Mahoning Manatees

chickenfish13

OK, so I just wanted to get some feedback for this. It's for another user's fantasy hockey team, the Mahoning Manatees. Not to much to say about it, except for the fact that some of the shading/accents look the way they do, not to be from light or anything, but to show body texture, like wrinkles, which Manatees have many of. The facial expression is supposed to be blank, as it represents a Manatee more than a ticked off face would. Manatees are most likely not gonna harm anything, so why give them a mean expression? Also, I'm aware he's quite chubby, but, once again, so are manatees. So, c and c please.

mahoningmanatees.png

looking good. i'd pretty much agree with the above, and also add id ditch the silver "highlights" for a darker or lighter shade of that red. if silver is part of the scheme, just use it to outline that big beast.

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

OK, here's an quick update. Honestly, I think it pops better with the silver, but we'll see. I had difficulty with the stomach, so I gave it an extra highlight for a bit more definition, and I rounded the fins. C and C.

mahoningmanateesupdate1.png

are you set in stone using that red as the body color? maybe you could experiment with colors that are more contrasting that navy and maroon?

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

I'm thinking more of a shadow than definition for the belly. Like light is shining on the manatee from above, and there is a shadow cast over the belly because no light can reach there. And then use the highlights as if the light were coming from above. Right now you have highlights on the back of the manatee as well as the under-side of the tail, which would be impossible if there were really light.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

I'm thinking more of a shadow than definition for the belly. Like light is shining on the manatee from above, and there is a shadow cast over the belly because no light can reach there. And then use the highlights as if the light were coming from above. Right now you have highlights on the back of the manatee as well as the under-side of the tail, which would be impossible if there were really light.

Thanks, shadowing and highlights is the major thing I have to work on. I will try and update that with a shadow.

OK, here's 2 more color options.

mahngingmanateescoloropt2.png

Alright CF13, here's what you need to do.

- First, your shading on the tail is all off. It's the other side that needs to be highlighted... (The upper body provides the shadow)

- Second, increase the emphasis on the lower jaw. I would bring it all the way to the outer outline. It'll help hide the "blobbyness" of the manatee's current shape

- Third, decide on one shadowing color. Are the shadows going to be red? Or are they going to be purple?

- Fourth, and most importantly, use some consistency with the outlines. Your body haas a very small thin outline, while your fins have much much bigger outlines.

And purple and red can work just fine... Toronto Raptors anyone?

Thanks GFB. For #4, the fins and body have the same stroke weight, I'm not sure if you mean something else, or see something else, but the main white part, with the purple outline, have the same weights. It might look different.

I was referring to the tips of the fins...

OK, update based on GFB's advice. C and C.

mahoningmanatees3up.png

Ok, shading looks much better... Still a few things though

1) I think you misunderstood what I was referencing when I said the lower jaw. You extended what I would call his nose/cheek down. I was referring to the little 3 point star thing under that... copy the curve of the manatee's cheeks and follow it to the edge.

2) Merge the top of the left fin with the body, right now it looks like he had fins stitched on or something.

Archived