Los Angeles 66ers

oneorange

I couldn't figure out how to convert the Draw Brawl 2009 template to my version of Illustrator so I was unable to enter the competition, but this is my concept idea for LA - The Los Angeles 66ers. Deciding on a team name for an LA franchise is not an easy task, as the region really is more or less well known for more negative/derogatory things. I decided to go with the 66ers though because LA is the terminus, the destination, the end of the road for the most famous and historic highway in the US. Route 66 starts in Chicago, cuts its way through the Midwest, crosses the Rocky Mountains and then reaches its goal in Los Angeles. I think that it would be a great team name idea because it would not only represent LA well, but it would attract a lot of other fans nationally - people who live along the historic route 66.

66ers.png

I don't mean to sound like a dick here, but... you can use Illustrator but you can't cut and past over a jpeg? :blink:

I know. I do kind of feel like a retard but I am just a self taught illustrator guy and every time I tried to shrink my image down to fit in the designated template it would distort my text. I'm sure that if I really knew what I was doing I could have quickly fixed my problem but I couldn't figure it out by the time the deadline came and went.

I don't mean to sound like a dick here, but... you can use Illustrator but you can't cut and past over a jpeg? :blink:

I know. I do kind of feel like a retard but I am just a self taught illustrator guy and every time I tried to shrink my image down to fit in the designated template it would distort my text. I'm sure that if I really knew what I was doing I could have quickly fixed my problem but I couldn't figure it out by the time the deadline came and went.

Illustrator doesn't do that. The only thing I can think of is that it was distorting the stroke because you didn't have the Scale Stroke box checked.

I would caution you from using generic, trendy fonts like this one. This font is the copperplate bold of retro fonts (bahaus is it called?). Also you have some visibility issues, a white on white logo and the yellow sidepaneling on white/gray combo. The color combo is unique but I don't really see how it represents the city, or the name for that matter, usually when you have a name with a "Number + ers" the first thought is what year was the city founded, or what happened in that year, something like that. So, when people hear 66ers they might be a little confused, with the logos it makes more sense, but I just think it's a weak stand-alone name.

The jerseys really shrunk when I posted so I am just posting a bigger picture of the jerseys.

66ersjersey.png

I think I can see what you're doing with the colors ... but the colors don't go together as depicted.

(Would "66s" work better than "66ers"?)

My color palette came about like this: When I think of LA I think of yellow and orange, maybe because of all of the sunshiny days. I tried quite a few other colors to use as for a backing color but the charcoal seemed to work the best and it worked as a the road/highway color I was wanting to incorporate into this concept. I hadn't thought about having the name be 66s. I'll have to think about it.

Illustrator doesn't do that. The only thing I can think of is that it was distorting the stroke because you didn't have the Scale Stroke box checked.

I would caution you from using generic, trendy fonts like this one. This font is the copperplate bold of retro fonts (bahaus is it called?). Also you have some visibility issues, a white on white logo and the yellow sidepaneling on white/gray combo. The color combo is unique but I don't really see how it represents the city, or the name for that matter, usually when you have a name with a "Number + ers" the first thought is what year was the city founded, or what happened in that year, something like that. So, when people hear 66ers they might be a little confused, with the logos it makes more sense, but I just think it's a weak stand-alone name.

Being in Atlanta, I can see why you'd think that. But in the western US, "the mother road" automatically comes to mind whenever the number 66 is mentioned. Only thing is, it's more freely-associated with places like Arizona, New Mexico, (West) Texas, Oklahoma and Missouri than Chicago and LA (where it starts and ends).

I don't have a problem with bahaus on the logo as it fits in with the style of signage that was found along Route 66 in its heyday, but its too gaudy to use on the actual unis. There's also not enough contrast between the colors. I would suggest black, graphite, yellow and white which goes along with the whole "road" theme. Your general concept is very usable, but it needs a few tweaks.

Archived