1960 AFL Photos Thread

MarkAtnip

Hello all.

I was raised in Denver and was privileged to have watched some AFL football years (and years) ago. With the NFL doing quite a bit to promote the 50th Anniversary of the AFL I thought it would be appropriate to start a thread to collect as many photos, programs, etc from the 1960 AFL season as possible.

Color photos are especially prized of course, as there really weren't many taken in 1960. The papers didn't run color of course, so color shots would have generally been taken by fans with one of those fancy new-fangled color cameras. I am going to post pretty much everything I have from the 1960 season. Please feel free to do the same.

(I will break it up over several posts so as not to create gigantic posts. )

I will begin with all of the BRONCOS COLOR game action photos I have ever seen from the 1960 season. If anyone has more PLEASE post them.

Let the fun begin.

Taylor

Taylor11-6-60.jpg

Tripucka

Tripucka11-6-60.jpg

General Game Action

11-6-60action.jpg

BroncosSig.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These photos are from the 9-9-60 game between the Broncos and the Patriots. The distinction being that this was the first official AFL football game.

Well circulated photo of Mingo weaving through traffic

Mingo9-9-60.jpg

Gavin in pursuit

Gavinpursues9-9-60.jpg

Filchock leaves bench after final gun, victorious in the first AFL game.

Filchockcarouthers9-9-60.jpg

BroncosSig.jpg

BILLY CANNON!

cannon.jpg

What is the correct striping color on the pants? It can't be blue-black-blue. The white pants in the color photos appear to have red-blue-red.

It's blue-red-blue in that pic

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

BILLY CANNON!

cannon.jpg

What is the correct striping color on the pants? It can't be blue-black-blue. The white pants in the color photos appear to have red-blue-red.

It seems like a lot of those old Topps cards were hand-tinted black & white photos; look at the crowd behind Cannon - some of them are in black & white - so I suspect this card is one of the hand colored ones.

The correct pant stripes are blue/red/blue as shown in the color game photos.

BILLY CANNON!

cannon.jpg

It's blue-red-blue in that pic

Which is a poorly re-colored photo, IMO.

It's where I sit.

yeah. it's definately poorly recolored... surprisingly though, it's one of the few photos i've been able to find of in-game action of the 1960 oilers jerseys.

and the pants are blue/red/blue... just like the hall of fame game.

While I don't have any pics to offer at present (sorry!) I can offer this tidbit...

Contrary to popular belief, not all AFL teams had NOB's in 1960. I think eventually, all may have had NOB's by the end of 1960, but for sure, the Broncos, Patriots, Titans, Raiders, Texans and the Bills did NOT have them to start the season. (you'll actually note that in the batch of pix ealier (see #56 of the Bills)). In fact, during the season and in all of 1961, the Raiders actually had First and Last NOB's.

Great thread idea, BTW.

MarkAtnip,

Since you seem to have some good knowledge of the early AFL and being from the Denver area, possibly you can give a good answer to a raging ongoing debate over at the uniwatchblog (currently the site is on hiatus until 9/1).

In 1962, the Broncos overhauled their unis and colors. Early in the season, the Broncos sported an orange helmet with a dark colored bucking horse logo. Roughly by the Broncs 5th game, the horse was changed to white and stayed that way thru 1966.

The question is...was the horse logo brown or was the horse blue??? Urban legend has the horse brown, but some dispute that claim saying why keep any vestige of the brown and gold era? It's blue!

Your take on this would be appreciated!

MarkAtnip,

In 1962, the Broncos overhauled their unis and colors. Early in the season, the Broncos sported an orange helmet with a dark colored bucking horse logo. Roughly by the Broncs 5th game, the horse was changed to white and stayed that way thru 1966.

The question is...was the horse logo brown or was the horse blue??? Urban legend has the horse brown, but some dispute that claim saying why keep any vestige of the brown and gold era? It's blue!

Your take on this would be appreciated!

I have never a credible source that said the horse was blue, and I didn't arrive until the orange helmet era.

Here is what I HAVE heard, but I have never attempted to confirm it. Can anyone help me out with this one? I heard that the brown horse was produced for an expected helmet change for the 1962 season where the team would change the helmet color to yellow so that it matched the uniforms. (Thus producing a yellow helmet, brown horse, yellow jersey, brown numbers, brown pants with yellow stripes. (see below) Only to have the team decide to go with orange at a late date.

62Broncosprototype-1.jpg

There .. i didn't clear up your rumor, I just made it worse : )

BroncosSig.jpg

I have some great photo's from the Boston Globe Sports Dept. My fathers Aunt worked there and she got to keep all the pictures that were not used for the Paper. I actually have a couple from that 1st AFL game between the Denver Broncos and the Boston Patriots. Some great photos of Joe Namath playing at Fenway Park against the Patriots. But one thing I was wondering about was are the Pats going to wear the original helmet this year for the AFL 50th Annv. because Pat Patriot was'nt on the original helmet as you can see from the photos posted in this thread. If it is a true tribute to the 1960 team it should be the Patriot hat logo on the helmet.

I have some great photo's from the Boston Globe Sports Dept. My fathers Aunt worked there and she got to keep all the pictures that were not used for the Paper. I actually have a couple from that 1st AFL game between the Denver Broncos and the Boston Patriots. Some great photos of Joe Namath playing at Fenway Park against the Patriots. But one thing I was wondering about was are the Pats going to wear the original helmet this year for the AFL 50th Annv. because Pat Patriot was'nt on the original helmet as you can see from the photos posted in this thread. If it is a true tribute to the 1960 team it should be the Patriot hat logo on the helmet.

This would be a great thread for the unveiling of your 60 Broncs/Pats photos! (hint hint) As for the 1960 Patriots helmets, I was led to believe that they were going to wear the Patriot Pat helmets. Not sure why. I also agree that things should be as "1960" as possible. I think the Pats dropped the ball on this one. There are already a ton of people with Patriot Pat merchandise out there, so not only would the "Pat Hat" be the correct thing to do for the 50th anniversary of the team, but it would have been a boost in $$$ as well, which I can't imagine an NFL team passing up.

BroncosSig.jpg

A couple of additional 60 photos I managed to dig up today.

Bud McFaddin causing a fumble. (This is from the December 10th game against the Chargers)

NOTE THAT THERE ARE NO NUMBERS ON THE BRONCOS HELMET (and that none are visible on the others) Did they remove them at some point during the season?

McFaddin-Brown12-10-60.jpg

The Broncos played five pre-season games in 1960 and based on the crowd, sidelines, etc I think these are from one of those pre-season games against the Raiders.

60broncos1.jpg

60broncos2.jpg

BroncosSig.jpg

Taylor

Taylor11-6-60.jpg

Tripucka

Tripucka11-6-60.jpg

General Game Action

11-6-60action.jpg

Thanks for starting this thread -- there's been some great stuff posted already, and I look forward to seeing more. One nitpick, though. Judging from the Oilers' uniforms, I'm pretty sure these pics are from 1961 rather than 1960. Still love seeing them, though!

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Taylor

Taylor11-6-60.jpg

Tripucka

-

General Game Action

-

Thanks for starting this thread -- there's been some great stuff posted already, and I look forward to seeing more. One nitpick, though. Judging from the Oilers' uniforms, I'm pretty sure these pics are from 1961 rather than 1960. Still love seeing them, though!

Agreed. The Oilers used "NCAA Gothic" (or whatever that face is actually called) for 1960 only on both their home and away uniforms.

Also, I love the ref's expression in that photo quoted above. Haha :D

Archived