New MLB Batting Helmets

meetthemets

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks ridiculous, but protects better.

I think David Wright would rethink the fashion statement... that is if his scrambled noggin could do any thinking after getting beaned...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

It doesn't look great. But if it can protect someone from a 100 MPH fastball, I'm all for it.

Honestly, players taking one on the dome isn't a big enough problem to warrant the Gazoo helmets. I'm not saying there's no danger but it's not like guys are getting their skulls cracked a couple times a week or anything. Damn are those things ugly.

BB52Big.jpg

It doesn't look great. But if it can protect someone from a 100 MPH fastball, I'm all for it.

Honestly, players taking one on the dome isn't a big enough problem to warrant the Gazoo helmets. I'm not saying there's no danger but it's not like guys are getting their skulls cracked a couple times a week or anything. Damn are those things ugly.

You've got a point there. I mean, I am all about safety and this thing can take a direct hit 30 MPH faster than the current ones. But it's also true that guys are not getting popped every night. I just wouldn't want something serious to happen to a player and if these ugly things is what can make it happen, then perhaps they can wear them until a smaller, better looking solution comes out.

I don't know that there's a way to make them smaller. Paul Lukas had a good article on ESPN.com about them, showing it side by side with the regular and Cool Flo helmets. These new Rawlings helmets have significantly more padding inside, almost twice as thick as what the current ones have.

As of right now, it doesn't look possible to make the exterior smaller while keeping the same interior protection.

Years ago I read an article about a similar situation with hockey helmets. Many of the star players, like Gretzky, Jagr and Mario Lemieux, had padding that was barely 1/2 inch thick on the inside. I think they were grandfathered, and every player since has had to wear helmets with a mandatory minimum of padding inside (maybe 3/4", not sure exactly).

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Wow, if I just saw that photo with no text to describe it, I'd have pegged it as a photoshopped pic... that's not a good sign for these helmets. I'm predicting they go the way of the 'new' NBA ball.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

They did a side by side on Baseball Tonight. The one guy, I don't watch that show often and don't know who he is, put on one of the new helmets. It looked fine on him, not super oversized like in the above pic. Maybe David Wright just has a really tiny head? I will say that my overall reaction to that picture was, "ehh, safety first."

So let's wait until a player dies before we accept these helmets...

Good idea.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived