WNBA Lowering the Rim a Good Idea?

Dodger

At what point would it become a parody of itself though? Once you put the rims too low, it's just pathetic. You still have some tall women playing who are over 6' tall, so if you put the rim at say, 8 feet, that's just an outright joke. When I was around 6' when I was younger (I'm 6'7" now) I could go down to the park and dunk on the kids 8' hoops without even fully extending my arm. Also, they've been playing their whole high school/college/pro lives with a 10' rim. That'd be like shortening the distance of the bases or pitching rubber in baseball, or making it 1st & 8 in football, or something like that.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Are dunks what's keeping the WNBA from being more successful? Really? It could be slamball with the tramps for half a season wearing leotards, and it still might not bring a rabid fanbase.

I think this thread was started just to give people an opportunity to bash women's basketball. Why even raise this question. No one is seriously thinking about doing this in the WNBA, NCAA, or HS. Maybe the middle school down the street...maybe.

I do think it's funny that some of the guys doing the bashing are the same ones that get all buttsore when someone bashes the stupid irrelevant niche sports they slobber all over.

I didn't start this to bash womens' basketball. In fact from the few games I have watched, I respect what they do. I just thought it was an interesting topic that would generate some opinions. It's not the best idea, but I guarentee more people would watch. Who says this needs to be compared to the NCAA? The WNBA is it's own league. Who wouldn't want to see Candace Parker break away and throw down a windmill?

It was bit of exaggeration, sorry. I didn't mean to cast you in with the bashers, Dodger. Anytime women's b-ball is brought up people fall all over themselves to just kill it. Yet these same nyuk-nyuks tout the virtues of hockey, soccer, rugby and australian rules football and lambaste anyone who would dare say an unflattering word about their sport.

I for one wouldn't mind seeing it, but her doing it on anything other than a regulation height rim would cheapen it for me. I used to be able to do the sickest dunks on my homeboy's 9-foot rim. But I never dunked on a 10 foot rim, so I've never really dunked.

I don't even think the WNBA should ever consider doing a dunk contest with shorter rims. They are a professional league, they need to maintain professional standards.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The WNBA doesn't have a true, nationally known face of the league. You could argue Lisa Leslie, but what usually goes hand in hand with "face of the league" is sex appeal. Tennis has Kournikova and Sharipova, the Indy Racing League has Danica Patrick, women's soccer has Brandi Chastain who is know for nothing more than taking her top off...

WNBA + more hotties = success?

Sexist, probably, but true?

Anytime women's b-ball is brought up people fall all over themselves to just kill it. Yet these same nyuk-nyuks tout the virtues of hockey, soccer, rugby and australian rules football and lambaste anyone who would dare say an unflattering word about their sport.

I don't have a problem with women's basketball at all. I don't enjoy it as much as men's basketball, but I don't have an issue with it.

And my only problem with people who put down footy lies in those who look at it and trash it without trying to understand it first. Sit down, watch a game. If you don't like it, that's fine. But don't give me an uneducated opinion because you (not you, Greg, but people in general) won't take the time to try and get what's going on.

philly.png

I don't have a problem with women's basketball at all. I don't enjoy it as much as men's basketball, but I don't have an issue with it.

Quoth the Barrish, "No one outside of Connecticut or Tennessee cares about women's basketball..."

Based on your initial statement, I'm not sure I'd agree with your "I don't have a problem with basketball" speech. rolleyes.gif

Keep the rim at ten feet.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Quoth the Barrish, "No one outside of Connecticut or Tennessee cares about women's basketball..."

Generally speaking. I'm not saying that it's not popular outside of those two programs, but the point I was trying to make is that the WNBA pales in comparison to College Basketball with respect to popularity, and generally speaking, those two programs are always top of the heap with respect to how closely they are followed.

philly.png

Just to play devil's advocate, volleyball uses different net heights for men and women.

But in this case, the hard core fans would find it patronizing; casual observers would see right through it. If they were going to try out something from the LBA, they'd be better off using the spandex uniforms. Yowza.

2825101218_dcddd775fb.jpg

the Indy Racing League has Danica Patrick

I would hope the WNBA finds a better "face of the league" than the Patrick comparison. While having "joined the boys' club," banking on what, one victory, probably not the best thing to bank upon.

Still wouldn't watch. Wake me up when its like NBA Jam and there's spots on the court worth 9 points. Boomshakalaka!

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

It could be slamball with the tramps

I'm pretty sure they don't like being called that.

Hoo cares wut dey liek, dey juss wimmin! We tell dem wut 2 do! Dey juss bedder shut up n listin!

N make me sum sammiches!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived