2010 MLB New Logos, Uniforms, Patches

Brian E

Hadn't noticed that color shift - great catch.

You might make the same argument about any team with a distinctive cap logo - the Dodgers, the Phillies, the A's. I'd wager that, in all those cases, baseball fans are inclined to think of the cap logo before the team's primary (I had to look up the A's just to see if they still had a primary that was different from the cap logo). I know you can't find more than a dozen baseball fans outside of Wisconsin who could tell you what the Brewers' primary is, although people recognize my cap for what it is all the time.

I'd much rather the Yankees just drop the print logo altogether - they don't need three versions of the interlocking "NY" logo, and that's both the ugliest interpretation and the only one not found on the uniform. Use the real cap logo, instead of this unbalanced, goofy version.

His point (and mine before) was that, contrary to reports, the Yankees' primary logo is used quite extensively in New York.

I presume you're talking about this logo:

1258.gif

Boston+Red+Sox+v+New+York+Yankees+9K6H21yVV0Wl.jpg

Not actually the same logo. Close, but not quite - the helmet logo is thicker and curves differently.

4460193654_d0eac16073_o.jpg

Four versions of their interlocking "NY" - I keep forgetting about the batting helmet.

The one listed in the style guides, and consequently the main site, as the "cap logo" is actually the print logo (which isn't even close).

Ice is (mostly) right - time to lose two of them. I rather like the complimentary yet distinct uniform logos (as with the Tigers, incidentally). But the print logo is just awful, the helmet logo's not much better, and both are extraneous when compared to the elegant cap and jersey logos.

Are the differences in the cap logo and the print logo at all due to the fairly recent innovation of raising the cap logo? Just thinking that adding that thickness -- not just to the Yankees cap, but all caps -- distorted not only the overall look, but also some of the details on the edges.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4460193654_d0eac16073_o.jpg

Four versions of their interlocking "NY" - I keep forgetting about the batting helmet.

The one listed in the style guides, and consequently the main site, as the "cap logo" is actually the print logo (which isn't even close).

Ice is (mostly) right - time to lose two of them. I rather like the complimentary yet distinct uniform logos (as with the Tigers, incidentally). But the print logo is just awful, the helmet logo's not much better, and both are extraneous when compared to the elegant cap and jersey logos.

Are the differences in the cap logo and the print logo at all due to the fairly recent innovation of raising the cap logo? Just thinking that adding that thickness -- not just to the Yankees cap, but all caps -- distorted not only the overall look, but also some of the details on the edges.

I'd tend to doubt it, as the curved diagonal bar is certainly within the capacity of the puffed embroidery.

And as far back as the mid 1970s that logo was used outside of the embroidered caps themselves, as seen at the top of this stained glass window in what was then called "Yankee Stadium II":

30stadium.1.190.jpg

I suspect that the current cap logo grew out of this cap logo, with the straight diagonal bar:

31289c.jpg

Round off the sharp points, and that's a lot closer to the current cap logo than it is the current print logo.

A slightly different version of the print logo (not tipping to the right) was used on the caps for a period in the 1960s.

Then again, maybe not.

This 1953 Mickey Mantle cap has something close to the current logo on it.

43633_01_lg.jpg

This 1980s cap (right before the Yankees went to puff embroidery) appears to have a flat logo - look at the points. And it's not the print logo, either - with the exception of the inner curve at the bottom of the N's left leg, that's the current cap logo.

6107_01_lg.jpg

So it appears that the answer to your question is "no" - even before the move to New Era puff embroidery, the Yankees had moved away from the 1960s cap logo (from which the current print logo evolved) into what they wear today.

Good news all around.

That's my favorite Astros uniform, evoking a sense of space-age completely absent from the current Olde Weste mess without going overboard into the tequilla sunrise.

This Astros fan agrees with you.

So it appears that the answer to your question is "no" - even before the move to New Era puff embroidery, the Yankees had moved away from the 1960s cap logo (from which the current print logo evolved) into what they wear today.

I went looking for some old photos before replying, but didn't find anything with a great look. These, of course, provide just that. Thanks for clearing it up for me. I have an old pre-puff Yankees cap somewhere, back when I was trying to get one from each team (an early uni obsession). I'd have to say that I wasn't a big fan when the style switched, and seeing these old photos reaffirms that for me. I just wasn't sure how much distortion it creates with the logos, but it appears that it's not so much when seen head-on.

Then again, maybe not.

43633_01_lg.jpg

This 1980s cap (right before the Yankees went to puff embroidery) appears to have a flat logo - look at the points. And it's not the print logo, either - with the exception of the inner curve at the bottom of the N's left leg, that's the current cap logo.

6107_01_lg.jpg

Am I the only one that can't see it?

Anubis.png

I'm really looking forward to seeing the Astros in those throwbacks. They are simple, clean, and look great. By far my favorite uniform the Astros have ever worn.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Not sure if this will show up on the field, but Lids.com just added another Angels batting practice cap to their website:

http://www.lids.com/pid/20198338

So maybe the Angels are using their old design on the road and the new red BP hap design at home this year? The Angels red brim/navy crown hat is always a winner in my book.

The Halos also ignored the last trend of BP hats, so this doesn't surprise me. I also love the navy/red BP cap...I wish it were a primary cap.

Good news all around.

That's my favorite Astros uniform, evoking a sense of space-age completely absent from the current Olde Weste mess without going overboard into the tequilla sunrise.

This Astros fan agrees with you.

I don't know why, but there's something about the cream colored rainbow jerseys that brings back a strong sense of nostalgia from my early days of watching baseball. THOSE unis tend to be my favorite Astros unis. There's nothing like watching Nolan Ryan and his high leg kick fan away batters in that hideous uniform. Just classic!

Go Angels! I'm still ticked I bought the Red Sox 2010 BP cap. Not only haven't the Sox worn them in workouts or exhibition games, but there hasn't even been one of these caps spotted on any Sox player, coach, or organization member.

Then again, maybe not.

43633_01_lg.jpg

6107_01_lg.jpg

can't see what? The differences between the logos?

Then again, maybe not.

43633_01_lg.jpg

6107_01_lg.jpg

can't see what? The differences between the logos?

The second image...

Anubis.png

Watchin the phillies vs pirates exhibition game, I noticed that the pirates bp jerseys have have a problem with the logo

Here is a player with the lower left bat missing, most players have the lower left bat part intact lol

huh? I believe the lower left bat is there. Well I can see it.. unless i'm tripping out as always.

Archived