No more American Defenders of New Hampshire

GeorgesL

Dan Duquette is a fool.

Really this was not a shocker to anyone. Most of us saw this coming like a slow moving trainwreck. They unloaded their best players to save money, they threw out whatever tradition and fun the team had already established, they changed the team's name to something corporate under the insulting guise of something patriotic, their logo is abysmal, their gimmick uniforms left something to be desired, their PR department was incompetent (deliberate or otherwise), and their operating methods suggest nothing less than stupidity. The fact that they further burned bridges by failing to pay the city of Nashua on some very basic services says that either a) they wanted to leave town and wanted to make themselves very unpopular in order to do so or B) Duquette really is just a piece of :censored: and shouldn't be in charge of breathing on his own much less anything else. I haven't liked him since the days of running the Red Sox into the dumper and now he's taken and struggling but plucky independent minor league team and destroyed it. Way to go.

I have to say the previous owners didn't always get it right, but at least they tried hard. They were actually able to carve a small niche for themselves despite relentless competition from no less than 3 MLB-affiliated minor league clubs within a half hour of them, and even more teams further out. I've gone to many Pride games , and thought that it was a quaint and fun experience. I had fun and I believe everyone else who went did too. I wish more people recognized as much, I really think more butts in the seats would have helped things, but nonetheless given the previous 10 years, it really wouldn't have taken too much to make it more successful by building and expanding on what it already had- rather than scorning it.

I feel like the current people in charge really didn't care about the team or the city that hosted and supported it. I believe they always wanted to go towards greener pastures and decided to use this season as a reason to prove to the league that they should be allowed to do so. So for this past year, the local fans have been given a season long slap to the face. The team for which they've known was stripped of it's identity, their motley but popular players they've known sent away, and the the overall product handled with little care of quality of play or even the stadium's atmosphere of fun it once had. I think it would have been better to have had the team ripped from the city and relocated this year rather than watch this slow bleed-out.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

This is a true victory for America. Good riddance.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Another former Atlantic League team bites the dust.

It may, however, be good for the city of Trois-Rivieres, Quebec, who may be the recipient of the new club.

Agreed. When the Capitales played in Trois-Rivieres this past weekend, it drew a little over 3,000 fans. (3,017 to be exact) Even though Stade Fernand-Bédard, or often called Municipal Stadium, is an old stadium, it can and will be refurbished to accomodate the new, incoming team. Plus the Caps draw more fans per game than any team in the Can-Am League has in a typical 3-game series. The arrival of Eric Gagne has helped a bit.

Trois-Rivieres Municipal Stadium

I would be ecstatic to see Trois-Rivieres (Saints, I believe, is the perfect nickname for them) and the Quebec Capitales in the same league. There's only one problem...I won't know who to cheer for when they play against each other.

It may, however, be good for the city of Trois-Rivieres, Quebec, who may be the recipient of the new club.

The American Defenders of Quebec?

:P

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The American Defenders of Quebec?

:P

The Canadian Defenders of Quebec. But all kidding aside, the Trois-Rivieres Saints is a more appropriate name, 1) it was the name of the CBL franchise, and 2) it is one of the nicknames most recognizable in both French & English.

• 4 weeks later...

What gets me most is this comment:

As for compensating ticket holders to these games, Duquette said that's "under consideration right now."

So, if someone had tickets to the game or any of the remaining games, they may not be reimbursed for the tickets they bought to games that won't happen? The only way to make it worse would be to say "they can use the tickets they already purchased for entry into the game wherever we happen to play it."

Yes, with New Hampshire now defenseless, the time is right for Quebec to invade. The Great Concavity will not go unavenged.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived