Business Card Design

Mings

Hey guys,

So I got around to doing a business card design to go with my new Portfolio, Resume, soon to be website, etc... and wanted to get your opinions on the options. To me the best business cards are simple, yet still very bold. These are all pretty straight forward, as they take design elements from my Portfolio and Resume. It is a toss up for me except for the one at the very right. It seems a little busy to me, but still very bold.

business_card_options.png

Font sizes are 10 for the name, and 7 for the rest.

So what do you think guys? Thanks in advance for the C&C.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the overall feel of the design.

My preference is without a doubt the last one on the right, as long as the icons represents specific areas of expertise, and that they tie in in all aspects of your communication plan. From what I know of architects from working with them regularly, there's no such thing as too bold - within the boundaries of good taste...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

The icons are from my portfolio of various projects I have done. One was a boutique hotel, one live/work housing, one a library and the last was a soup kitchen.

And completely agree...no such thing as too bold. I think on the last one I need to have a little bit of a border on the left of the text so it doesn't look cut off.

Thanks again Frenchie.

I'm leaning towards the second one. I like the idea of the icons, but I'm not keen on the use of the other colors. The icons could use labels or something...it's tough to tell at first glance what they really are or are referring to. I think the first two are a bit more cohesive. The black type for the title/contacts seems to read better than the orange at a smaller point size as well.

I wasn't so sure about using the other colors either, I'll try something with the icons all orange and with labels of the various architecture disciplines they represent.

I really like the first two as well, but they may be too subtle and not attention grabbing enough.

Look for some updates soon...the girl and the kids aren't here....so distration free house!

EDIT: Here are some modifications. The first two stayed the same, but I reworked the last one a bit. The third one after looking at it again doesn't really work in my opinion, so I dropped it for now.

business_card_2.png

Just wanted to add something here.

Are you totally set on "Joshua Mings Architecture"? Have you considered just "Mings Architecture"? The only reason I ask is because for some reason, it comes off as a little amateurish when read or spoken. The name "Joshua", to me, implies youth and inexperience. I suppose this is why when the Joshuas of the world become adults, they become Josh in most cases. Not to say you should start going by Josh, because that is a bit silly of a suggestion, but maybe think of dropping that from the company title?

I go by both, never had a preference...nor have I ever thought of it that way. I wouldn't have any issue with dropping the ua or going with Mings Architecture...which kind of sounds really good....

Any other opinions on that? I'll incorporate it into the next update.

I like the Mings Architecture idea too. As far as your reworked concepts, I do like the far-right layout the best now that they have been changed all to orange. I'd suggest removing the Company Name box from the white side, so that one side has your contact info and the icons, the other with the Company and address.

Actually, you could even move "New Orleans, LA" to your contact info side, and just have the company name on the reverse. There's no need to have your phone number and email repeated on both sides.

Just my .02.

Update....

Tried a couple of options between Josh Mings Architecture and Mings Architecture. I put the architectural disciplines on the back of the card in the place of my contact info. As far as moving the company name box off of the front, I don't know because a lot of people put business cards either in Rolodexes or in a little book, and doing that would decrease exposure of the company name.

Anyway...here they are!

business_card_option3.png

I like the top right one in the original post with the multiple colors. I think it'd be cool to see where you have your name the orange band extend off the card on the left and then when you flip the card over it's orange with a white band on the right with your name inside it to give the card a flow from one side to the other. You then move the type on the orange side to the left.

Unless I've missed something, I think the front of your card is too blank. Typically, I'm used to seeing a person's name in larger font so that it's obivous whose card this is (what their job title is is usually right there, as well). I don't get that from yours. You might also consider how these would work when there's more than just you in the company (you may already be at that point -- I don't get teh impression from these samples).

I'll second dropping your first name from the company name. I think Mings Architecture sounds better.

Have you thought about using a vase for a logo?

It's where I sit.

Unless I've missed something, I think the front of your card is too blank. Typically, I'm used to seeing a person's name in larger font so that it's obivous whose card this is (what their job title is is usually right there, as well). I don't get that from yours. You might also consider how these would work when there's more than just you in the company (you may already be at that point -- I don't get teh impression from these samples).

I'll second dropping your first name from the company name. I think Mings Architecture sounds better.

Have you thought about using a vase for a logo?

Actually, it goes along with his designs probably and so blank is better. It is one of the better designs of a business card that I have seen. As far as the name goes being large. #1) If he hands them the business card, then they don't need to see a large name because they know who it's from. If someone else hands a person his business card, they are saying, give this guy a call or email him, thus no need for the name being large. #2) Just because people use the large name on their business card, just means they are going with the flow, and as a designer, I think it's better for another designer to give us something fresh which he has done. Just my two cents.

Sec19Row53:: It is just me at this point. I have a good 5 years or so before I become licensed and start adding employees. I haven't thought about the vase. That may be a play on my name, but the complete wrong play on my name. People always think I am Chinese because of the name, but believe it or not my last name is English. Its a variation of the Means/Minges/Minnes names. I'm English on both sides of my family with just a bit of Sioux Indian thrown in there for good measure.

Oddball:: Thanks for your C&C throughout the thread. I really appreciate it. I'm kicking myself in the pants right now for not thinking about flipping the back so they are at the same place on the printed card.

Pat and Jim:: Just me, and Principal sounds better, so thats going on there.

Thanks guys, I may be able to get an update tonight but with school starting and no longer having the house to myself I may not be able to.

My only comment is something that I repeatedly am seeing more and more every day..."professional" e-mail addresses with @gmail.com or @hotmail.com or something that is free. If you are trying to project an image of stability and professionalism, I would seriously consider boning up the $20 and getting yourself an e-mail address along the lines of joshua@mingsarchitecture.com.

Right off the bat, you convey to your prospect, "I am serious about my work."

Best of luck.

Cards.png

He could always say "Principal" or something along those lines. I've seen it many times for cards and letterheads for individual firms.

I like that much better. I just don't think you're doing yourself any favors trying to make a your personal business sound bigger by calling yourself CEO, President, or anything of those sorts.

Along the same lines, instead of 'Josh Mings Architecture,' which admittedly makes it sound like you are a larger firm with employees (and has a strange faux-possessive sound to it because of the 's' at the end of your name), why not go with something more personal and appropriate given the nature, like 'Josh Mings, Architect' and leave it at that. No guessing, no wondering. They know your name, they know you're an architect and they know how to contact you. You don't have to worry about calling yourself 'President' or 'Principal' or anything like that because it's straightforward and understood that you are 'the man' in this operation, regardless of whether it's just you or if you have 50 people working underneath you. It's more versatile, in my opinion.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Quick update because I'm in class...technically I'm not allowed to call myself an architect until I graduate and pass the registration exam.

EDIT: More Updates on C&C...

Blackjack: A website is in the works when I get the time (most likely Christmas Break, so at that point I will have the joshua@mingsarchitecture.com address). Definitely agree with you though.

Andrew: I definitely like the idea behind the name, but with the legalities behind it I would get in trouble due to not being licensed. The way I'm going to work is small projects and if they need stamped I know of a couple of people that would review them and stamp the drawings for me, as well as enter some competitions and things of that nature to get my name out there.

Archived