LA Mako(s)

Firefly

The first round of Draw Brawl proved to be one heck of a melee. I took a few gambles with my entry and crapped out. So, let's see if we can't refine this into something a lot cooler. C+C this music factory*

NFL_LA_Mako.png

*-damn, I'm old.

I really like the colours, except for the bright red. It works in the logo, but it just doesn't fit in on the actual uniforms. If you just used the dark red, powder blue and white on the jerseys, I think it'd be much better.

p.s. I love the 'LA fin' logo.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Here was my review of the setup:

- The shark logo is ALMOST wonderful. The mouth area bothered me a bit, but mainly the blood bubbles (I'm assuming) threw me off. They look Ed Hardy-ish or Web 2.0 for some reason. I almost felt like you couldn't figure out a good way to focus on the front section of the shark- so you threw that area in to save face. That probably isn't the case, but it was my first impression.

- The secondary logo is beautiful and my favorite of the whole set. It is simple and the LA works nice in there.

- The color scheme was also a bit drab to me. I think the two shades of red clashed together and after that, you are only left with a very pale blue. That gives 3 colors and white, which in most cases- is one shade too many.

- The color scheme was also a factor in why the uniforms didn't turn out as I would have hoped. They just appear so washed out with the white and pale blue. I feel like the away & alternate uniforms would pose some problems in real life when viewing the numbers and details. The deeper red shade may have been a better choice for primary color while allowing the light blue to accent.

I totally disagree about the blood bubbles, they are my favourite aspect of this concept. I think it's the fact that a] you don't see that kind of thing in many sports logos, and b] it captures the effect you're going for brilliantly while being extremely simple. I love that it works from a distance, but the closer you get the more detail there is. It really is one of those "wish I'd thought of that" moments.

That said, the uniforms I think really let this down. For the most part it's the colour, I think you were too focused on the logo, which looks great in those colours. However, when it comes to translating them to the uniforms, it just doesn't work. A good example of this is the brighter red, which just doesn't work on the uniforms and looks like you tried too hard to fit it in. If you experimented with other colour schemes, perhaps sacrificing a little of the primary logo, I think the uniforms would be much more effective. Either this or keep the logo as is but don't use all the colours on the uniform. I was also disappointed that you created two amazing logos, but didn't use either of them on the helmet! I assume it's supposed to be gills on there, but I think that while it's clever, it's a step too far with the shark theme.

Overall, great work on the logos, but I think the colours and uniforms are what stopped this placing higher in the contest.

This was the best one IMO. I agree that the lighter red should come out of the uniforms, and a darker blue would also work good. The one thing I didn't like was the helmet. I understand the creative aspect, but I feel like the shark head would look better on the helmet than the gills.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

Wow, I didn't even see the LA in the fin. That is an amazing logo! I agree with most of the posts above: change the colors and put the fin logo on the helmet and we have one of the best concepts I've seen in a while.

yeah try switching the pink to a dark green

Archived