Texas Stars

Korbyn

the joke comment was more or less directed at Korbyn... I have nothing wrong with Austin Stars, so that's where my confusion about the humor came from.

I got confused and thought that he wanted the Dallas Stars to move to Austin to better suit his needs since he lives in Austin.

However I was totally wrong, and i'm not even 100% sure he lives there ...

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

lol... nope... i've never even been to austin. i've been in south dallas since i moved to texas in 91.

the dallas stars should stay in dallas... the texas stars should use the dallas stars primary logo, but with AUSTIN instead of DALLAS... and be the austin stars.

cedar park paid for and built a new arean so i doubt they want the team to be called the austin stars since the city of austin didn't pay for it.

and i'm sure that's the case...

but at the same time, arlington hosts the dallas cowboys in a very similar situation.

this is less about the politics of who paid for what, and who deserves what naming rights... it's just that austin stars looks better then texas stars, and makes more sense on a city/state level to me.

Lone Stars would not work because "Lone" means singular, "Stars" is plural. While I don't care for South Stars it is still better than Lone Stars.

This is a misunderstanding of the grammar and origins of corporate plurals. Going back to Middle English, the plural attaches regardless of the true number of the word itself when discussing a group of the individuals who make up a corporate body named for the word. So for example while Prince Henry is obviously a single person who cannot be plural, members of an army regiment or crewmembers of a ship named for Prince Henry would be called, collectively, Prince Henrys. Due to later linguistic practice in the nineteenth century, sports teams were named using the group-of-individuals plural rules. So Lone Stars is entirely correct.

Not also that if one objects to "Lone Stars" one must also object to "North Stars," since by definition there can be only one North Star; the adjective "north" in this instance defines the noun as singular just as strongly as does the adjective "lone."

Really though. If we're gonna nitpick, we may as well chastise the Maple Leafs for not being the "Maple Leaves" and Colorado for not being the "Buffalo." And why not go all out and demand that the "Red Socks" and "White Socks" change to their "correct" names.

cedar park paid for and built a new arean so i doubt they want the team to be called the austin stars since the city of austin didn't pay for it.

Did the state of Texas pay for it?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 3 weeks later...

The best Stars update IMO, would be using the Old Iowa Stars logo and replacing the IOWA with DALLAS.

Bingo.

Lone Stars would not work because "Lone" means singular, "Stars" is plural. While I don't care for South Stars it is still better than Lone Stars.

Tell that to the Toronto Maple Leafs.

AS for this particular team, I would have liked to see them use the /\ as the bottom of the X in 'Texas'.

Archived