Los Angeles Owls

AHcreative

Hey guys! Seeing as how the first competition of the Draw Brawl is over, and I saw that fkaKrock5cent has posted his concept for some comments, I figured I would post mine as well.

Originally I was going to name my team the L.A. Vipers, but as I was playing around with PAINT.net, the lines started to resemble an owl. After a few hours of tweaking it I got it too look pretty good, I wasn't completely satisfied with the end result (I ran out of time), but I still think it's one of the best logos I've ever come up with but I know that it can be better. Whether it be the eye, beak, perspective, etc. (the areas that I know need editing), I would really apreciate anyone's input on this. I'm thinking that I did pretty well with this, I seemed to be getting a lot of 2nd and 3rd place votes in my tier, but pessimism is kind of leading me into thinking that maybe the other designs were poor (that's not meant to offend anyone and I sincerely appologize if I have); it's just that I was very pleased with my concept, but the last time I was pleased with a concept I discovered that it needed a lot of work.

So, if you could please leave any comments and critiques I would greatly appreciate it. Here's the concept:

LosAngelesOwlsSet.png

Oh, and I saw that elliott commented on this in the voting thread and, elliott if you're reading this, you said that the logo needed some work. I would especially appreciate your input considering I really have loved all of your designs and since I know we're around the same age (I'm five days older ^_^) I respect (and look up to) you as a designer because I think that your concepts are all very cool. So yeah, any comments would be great.

Thanks!

Hey guys! Seeing as how the first competition of the Draw Brawl is over, and I saw that fkaKrock5cent has posted his concept for some comments, I figured I would post mine as well.

Originally I was going to name my team the L.A. Vipers, but as I was playing around with PAINT.net, the lines started to resemble an owl. After a few hours of tweaking it I got it too look pretty good, I wasn't completely satisfied with the end result (I ran out of time), but I still think it's one of the best logos I've ever come up with but I know that it can be better. Whether it be the eye, beak, perspective, etc. (the areas that I know need editing), I would really apreciate anyone's input on this. I'm thinking that I did pretty well with this, I seemed to be getting a lot of 2nd and 3rd place votes in my tier, but pessimism is kind of leading me into thinking that maybe the other designs were poor (that's not meant to offend anyone and I sincerely appologize if I have); it's just that I was very pleased with my concept, but the last time I was pleased with a concept I discovered that it needed a lot of work.

So, if you could please leave any comments and critiques I would greatly appreciate it. Here's the concept:

LosAngelesOwlsSet.png

Oh, and I saw that elliott commented on this in the voting thread and, elliott if you're reading this, you said that the logo needed some work. I would especially appreciate your input considering I really have loved all of your designs and since I know we're around the same age (I'm five days older ^_^) I respect (and look up to) you as a designer because I think that your concepts are all very cool. So yeah, any comments would be great.

Thanks!

(1) The colors make it look too much like the Vikings. If you are stuck on the colors, then go with gold pants with the purple jersey, and maybe purple pants with the white jersey.

(2) And I'd think about a gold helmet instead of a purple one.

(3) A fiercer owl would look better too.

Packers-2.png

I would just drop the muted purple and go with a shade of reddish brown and maybe add silver as an accent color. I think the owl should have a closed mouth. You don't see many photos of an owl with an open mouth. Also the secondary kinda looks more like a rugby ball than a football.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

I recent saw some owls up close. One was panting in our summer heat but the other had that look that owls almost always seem to have. Like he was ready to rip my face off if I made the wrong move.

Just look at the shape of the face. Note how there seem to be many lines are drawing you in to the eyes. And that thick outline around those saucers.

GreatHornedOwl.jpg

Yes, I understand I need to make the owl look fiercer. I would just like some suggestions on how.

Also, what colors do you have in mind if I were to change them?

Option A is in the owl photo.

As for option B ... at the risk of looking like the 49ers, maybe a California wine color combination: burgundy and champagne or "white wine" (i.e. light goldish brown, like the old USFL Michigan Panthers.)

Packers-2.png

Yes, I understand I need to make the owl look fiercer. I would just like some suggestions on how.

Also, what colors do you have in mind if I were to change them?

Option A is in the owl photo.

As for option B ... at the risk of looking like the 49ers, maybe a California wine color combination: burgundy and champagne or "white wine" (i.e. light goldish brown, like the old USFL Michigan Panthers.)

Okay, if I can find some time this week I'll work on it.

The initial colors of this logo were a burgundy color and the same gold, but I thought the color was too red so I added some purple to it and thought that purple looked better anyway. There are no teams with purple and that shade of gold in the league, and I liked the proposed St. Louis Stallions colors, so I kinda based my color scheeme off of that.

But I'll work around with some color combos and post them as soon as I can find time.

Thanks guys. Any more suggestions would be great.

Thanks for the shoutout heitert, I think the problem with the owl logo is perspective. The white markings directly under the beak look like the shoulder of the owl to me (I'm not sure if it is supposed to be chest markings). The shoulder appears to overlap the face, in any case. If you want the 3/4-ish profile view that you are currently using, you need to make it obvious the the body section is the chest, like you are looking straight at it, and don't have it overlap the face (the picture should help). If you want to keep the shoulder type perspective, then change the face to a profile view, you would have to alter the ear tufts, change beak placement, and make the eye look to the right. Hopefully that helps.

I recent saw some owls up close. One was panting in our summer heat but the other had that look that owls almost always seem to have. Like he was ready to rip my face off if I made the wrong move.

Just look at the shape of the face. Note how there seem to be many lines are drawing you in to the eyes. And that thick outline around those saucers.

GreatHornedOwl.jpg

What timing for this topic to come up. I'm currrently working on a G.H. Owl logo, and this bird is a thing of beauty. I never realized it before, but at some angles the GH Owl's head reminds me of a cat. I think it's the eyes and the overall shape.

Archived