2010 MLB New Logos, Uniforms, Patches

Brian E

I agree that celebrating 55 years is kinda dumb, but in this case, it's the 55th year since something that happened in '55, so they can justify it at least to some extent.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Commemorating the 55th anniversary of a championship that was won in another city seems somewhat ridiculous to me.

Not really. Just because the Mets wish they were the Dodgers doesn't mean the actual team can't celebrate its Brooklyn-based achievements, however dubious a 55th anniversary patch may be. There's been such strong continuity in the team between Brooklyn and Los Angeles that it would seem wrong to pretend the Brooklyn Dodgers have nothing to do with them.

I like how the numbers mimic the B on the old hats, but I don't really like the idea of commemorative patches. If you have to celebrate something, just put the logo up somewhere in the park.

What do the Mets have anything to do with what I said? My point is that first off, who celebrates the 55th anniversary of something? Why didn't they wear a patch in '05 to commemorate the 50th anniversary. Secondly, although in LA they do acknowledge the team's past in Brooklyn somewhat, they could do a much better job. This patch is a good start, but I still think the 55th anniversary idea is stupid. I do really love the patch though.

On almost any other occasion I'd agree with you, but the coincidence of the double 55s makes this odd anniversary patch work for me. (Given that our softball team wore a patch for its 13th anniversary, I may just be weird about this.

Expect Tampa Bay Rays to try to upgrade roster despite payroll restrictions

By Marc Topkin, Times Staff Writer

In Print: Sunday, January 31, 2010

Rays rumblings: That sky blue in the new road batting practice cap may show up on a new alternate jersey, too.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

If the "join the fight" line is Gaslamp's, then that's kind of stupid. If it's from the Padres, it's moronic. Listen, I am usually on the "Let the Padres do this Military Support" thing, but at some point, they're crossing the line from "show of support" to "dress-up nonsense". I like the Padres, and I like what they do for the community there, but there's a reason it's a slippery slope.

Hey, Padres, this is what it means to "Join the Fight":

Anything short of that, please kindly shut the heck up. Folks who actually join the fight are heroes. The Padres are a bunch of physically fit young men playing a children's lawn game for money, which is pretty much the exact and complete opposite of heroism.

"Joined the fight"? I sure know what to make of it.

:puke:

More empty flag-waving nonsense from the Pads. Nobody panders quite the way they do.

Shame, because the roundel's not bad. But "join the fight"? Sure, pal. If soldiers weren't actually, you know, dying in combat every day right now, it would only be slightly insulting to suggest your overpaid millionaires are somehow engaged in the same noble pursuits.

As a contributor to a rival team's blog, I've been around Gaslamp Ball a fair amount, and I can all but guarantee it was said with tongue firmly in cheek.

While I agree about most of the points being made on the subject (about turning the military into a gimmick, etc), people around here need to chill out a little.

I'm not as familiar with Gaslamp as I could be. If it's said in jest, I jumped on him too harshly.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I like the Marlins script better than Florida. The Florida just didn't look right to me... doesn't flow as well. It's just such a dreary jersey for a Miami-based team. Needs orange or yellow or at least flip the black and teal.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Looking dreary is inappropriate for Miami, but totally appropriate for the Marlins. They have no significant fanbase, they soullessly manufacture and export players like a farm team, and pocket the revenue sharing from the big-city teams they suck dry in trades. They're a cold evil baseball machine and I hate them and I wish they didn't exist.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I like the Marlins. Went to their first two games ever, Game 6 of the '97 series and one of the FanFests. My folks live in Jupiter, where they share the spring site with the Cardinals.

The road jersey is a little dull. I liked the first version, with Florida spelled out in the arch and the fish. And I liked the teal caps and pinstripes, too.

The owner is a bit of a doof, but that only means he fits in with most of the rest of the owners.

That Marlins jersey actually looks pretty good but there's one thing I've always found interesting about that jersey "script": it's not a script but rather print letters strung together. Even though a lot of jersey scripts are somewhat attenuated I can't think of others that are quite like that one. I know there's print letters like the Giants or Indians from the "Major League" days but what about print letters like that are made to be a connected jersey "script." What others are there?

mets.png

Indians were just using vertical-arched varsity serif circa Major League, weren't they? The Rockies use something all too close to Times New Roman and kern it pretty tight. Is that what you mean?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Indians were just using vertical-arched varsity serif circa Major League, weren't they? The Rockies use something all too close to Times New Roman and kern it pretty tight. Is that what you mean?

He means how they flow together and touch one another like a cursive script logo, yet they're just regular non-cursive letters. They even have a tail - I think that's the only "script" that's ever had a tail that hasn't been cursive letters.

EDIT: I've always thought that the termination of the tail on their jerseys was just brilliant. It's different, and really goes with their name. It might be my favorite thing about their uniforms.

Great, so now we're discussing it in two threads.

it probably does. It's an unavoidable annoyance.

Archived