New Air Force uniforms

Mingjai

I ran a search and didn't see this mentioned in any topic, but it looks like Air Force is getting new uniforms this year. In recent years, they eliminated the silver from their helmets and went with a modern Nike template. Now their uniforms have no silver at all. It's too bad, because Air Force's royal blue and silver is a unique color scheme that is instantly recognizable.

new-home-jersey1-300x225.jpg

new-away-jersey-300x225.jpg

new-pants-225x300.jpg

Here's what they looked like before:

arresww.jpg

Air_Force_Notre_Dame__hall%20smith.JPG

EDIT: Sorry, here's the source (almost 2 months old now): http://gazetteafasports.freedomblogging.com/2009/07/06/here-they-are-the-new-football-uniforms/2139/

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

What's the story behind the lightning bolt motif? Why doesn't Air Force use their Falcon mascot?

The Air Force uses lightning bolts as a symbol of both speed and air striking power.

edit: The Falcon logo that the USAFA uses is awful. The lightning's a better look.

IUe6Hvh.png

It seems like, for about the past 5 years or so, Air Force has trotted out a new look every single season. And just about every time, it's been a downgrade. Anyone care to rustle up a pictorial timeline of the AFA from, say, 2000-present?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

When will it sink in that royal blue and black clash? The numbers on the white jersey look muddled now because someone is dumb enough to put black outline to a royal blue number. The point of an outline is to make something more visible, not less.

I was never a fan of the silver numbers, especially on the white jerseys, so that I like, but overall this is definitely a downgrade in my mind. And while I didn't like the silver numbers, that doesn't mean I wouldn't have liked to see silver somewhere on the jersey.

It seems like, for about the past 5 years or so, Air Force has trotted out a new look every single season. And just about every time, it's been a downgrade. Anyone care to rustle up a pictorial timeline of the AFA from, say, 2000-present?

Here's what I've been able to find (sorry, no exact years):

mid-80s:

060516-F-0001J-001.jpg

late 90s (note WAC and MWC patches):

Copper952.jpg

Go-Falcons-pre-game.jpg

early 00s:

051024-F-0000N-002.JPG

040920-F-0000S-003.jpg

mid 00s:

061111-F-0000R-001.jpg

061202-F-0000R-152.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

i have a few USAFA yearbook. i will look at the sports pages and see the old football jerseys. i know this has nothing to do with the football jerseys, but i know they have change the hockey jerseys a few times over the years.

so long and thanks for all the fish.

With the exception of the little bolt on the pants, these are not too bad. But I agree that it's unfortunate that a more unique color scheme was replaced for over-used black trim.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived