2010 MLB New Logos, Uniforms, Patches

Brian E

They've really been pushing silver/grey as an Official Team Color lately (see the new dugout jackets with the silver and white "New York" script) and I'm just not feeling it. Like I've said before, the Yankees sort of transcend the whole concept of team colors.

I feel like dropping the red is slowly pushing them away from their primary logo. Wonder if there's any chance that their current primary is relegated to the role of an alternate logo (which it basically is anyway) and the interlocking NY becomes their new primary?

I certainly hope not. Who must keep their logos around, even though they're nowhere to be found? The Yankees, the Yankees! Tradition!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They've really been pushing silver/grey as an Official Team Color lately (see the new dugout jackets with the silver and white "New York" script) and I'm just not feeling it. Like I've said before, the Yankees sort of transcend the whole concept of team colors.

If the Yankees ever do formally drop red from their color scheme, it will mean only one thing: Crimson alt jerseys for the Mets!

Functionally, the Yanks have only one color, and so I like how the gray allows them to offer contrast where needed without introducing an additional color the team doesn't otherwise wear. Being the Yankees, I kind of want to hate anything the team does, but in this case I just can't. The blue and gray looks good. Elegant, even. I had kind of hoped that the Nats would be named the Grays with a blue and gray color scheme, and the Yankees are demonstrating what a good look these colors can be.

But I'll join the hate-em crowd if the Yankees ever turn their gray into silver. That would be a step too far; gray is understated and complements the midnight blue. Silver would be a brashly discordant note.

20082614447.png

Well, I think the Yankees should use single-layer for everything, obviating the need for extra contrast. Ideally, there'd be no white on the roads and the tailed Yankees script would be on the jackets, so everything they wear would just be midnight blue with white or grey. Of course, you still have the primary logo blue and Yankee Stadium blue sort of in the general palette, but it's an endearing inconsistency.

I certainly hope not. Who must keep their logos around, even though they're nowhere to be found? The Yankees, the Yankees! Tradition!

What are you talking about? The primary continues to be well-used.

I'll grant that the print logo (not cap logo) gets more placement, but unlike the print logo the primary actually takes the field:

Baltimore+Orioles+v+New+York+Yankees+4qf9vdRECY5l.jpg

I don't believe so, but I have to tell you, I absolutely HATE that the silhouette on the back of the hat is navy and gray this year (as it was last year with the inaugural season patch, but that was understandable). I loved the regular red, white, and navy that they've ALWAYS used. It just looks odd to me. I noticed they used the gray in the silhouette on the back of all their warmup gear as well. Watching the game yesterday though I didn't notice if they changed the color of the silhouette on the back of the jerseys, or if red is still included. I imagine they'll change it, although I really hope that isn't the case. I'll be devastated because it just doesn't look right to me. Especially since all of my Yankee jerseys has the traditionally colored silhouette on the back.

It was gray against the Pirates. I can't post the pic right now, but Getty has one of Cervelli being tagged at second by Ronny Cedeno. At full size it is gray.

It's not just the batterman logo on the caps....

gal_yanks4.jpg

Yes... that's what I was referring to, the jerseys. Thanks for posting a pic. I have a closeup but that works.

Well, I think the Yankees should use single-layer for everything, obviating the need for extra contrast. Ideally, there'd be no white on the roads and the tailed Yankees script would be on the jackets, so everything they wear would just be midnight blue with white or grey. Of course, you still have the primary logo blue and Yankee Stadium blue sort of in the general palette, but it's an endearing inconsistency.

I'm not really a fan of the Phillies uniforms, but I think that they should follow this advice too (substitute midnight blue with red of course.) Or at least make their white trim a lot thinner. I hate that their "script" is just a big white patch with Phillies written on it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 2 weeks later...

My in-laws just sent me one of the new Twins road caps for my birthday. With the Target Field Inaugural Season patch, of course.

I was going to post here and comment that while I still don't like the concept of the hat, the execution is quite good. In that the red bill draws out the red in the TC logo a bit more, making the red C a bit more easily visible. And the cap just plain looks good.

But then I was in a crowd this morning waiting to hear President Obama give a speech at a local college, wearing my new cap, and from over my shoulder I hear a guy say, "Hey, Cleveland! All right! Go Tribe!" I turn my head to see what's going on, and there's a guy in an Indians cap looking at me with a big grin. The instant I catch his eye, he sees my cap, mouths an "oh!" and says, "So you guys gonna sign Mauer or what?" We chatted for a minute or two about the AL Central. Turns out he saw my navy cap with red brim from behind and thought it was an Indians cap. (Out here in DC, I'd have assumed a Braves cap, but the guy was a Cleveland native, so he saw the Indians.)

First time I wore this cap in public, too. So I'm thinking maybe the new road cap isn't such a great marketing move for the Twins after all.

20082614447.png

Ha... My wife gets annoyed when I wear my Cubs cap out because someone random always has a comment on the team. Never had anyone think it was the Dodgers or anything. Bears once, but that guy wasn't all there.

Well, at least the red bill helps bring out the red in the Twins logo.

4159843530_49f2dc0f06.jpg

3460550837_9d8790ab28_b.jpg

Not to sound like a bitter Met fan but it looks to me like they're two options are going to be squeezing 2009 below without it having the same spacing as the others or rearranging all the others. Kind of poor planning for a team that is a perennial championship contender.

mets.png

The primary Yankees logo is a nice enough logo, sure. I just feel it's unnecessary. I think I can say, with a fair degree of confidence, that the print NY logo is the primary mark most baseball fans worldwide associate with the team. The NY is strikingly simple, and yet just as much representative of the franchise's history as the official primary is.

So bottom line? The Yankees need to drop their official primary and promote the print NY logo to the status of primary.

You might make the same argument about any team with a distinctive cap logo - the Dodgers, the Phillies, the A's. I'd wager that, in all those cases, baseball fans are inclined to think of the cap logo before the team's primary (I had to look up the A's just to see if they still had a primary that was different from the cap logo). I know you can't find more than a dozen baseball fans outside of Wisconsin who could tell you what the Brewers' primary is, although people recognize my cap for what it is all the time.

I'd much rather the Yankees just drop the print logo altogether - they don't need three versions of the interlocking "NY" logo, and that's both the ugliest interpretation and the only one not found on the uniform. Use the real cap logo, instead of this unbalanced, goofy version.

His point (and mine before) was that, contrary to reports, the Yankees' primary logo is used quite extensively in New York.

You might make the same argument about any team with a distinctive cap logo - the Dodgers, the Phillies, the A's. I'd wager that, in all those cases, baseball fans are inclined to think of the cap logo before the team's primary (I had to look up the A's just to see if they still had a primary that was different from the cap logo). I know you can't find more than a dozen baseball fans outside of Wisconsin who could tell you what the Brewers' primary is, although people recognize my cap for what it is all the time.

I'd much rather the Yankees just drop the print logo altogether - they don't need three versions of the interlocking "NY" logo, and that's both the ugliest interpretation and the only one not found on the uniform. Use the real cap logo, instead of this unbalanced, goofy version.

His point (and mine before) was that, contrary to reports, the Yankees' primary logo is used quite extensively in New York.

I presume you're talking about this logo:

1258.gif

Boston+Red+Sox+v+New+York+Yankees+9K6H21yVV0Wl.jpg

The Yankees apparently have three versions of the NY logo.

The jersey variant , the cap variant, and a print variant that I haven't really seen.

If you ask me, and I know this will be an unpopular opinion with fellow fans of traditional uniforms, they need to pick one version and eliminate the other two. I prefer the jersey variant, personally.

Anyone else notice in the pics at Yankee Stadium that the primary logo is slightly different? By different, I'm talking about the Blue in the logo - officially, it's Royal Blue, but in those pics it looks like they might have modified it to be Navy. Here's the official mark:

NewYorkYankees_PRM_1936-9999.png

Personally, changing the Blue to Navy is a good start...I'd rather they modernize the whole thing, but IMO, Navy looks better.

Hadn't noticed that color shift - great catch.

I presume you're talking about this logo:

1258.gif

Boston+Red+Sox+v+New+York+Yankees+9K6H21yVV0Wl.jpg

Not actually the same logo. Close, but not quite - the helmet logo is thicker and curves differently.

4460193654_d0eac16073_o.jpg

Four versions of their interlocking "NY" - I keep forgetting about the batting helmet.

The one listed in the style guides, and consequently the main site, as the "cap logo" is actually the print logo (which isn't even close).

Ice is (mostly) right - time to lose two of them. I rather like the complimentary yet distinct uniform logos (as with the Tigers, incidentally). But the print logo is just awful, the helmet logo's not much better, and both are extraneous when compared to the elegant cap and jersey logos.

Phillies and Astros to wear 1965 throwbacks:

Astros.com

dickallen.jpg

Callison1.jpg

Large numbers on back. Love that version of the P.

astro52.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Good news all around.

That's my favorite Astros uniform, evoking a sense of space-age completely absent from the current Olde Weste mess without going overboard into the tequilla sunrise.

And that P cap logo is so much better than the current one. It's an example of what happens when you demand all logos be identical - that P looks good as part of the Phillies' wordmark, but doesn't stand as well on its own.

The current Phillies cap P is the worst in at least the last 65 years (maybe more, I don't have time to look it up.) There was actually a difference between the 50s P and that 65 P (I think anyway - I think the 50s one was a little thinner). I think the 50s one is great, and I wish they could have made a different script that integrated it (though the late mid to late 40s was better all around IMO.)

Hm, I always thought the current P was a good built-to-last update of the '50s one. I love the idea of the Phils in maroon because it's a cool color and it's one to call their own, but the swirly-P was too much a product of its time.

Archived