NFL Expansion League

Brave-Bird 08

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#2-Los Angeles Defenders

- Here is the final product for the Los Angeles Defenders. I spent some time on an original font, and finally got done with the uniforms. I will reveal the alternate with the motion renderings like I did for Albuquerque.

------------------------

Invadersprimarylogo.png

------------------------

Defendersalternate.png

------------------------

DefendersHomeuniform.png

DefendersUniformRoad.png

I really like the helmet and the general color combination (somewhat Michigan Panthers?). In the secondary, I don't like the emphasis of the black in the "shield." I'm not sure what to do about this, but I don't care for the grey in the secondary (or primary, really) either. If it were colored differently, I think the secondary would be much stronger. Why not make the background of the "shield" blue like the sky, if the star in the center is supposed to be the sun?

Also, the wordmark still looks too 'stock-font.' I think if "Los Angeles" was in a different face, then it might look better. As it stands now though, the wordmark looks like an afterthought compared to the good looking logos.

I don't get what either logo has to do with the name 'Arsenal'? I wouldn't think 'Arsenal' if I saw a Trojan helmet,a and couple with the sundial thing, the impression I get from the logos is some sort of ancient Roman/Grecian team, not a modern 'Arsenal' military type team. I don't even really get the link between LA and 'Arsenal'. LA isn't a big military town is it?

I am not buying this as an organised and thought through identity.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Yeah I have to agree with Saintsfan, the imagery has nothing to do with the name at all.

ar⋅se⋅nal  [ahr-suh-nl, ahrs-nuhl] Show IPA

Use arsenal in a Sentence

?noun

1. a place of storage or a magazine containing arms and military equipment for land or naval service.

2. a government establishment where military equipment or munitions are manufactured.

3. a collection or supply of weapons or munitions.

That to me suggests far more modern gunpowder based weaponry and Trojan warriors didn't have that last time i checked. I think you need to come up with a more modern idea if you are going to use the name Arsenal. But again I would echo Saintsfan's question is there not a more relevant local theme that could be used which would be far more fitting and save Arsenal for a town with a stronger Military connection?

As to the execution of the logos the helmet is good, maybe a little over simplified to the point where it's almost bordering on clip-art but it's a good start. The sundial looks more Aztec than Greek/Roman/Trojan to me and just doesn't seem to sit well with the helmet.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

You could use the logo if you called the team either "The Defenders" or "The Spartans".

Gladiators would have worked as well. I'm also not sure of the use of light blue in there. Crimson, vegas gold, and black look sharp.

Defenders it is. Thanks for the feedback from all of you. And, I would say the logo's could fit because it's kind of an ode to USC. Revisions will be posted shortly.

::shudder::

Papyrus is an overused font that has no place in any sports logo. People have written blogs professing their hatred for Papyrus. It ranks right up there with Comic Sans or Copperplate.

You have a decent idea going. The helmet looks good, I love the color scheme you've chosen, and the secondary has a lot of potential. Sometimes, though, font choice is just as important. The wordmark of your concept shouldn't be left to a free font you can grab from Microsoft Word. Hit up a few font websites (dafont.com, urbanfonts, etc.), do some research, sketch, mess around with Illustrator.

Please don't think I'm bagging on your work. I'm not. It's good. I just hate Papyrus with a passion.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

::shudder::

Papyrus is an overused font that has no place in any sports logo. People have written blogs professing their hatred for Papyrus. It ranks right up there with Comic Sans or Copperplate.

You have a decent idea going. The helmet looks good, I love the color scheme you've chosen, and the secondary has a lot of potential. Sometimes, though, font choice is just as important. The wordmark of your concept shouldn't be left to a free font you can grab from Microsoft Word. Hit up a few font websites (dafont.com, urbanfonts, etc.), do some research, sketch, mess around with Illustrator.

Please don't think I'm bagging on your work. I'm not. It's good. I just hate Papyrus with a passion.

haha, its all good. im new to this stuff, so I thought papyrus was a fantastic font with tons of character!! but thanks for shooting down what other people hate... I'm going to make a font change then.

LOVE the concepts! Always tantalizes me to see "NFL Expansion" concepts (to me, 32 teams aren't barely enough!)

My name suggestions:

- Idaho Mashers (potatoes, of course-what else is Idaho really known for?)

- Las Vegas High Rollers (the #1 gamblers in the place, kinda like Generals or Admirals for army or navy cities)

- Los Angeles, CA **Los Angeles Defenders**

- Portland Thorns (Rose City, and "every rose has its thorn")

- San Antonio Warriors (Texan Army reference)

- Oklahoma City Barons (was going to be a prior concept name, also a finalist for the NBA team, but to me it's the best of the bunch)

- Albuquerque, NM **Albuquerque Invaders**

- Utah Sting/Utah Swarm ("beehive state")

- Memphis Kings (name of my MLF team, but I really think it'd be the best name for an M-town team)

- Orlando Explorers (Conquistadors/NASA)

- Richmond Rebels (politically incorrect roots, but could be turned into a '50's-themed team. Think "Rebels WITH a Cause!")

- Greensboro Freedom (old ECHL team name, but perfect-the city's namesake was a general in the American Revolution which led a battle that led to numerous British casualties, forcing General Cornwallis out of NC and into Virginia, where the Americans won at the war's final battle in Yorktown, hence American independence!) However, I tend to think Raleigh or Norfolk would make a better locale for the team.

- Kalamazoo Mallrats (home to the USA's first shopping mall). Though I do think Grand Rapids would be a better place for the team.

- Milwaukee Hogs (home to Harley-Davidson)

- Columbus Captains (obvious)

- Albany Crush (built on Fort Orange, and we all know what "orange crush" is). Though something tells me Rochester or Syracuse would be a better location.

bYhYmxh.png

- Richmond Rebels (politically incorrect roots, but could be turned into a '50's-themed team. Think "Rebels WITH a Cause!")

how is that politically incorrect? Richmond was the capital of the Confederate States of America for almost its whole life! I think the rebels would be a great name for a CSA based team

sig.png

LOVE the concepts! Always tantalizes me to see "NFL Expansion" concepts (to me, 32 teams aren't barely enough!)

My name suggestions:

- Idaho Mashers (potatoes, of course-what else is Idaho really known for?)

- Las Vegas High Rollers (the #1 gamblers in the place, kinda like Generals or Admirals for army or navy cities)

- Los Angeles, CA **Los Angeles Defenders**

- Portland Thorns (Rose City, and "every rose has its thorn")

- San Antonio Warriors (Texan Army reference)

- Oklahoma City Barons (was going to be a prior concept name, also a finalist for the NBA team, but to me it's the best of the bunch)

- Albuquerque, NM **Albuquerque Invaders**

- Utah Sting/Utah Swarm ("beehive state")

- Memphis Kings (name of my MLF team, but I really think it'd be the best name for an M-town team)

- Orlando Explorers (Conquistadors/NASA)

- Greensboro Freedom (old ECHL team name, but perfect-the city's namesake was a general in the American Revolution which led a battle that led to numerous British casualties, forcing General Cornwallis out of NC and into Virginia, where the Americans won at the war's final battle in Yorktown, hence American independence!) However, I tend to think Raleigh or Norfolk would make a better locale for the team.

- Kalamazoo Mallrats (home to the USA's first shopping mall). Though I do think Grand Rapids would be a better place for the team.

- Milwaukee Hogs (home to Harley-Davidson)

- Columbus Captains (obvious)

- Albany Crush (built on Fort Orange, and we all know what "orange crush" is). Though something tells me Rochester or Syracuse would be a better location.

woah haha. well, i will be defeating the purpose if i just copied ur ideas...but a few in there were already mapped out by me (i have all of the names down already... i just did not post them)

Archived