Lou Holtz: Notre Dame to BCS Title Game

GFB

Personally, this talk of Notre Dame even cracking the BCS is just that: B.S.

Why? Well, the schedule isn't as weak as it seems and here's why...

Nevada: Many consider the Wolfpack to be the big challenger to Boise State's reign of power in the WAC

Michigan: Second year under Rich Rodriguez and the Spread Option. Not to mention the game is at Ann Arbor

Michigan State: The Irish have issues with Sparty going 3-9 against MSU with back-to-back losses

Washington: A much improved team, like Michigan. Plus, payback is on the Huskies' mind

Boston College: ND has lost six in a row to BC

Navy: Remember the last time the Middies came to South Bend? I sure do.

Stanford: A far better team then last season.

If anything, I see 7 or 8 wins for ND, but a BCS berth is too much to ask. Plus, if ND gets in and screws over a TCU, Utah, or BYU, you know the Mountain West will be squawking big time over the offseason.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nevada: Many consider the Wolfpack to be the big challenger to Boise State's reign of power in the WAC

Michigan: Second year under Rich Rodriguez and the Spread Option. Not to mention the game is at Ann Arbor

Michigan State: The Irish have issues with Sparty going 3-9 against MSU with back-to-back losses

Washington: A much improved team, like Michigan. Plus, payback is on the Huskies' mind

If anything, I see 7 or 8 wins for ND, but a BCS berth is too much to ask. Plus, if ND gets in and screws over a TCU, Utah, or BYU, you know the Mountain West will be squawking big time over the offseason.

So you'd agree with a Notre Dame team, if they went 12-0, being in the Gator Bowl where they belong?

LvZYtbZ.png

Plus, MSU has some voodoo curse on the Irish in South Bend... The last time the Irish beat the Spartans in South Bend was 1994, I believe.

So you'd agree with a Notre Dame team, if they went 12-0, being in the Gator Bowl where they belong?

Uh, no.

If Notre Dame somehow went 12-0, they'd be just as deserving of a BCS bid as any other team within the system.

But (and I do stress this point), the Irish's SoS is somewhat weak at only 36th (BTW, I'm using what was said in Phil Steele's magazine, so take it for what it's worth). Compare that to some of the other teams on that list, the Irish might not get the bounces needed to be in the BCS Title Game. I know SoS isn't a factor in the selection process anymore, but I have to think that a team with a marquee victory (Like Alabama defeating Clemson last season) would look better in the eyes of the media and the fans then a win for an average Notre Dame team against a hapless team.

Uh, no.

If Notre Dame somehow went 12-0, they'd be just as deserving of a BCS bid as any other team within the system.

But (and I do stress this point), the Irish's SoS is somewhat weak at only 36th (BTW, I'm using what was said in Phil Steele's magazine, so take it for what it's worth). Compare that to some of the other teams on that list, the Irish might not get the bounces needed to be in the BCS Title Game. I know SoS isn't a factor in the selection process anymore, but I have to think that a team with a marquee victory (Like Alabama defeating Clemson last season) would look better in the eyes of the media and the fans then a win for an average Notre Dame team against a hapless team.

If Boise State can go 12-0 and play in a non-BCS bowl, surely Notre Dame can do the same.

LvZYtbZ.png

There are homers ALL over the NETWORK. Red Sox Nation was coined there. Yankees Universe was as well. They are imperfectly perfect, sports fans, not just news readers.

And as for ND going to the BCS Title game, eliminate the hypocrasy.

16 Team Tournament

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Uh, no.

If Boise State can go 12-0 and play in a non-BCS bowl, surely Notre Dame can do the same.

Isn't that a bit unfair to put Boise State in the same sentence as Notre Dame in terms of being placed in a Non-BCS bowl?

Look, if Boise State can go 12-0 (And they could this year), they deserve as much of a chance to be in the BCS as anyone else. Would they get in the Title Game? Probably not, but it sure as hell makes for a great arguement.

Same for Notre Dame. If they go 12-0, then they deserve a chance to be in a BCS game.

Look, it's apparent that you hate Notre Dame being an independent will. But, until Notre Dame feels the need to be in a conference, they will remain that lone wolf program that carries a national name.

Shouldn't this be in the '2009 ncaa football thread' ?

We let the mods decide that stuff rook. Thanks for asking though. Now perhaps you could find something important to add to the thread. Or maybe you could add some more pictures to that signature. It's not quite as big as it ought to be. :D

BB52Big.jpg

First of all, yes, he's a homer, but heck aren't we all at some point in time? We could probably go through the schedules of our favorite teams and give them anywhere from 25%-50% more wins, unless it's the top of the barrel teams. You look at your team with an eye of optimism and yeah, you're wanting the best. I don't have a problem with him saying that they could be in the title game. Why? Not? They have as much chance to get there if they win all their games as does most other teams in the automatic qualifying conferences do. You also have to understand that what he's doing is what he's paid to do, put out an argument that gets people talking. He says things to move you, if he didn't he would've been a horrible coach and would be a horrible analyst. What he said was perfect. Do I agree with it? No. Looking at their schedule, I have them at 5 wins (Nevada, Michigan, Washington, Washington State, and Navy) I don't see them beating Michigan State, USC, or BC. That gives you 4 games that can go either way (UConn, Stanford, Pitt, Purdue), if they win those and upset two of the three that I have them losing to, then it's very possible and very likely they could get into the BCS title game. Do I see that happening, no, but it's possible. I feel safe sticking with 5 wins from Notre Dame.

Shouldn't this be in the '2009 ncaa football thread' ?

We let the mods decide that stuff rook. Thanks for asking though. Now perhaps you could find something important to add to the thread. Or maybe you could add some more pictures to that signature. It's not quite as big as it ought to be. :D

I already did, on the 1st page.

glossysig5.png

i honestly think ESPN tells Lou to play up his Golden Domer Homerism, and tells Mark May to play to his Notre Dame Hatred.

When listening to both of those men, some of the things that come out of their mouths is unbelievable at times...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

First of all, Mark May does not hate Notre Dame at all, you can tell by the way he laughs at Lou. I'm just amazed at how people are so biting on what Lou says. It's pure entertainment and Lou knows what he's doing, he's playing the "bad" guy in wrestling and getting cheap heat by saying something that will tick you off. And you are biting on it just as he and ESPN want. When will you people learn?

Remember if ND goes 10-2, they earn an automatic bid to a BCS game correct?

Only if they finish in the top 8 in the final BCS Standings. If they are in the top 12, then they are considered for a BCS game spot.

Only if they finish in the top 8 in the final BCS Standings. If they are in the top 12, then they are considered for a BCS game spot.
Top 14 actually, but I'm not sure 12-0 gets them in the top 8, given their schedule.

LvZYtbZ.png

Top 14 actually, but I'm not sure 12-0 gets them in the top 8, given their schedule.

If ND is in the top 12 or 14 or whatever the case may be, they are getting a spot.

The Irish are a NCAA cash cow and television ratings giant. The NCAA won't leave them on the outside looking in.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

If ND is in the top 12 or 14 or whatever the case may be, they are getting a spot.

The Irish are a NCAA cash cow and television ratings giant. The NCAA won't leave them on the outside looking in.

The NCAA doesn't have a say in the matter.

LvZYtbZ.png

Archived