going to cast some crazy shadows during day games. The hole at the old stadium made for some annoying shadows to TV watching eyes, but now picture a similar sized hole (with the roof open) in addition to 4 video screens. You won't be able to see anything.

PvO6ZWJ.png

did we also mention that the super bowl will be held in Jerry's Boss Hogg bowl? :P

one question though,

if the hole in the stadium is put there so God can see his team play, why did they put a gigantic megatron in the middle to block God's vision? Surely God can not be happy about that. we all know what happens when God can't see his favorite team play, he'll punish us with more of the epic story of Brett Favre that never ends.

forgive me i'm a little high at the moment

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Ray Guy talks about hitting the Superdome screens in today's Times-Picayune:

===

When Guy watched the replay (of the Titans punter hitting Jerry's megatron), he was suddenly back in the Superdome, reliving memories, engulfed in laughter.

Guy is a former All-Pro punter whose 14-year career with the Raiders merited strong Hall of Fame consideration. He's remembered as the man who made "hang time" a conversation piece. "If Mr. Jones had called," said the Southern Miss great, drafted in the first round by the Raiders in 1973, "I could have told him some stories."

Like the time he became the first punter to hit the gondola approximately 90 feet above the field in the early years of the Dome. It was during the Pro Bowl after the 1976 season, before that postseason fixture found a home in Hawaii.

"No one had hit the gondola in a regular-season game," Guy said. "I hit it a few times warming up before the Pro Bowl, hoping I'd get a chance. It came in the third quarter. I was punting from around the 10-yard line, and I had Pro Bowl rules going for me -- that is, you didn't rush the punter unless he fumbled the snap. Well, I had a good angle and I got into it real good. From the moment it left my foot, I felt it would either hit the screen or go over it."

The rules called for a re-kick. Whereupon Guy promptly delivered a sky-climbing 60-yarder.

Five Januarys later Guy was back in the Dome, this time with the Raiders, getting ready to play the Eagles in Super Bowl XV.

"We came to the Dome for a walk-through on Friday," Guy said. "I looked up and there was that gondola, still where I remembered it. I told one of the Superdome people, 'I hope you're not going to leave that thing where it is for the game.' And I was told, 'Don't worry, it's out of play, no one's going to hit it.'¤"

At the time, Guy was holding four footballs.

"Watch this," he said.

One after another, he punted four footballs that bounced off the replay screen.

"When we returned for the game, they had hoisted that gondola up near the roof. It was definitely out of play."

===

Full Article

If JJ's goal was to build a monument to crass consumerist excess while reinforcing the idea of Texan boorishness then mission accomplished.

I wanna make a concept for a team called "the Texas Boorishness." The only question is which sport.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived