2010 MLB New Logos, Uniforms, Patches

Brian E

Why do teams keep getting halfway with their powder blues??? :mad:

Royals, Rays, Brewers: Please get powder blue jerseys AND pants!!! (including city names, no less)

Matching powder blue jerseys with white pants is like matching gray jerseys with white pants... It just doesn't work...

-- $0.02 --

The problem is that neither the Brewers nor anyone else I'm aware of wore powder blues at home. That was their road uni, and what's the point of wearing road throwbacks at home? (Or, for that matter, on the road except for special occasions.)

I wasn't talking about throwbacks @ home... Wear the powder blues ON THE ROAD!!! For some teams (again: Rays, Royals, Brewers) powder blue roadies look way better than plain grays because of their particular color scheme... just like the Padres look better wearing sand over gray on the road...

Some teams' road grays look "forced" especially those with warm color schemes (green/gold, brick/sand)... Just imagine for a moment if every NFL team were forced to wear black jerseys trimmed in team colors (like the fashion jerseys you've probably seen from time to time)... Sure, some teams would look awesome in black (some already do!) but a few ones would look plain weird (Dolphins??? Giants??? Packers???)...

Then again, it's just one man's opinion... I think of myself as a purist on many aspects of baseball and sports in general... but I still can't understand the whole gray-must-always-be-worn-on-the-road thing... If done right, khaki and powder blue could work just as fine for some teams...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously, what started this whole powder blue phenomenon and why do so many teams want to jump on the bandwagon?

The Denver Nuggets made powder blue cool for hip-hop. That may have something to do with it.

The White Sox in powder and dark blue might look interesting, but I don't know how many fans (or players) would want to be reminded of the late-sixties White Sox, who gave way to one of the worst teams in Sox history. And as long as the Cubs don't use the inverted-pinstripe monstrosity it would be OK.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

Seriously, what started this whole ?powder blue? phenomenon and why do so many teams want to jump on the bandwagon?

Powder blue, sky blue, light blue, etc. seems to be the "it" color these days, especially when it's teamed with navy blue.

Royals, Rays, Brewers: Please get powder blue jerseys AND pants!!! (including city names, no less)

Matching powder blue jerseys with white pants is like matching gray jerseys with white pants... It just doesn't work...

-- $0.02 --

The problem is that neither the Brewers nor anyone else I'm aware of wore powder blues at home. That was their road uni, and what's the point of wearing road throwbacks at home? (Or, for that matter, on the road except for special occasions.)

I wasn't talking about throwbacks @ home... Wear the powder blues ON THE ROAD!!! For some teams (again: Rays, Royals, Brewers) powder blue roadies look way better than plain grays because of their particular color scheme... just like the Padres look better wearing sand over gray on the road...

Some teams' road grays look "forced" especially those with warm color schemes (green/gold, brick/sand)... Just imagine for a moment if every NFL team were forced to wear black jerseys trimmed in team colors (like the fashion jerseys you've probably seen from time to time)... Sure, some teams would look awesome in black (some already do!) but a few ones would look plain weird (Dolphins??? Giants??? Packers???)...

Then again, it's just one man's opinion... I think of myself as a purist on many aspects of baseball and sports in general... but I still can't understand the whole gray-must-always-be-worn-on-the-road thing... If done right, khaki and powder blue could work just as fine for some teams...

I agree with your thoughts of wearing the powder blue on the road. Frankly, I think all baseball teams who have a dark top should wear them on the road.

But I think the reason we see the powder blues and dark jerseys at home is to move merchandise. Best way to do that is to wear them at home, fans see them in person, fall in love with them and rush to the team shop in the stadium to buy one on the spot. Good way to capitalize on impulse buyers.

I like how the Royals use powder blue now. I wouldn't object if they went to blue pants as well, either at home or on the road. An all-powder home uni would be distinctive, and probably good for a team that needs something distinctive to be noticed by anyone outside of KCSP's broadcasting radius. However, I would mind if the team ever adopted powder blue hats. I know that they're not named for the color, but still: If your team's name is also the name of a color, then you had better wear that color, not some other shade, as your primary color. The color of the jersey fabric amounts to a canvass on which the team identity is painted, so the uniform fabric doesn't need to conform to the team's color scheme. But the cap is different: in baseball, the cap is a team's primary identity device. So please, KC, wear all the powder blue you want from the neck down. But keep your caps royal blue.

20082614447.png

Seriously, what started this whole “powder blue” phenomenon and why do so many teams want to jump on the bandwagon?

The Denver Nuggets made powder blue cool for hip-hop. That may have something to do with it.

The White Sox in powder and dark blue might look interesting, but I don't know how many fans (or players) would want to be reminded of the late-sixties White Sox, who gave way to one of the worst teams in Sox history. And as long as the Cubs don't use the inverted-pinstripe monstrosity it would be OK.

No major sport has less to do with hip-hop than baseball. I don't think MLB is taking fashion tips from other leagues either.

I just think it's because so many teams used it in the past...and once someone had the stones to bring it back, then other teams said, "Well :censored:, let's get us some of this powder blue money, too!"

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Well, the baseball cap is a big part of hip-hop. But it is usually a different color than the game cap and the main ones out there for rappers are the Yanks NY, the Braves A, and the Dodgers LA.

As far as changes to uniforms, it would be nice to at least see the Brewers and Rays adopt the city name on the road uniform. I hope the Rangers end this Texas Texas deal as well. That is kinda ridiculous.

I like how the Royals use powder blue now. I wouldn't object if they went to blue pants as well, either at home or on the road. An all-powder home uni would be distinctive, and probably good for a team that needs something distinctive to be noticed by anyone outside of KCSP's broadcasting radius. However, I would mind if the team ever adopted powder blue hats. I know that they're not named for the color, but still: If your team's name is also the name of a color, then you had better wear that color, not some other shade, as your primary color. The color of the jersey fabric amounts to a canvass on which the team identity is painted, so the uniform fabric doesn't need to conform to the team's color scheme. But the cap is different: in baseball, the cap is a team's primary identity device. So please, KC, wear all the powder blue you want from the neck down. But keep your caps royal blue.

You're going to be disappointed then, although it will feature royal.

Seriously, what started this whole ?powder blue? phenomenon and why do so many teams want to jump on the bandwagon?

When I think of powder blue, I always think of the Chargers. IMO they really popularized the color when they wore their throwbacks. Everyone loved it so much (myself included), that they made an updated alternate. As someone else mentioned, I don't think one team really made the color. It's just the "it" color now, like teal in the 90s. But the Chargers and Nuggets probably did play a key role.

Personally I really like the color. Depending on who gets the powder blue hat I may buy one. I don't think anyone mentioned it, but the Mariners may be one of the teams. Although I feel they'd be more likely to bring back teal than switch to powder blue.

Out of the teams that are actually scheduled for changes for the upcoming season, the possibilities for another powder blue jersey rest with only three of them. Brewers, Twins, and Rays, which some of you have already mentioned.

Sounds like you have insider information.

"I?ve seen all the new MLB designs for next season and can report that another team is going to have a powder blue alternate jersey, plus one team is adding a powder blue alt cap."

Could it be the Royals with this cap?

kc1-2.jpg

Blue Brim and blue button and you're closer on the hat.

This is the first thing I thought of when reading about a powder blue cap on this thread. There was no reason to have that cap as an -- inaccurate -- throwback other than to float the idea. If there was no outrage then... why not float it for real, or at least a variation of it. So are the pants coming with? Personally I have no problem with light blue being paired with white pants for home use. Works as well -- or as poorly -- as the Cubs royal blue alts. In fact, I happen to like how the Royals modernized the light blue jersey. Not sure I'll like these caps, though.

For the new jersey, I was thinking Rays -- since they have underplayed it so far -- or Twins, since they are changing anyway. (And the Brewers have already marginalized the throwbacks, so I'm not sure why they'd bother.) My hopes for the road pinstripes staying in Minnesota are fading. Hope the powder is an alt if it happens.

Seriously, what started this whole “powder blue” phenomenon and why do so many teams want to jump on the bandwagon?

No major sport has less to do with hip-hop than baseball. I don't think MLB is taking fashion tips from other leagues either.

I just think it's because so many teams used it in the past...and once someone had the stones to bring it back, then other teams said, "Well :censored:, let's get us some of this powder blue money, too!"

I don't know, I think hockey might have a little less to do with hip-hop. Anyways, I for one am glad to see more powder blue, but I wish it was exclusively for road uni's. I would also like to see a variety of other pastels, like more sand (or khaki), pastel yellow, spring green, and varying shades of blue that can be lighter, brighter, or subdued with grey for a steely look. But then again, I've felt baseball has needed this kind of overhaul for a while now. One can dream…

Archived