Sign in to follow this  
Mingjai

New Air Force uniforms

I ran a search and didn't see this mentioned in any topic, but it looks like Air Force is getting new uniforms this year. In recent years, they eliminated the silver from their helmets and went with a modern Nike template. Now their uniforms have no silver at all. It's too bad, because Air Force's royal blue and silver is a unique color scheme that is instantly recognizable.

new-home-jersey1-300x225.jpg

new-away-jersey-300x225.jpg

new-pants-225x300.jpg

Here's what they looked like before:

arresww.jpg

Air_Force_Notre_Dame__hall%20smith.JPG

EDIT: Sorry, here's the source (almost 2 months old now): http://gazetteafasports.freedomblogging.com/2009/07/06/here-they-are-the-new-football-uniforms/2139/

Sad, sad, sad to see. Granted, they weren't perfect by any stretch before, but these are no improvement.

Normally, I like this template. Unfortunately, Air Force adding those bolts just made it look ridiculous. Downgrade.

Those tiny bolts on the pants look so weak. The rest of the uniform isn't all that bad, but the pants absolutely KILL the rest of the set.

What's the story behind the lightning bolt motif? Why doesn't Air Force use their Falcon mascot?

What's the story behind the lightning bolt motif? Why doesn't Air Force use their Falcon mascot?

The Air Force uses lightning bolts as a symbol of both speed and air striking power.

edit: The Falcon logo that the USAFA uses is awful. The lightning's a better look.

They looked so much better with silver than black. And those little bolts are just funny to look at.

I know it's been a couple of years, but they need to bring back the stripes on the helmet.

And bring back silver in the uniforms.

It seems like, for about the past 5 years or so, Air Force has trotted out a new look every single season. And just about every time, it's been a downgrade. Anyone care to rustle up a pictorial timeline of the AFA from, say, 2000-present?

Are the United States taxpayers paying for all these uniform changes by Air Force? *sarcasm*

I have to disagree with the elimination of silver from the color scheme. Now they look more like Memphis.

And Memphis needs to eliminate a lot of black itself.

When will it sink in that royal blue and black clash? The numbers on the white jersey look muddled now because someone is dumb enough to put black outline to a royal blue number. The point of an outline is to make something more visible, not less.

I was never a fan of the silver numbers, especially on the white jerseys, so that I like, but overall this is definitely a downgrade in my mind. And while I didn't like the silver numbers, that doesn't mean I wouldn't have liked to see silver somewhere on the jersey.

What a crappy change. You could really do something with their colors and mascot, too.

Guess I know who I'll be rooting for when they play Army and Navy...

It seems like, for about the past 5 years or so, Air Force has trotted out a new look every single season. And just about every time, it's been a downgrade. Anyone care to rustle up a pictorial timeline of the AFA from, say, 2000-present?

Here's what I've been able to find (sorry, no exact years):

mid-80s:

060516-F-0001J-001.jpg

late 90s (note WAC and MWC patches):

Copper952.jpg

Go-Falcons-pre-game.jpg

early 00s:

051024-F-0000N-002.JPG

040920-F-0000S-003.jpg

mid 00s:

061111-F-0000R-001.jpg

061202-F-0000R-152.jpg

i have a few USAFA yearbook. i will look at the sports pages and see the old football jerseys. i know this has nothing to do with the football jerseys, but i know they have change the hockey jerseys a few times over the years.

With the exception of the little bolt on the pants, these are not too bad. But I agree that it's unfortunate that a more unique color scheme was replaced for over-used black trim.