2010 MLB New Logos, Uniforms, Patches

Brian E

I really REALLY hope it's the Brewers that are gettin' the powder blue jersey. As it's been said a few times in this thread, they're one of the few teams that has a color scheme where powder blue actually makes sense. And judging from what I've seen around the city, I'd say the Brewers have sold MUCH more powder blue merchandise in the past 5 years than any of their current stuff. Add the fact that Mark Anastacio is a very "give the fans what they want" type of owner and I'd say the evidence is very strong.

Also, I need to point out that the Brewers had three different versions of the powder blue roads... two of which said "BREWERS," meaning they could be worn as a home alt while still respecting "tradition." Although I still hope that if I'm right, they bring back the ones that say "MILWAUKEE"... I never thought the traditional rules about baseball uniforms should have to apply to the post-1962 expansion teams.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOVE that shade of orange... but unfortunately, I have to agree with Ballwonk here (and that hurts a little tongue.gif .)

I think of the Giants as BLACK orange, and the Orioles as ORANGE black. I really hope the Marlins can come up with a third color (like whatever blue they're talking about for the seats in their new park) to pair with their orange and black, so that these two teams can stay unique.

Would it help if I tried to come up with something for you to disagree with? :P

(By the way, I think you nailed it with the praise for the shade of orange. You're right that that's what makes the jersey in the photo work: it's absolutely the perfect shade of orange to work with the black letters.)

I see the Giants as a black team, with orange accents. I see the Orioles as a balanced black-and-orange team, with the colors in about equal proportion. Metaphorically, the Giants are an all-black cap with an orange logo. The Orioles are a black cap with an orange bill and a logo that's about half black, half orange. So as much as I hate the idea of the Marlins switching to black and orange, I think there is room for a team that's primarily orange with black highlights -- metaphorically, and all-orange cap with a black logo. Or this alt jersey.

To range a little wide afield, my dream color schemes for the NL East, the division with the most confused team identities, would be:

NYM: Royal and Orange

PHI: Maroon and Powder Blue

WSH: Red and Gold

ATL: Navy and Red

FLA: Teal or Green and some other color, for example Blue and Light Green, or Green and Light Blue

This would involve everyone but the Braves changing or tweaking their uniforms, but I think Florida has the best chance to be kind of bold, since Miami has a well-known, colorful aesthetic that's unique among U.S. cities. It's a team where a pastel would work, or where two bright colors can work together, and getting the Marlins right could be the key to making the NL East a really attractive division. Alas, Jeff Loria is involved, so the Marlins will not be dazzling us with their awesome new uniforms in a couple of years.

20082614447.png

They are selling these at the Giants' Dugout store at AT&T Park

8217_140491841031_693636031_2781656_7529942_n.jpg

ladies and gentlemen, we have our first leak (it's very close, at least).

wow i'm very surprised. i actually know exactly what you guys mean about the giants being a black first, orange second team, but i always thought the old '80's alternates with the giants script font was pretty cool. so i'm kind of on board with this if it does happen. i have to believe if they do unveil this, they'll announce a cap that echoes their updated BP hat for '09 with the usual orange SF on black with an orange brim. i actually think that might be a good look.

sig2024.png

To range a little wide afield, my dream color schemes for the NL East, the division with the most confused team identities, would be:

FLA: Teal or Green and some other color, for example Blue and Light Green, or Green and Light Blue

This would involve everyone but the Braves changing or tweaking their uniforms, but I think Florida has the best chance to be kind of bold, since Miami has a well-known, colorful aesthetic that's unique among U.S. cities. It's a team where a pastel would work, or where two bright colors can work together, and getting the Marlins right could be the key to making the NL East a really attractive division. Alas, Jeff Loria is involved, so the Marlins will not be dazzling us with their awesome new uniforms in a couple of years.

Interesting. I mostly agree, but I think the Nationals always should've used navy as their base color, with red trim and gold beveling. The DC insignia always looked best on navy, in my opinion. And now that they're playing near the Navy Yard, what better time to wear it. I always felt like navy was the intended color in the design (remember when the main site listed that navy Nationals script along with the red one?), but then after the powers that be rammed the Curly W down our throats, they had to make everything primarily red, at least at home. I agree with everything else, especially the Phillies, because I hate their current uniforms and think they look pink. Going back to maroon would be so much better. Nobody else wears it. It'd be all their own.

A light green, maybe a sea foam green, seems enticing, maybe paired with light blue or even Buccaneers creamsicle orange. I think the old Miami Marlins wore blue and orange, but that's what the Mets wear, and all this would do is confuse elderly New York transplants. Funny that under Mr. Art Dealer, the Marlins have had some of the league's ugliest logos on some of the league's ugliest uniforms while playing in the league's ugliest stadium. I'm bracing myself for terrible uniforms when the time comes.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Interesting. I mostly agree, but I think the Nationals always should've used navy as their base color, with red trim and gold beveling. The DC insignia always looked best on navy, in my opinion. And now that they're playing near the Navy Yard, what better time to wear it. I always felt like navy was the intended color in the design ...

I agree absolutely. Blue and gold are the federal colors, and ought to be the team colors of the Nationals, with little or no red at all. However, current ownership really wants the Nats to be a primarily red team. So my thinking is that if they're going to be a red team, then they should dial the blue way the heck down to a very minor color used only for accents and adopt a red-and-gold scheme. Turn the gold up to about the level of the gold in the Brewers unis, or the silver in the Rockies. It'd be a unique color scheme, it'd fit well with a local sports culture dominated by burgundy and gold, and it would help focus a team whose visual identity right now is the least consistent in baseball.

20082614447.png

I noticed you didn't respond to the cream Mets prediction. A good sign I hope...

I can't say too much, but the first two uniforms in Brian E's signature are quite accurate. As is dahatman's request/prediction.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

I can't say too much, but the first two uniforms in Brian E's signature are quite accurate.

Are the Mets actually making any changes? It sounds like you're saying they're keeping their current pinstripe home uniform and road gray uniform. I'd love for them to simplify their wildly overcomplicated uniform set and ditch the black completely (like just about everyone else in the universe).

Any changes for the Angels? I thought they might go with a 50th season patch but now I think it's more likely they'll do an All-Star Game patch next season and a 50th anniversary patch in 2011.

I noticed you didn't respond to the cream Mets prediction. A good sign I hope...

I can't say too much, but the first two uniforms in Brian E's signature are quite accurate. As is dahatman's request/prediction.

will the mets use blue on the road again? blue hats, socks, belts?

also i love the giants jersey, i hope it becomes an official uni next season.

i also hate the new silk-scren letters used on the unis though ... looks really bad compared to the old ones.

Mets, Jets, Islanders

Well by quite accurate, I'm going to base this on zero evidence and just guess that he means they'll be going with the home pinstripes not in white but in cream (to look like the '69 throwbacks a bit) and the pre-black dropshadow road grays, meaning blue hats, blue undershirts, and blue socks on the road, also known as AWESOME.

Since they're not dumping the black I hope it means they keep it confined to just the black alternate and nothing more.

But I'll just have to wait and see I guess.

This is so nice though:

1396700.jpg

That's Dave Mlicki in June of 1997. Since 1998, I only recall their final game at Old Yankee Stadium as wearing all blue accessories on the road. (Not that they have or haven't, but I can't recall another instance).

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Well by quite accurate, I'm going to base this on zero evidence and just guess that he means they'll be going with the home pinstripes not in white but in cream (to look like the '69 throwbacks a bit) and the pre-black dropshadow road grays, meaning blue hats, blue undershirts, and blue socks on the road, also known as AWESOME.

Going with blue hats, undershirts, and socks on the road (without any drop shadow) would be incredible. They'd actually look like the Mets again.

And if they're going to keep the black as an alternate, why not just use the old NY Giants solid black hat with orange logo? The blue, white, and orange Mets logo on their current black hat is a convoluated mess? If they use the old NY Giants hat, they tie into decades of history (which they do anyway) and they have a classy alternate hat that gives them their precious black look. Yes, their alternate hat would look almost exactly like San Francisco's primary but would anyone really care?

Going with blue hats, undershirts, and socks on the road (without any drop shadow) would be incredible. They'd actually look like the Mets again.

And if they're going to keep the black as an alternate, why not just use the old NY Giants solid black hat with orange logo? The blue, white, and orange Mets logo on their current black hat is a convoluated mess? If they use the old NY Giants hat, they tie into decades of history (which they do anyway) and they have a classy alternate hat that gives them their precious black look. Yes, their alternate hat would look almost exactly like San Francisco's primary but would anyone really care?

I'd rather see them just wear the black alternate cap with the blue bill with the black jerseys like they did when they first introduced them. That always looked better to me even though I'm no fan of the black in general.

mets.png

Interesting. I mostly agree, but I think the Nationals always should've used navy as their base color, with red trim and gold beveling. The DC insignia always looked best on navy, in my opinion. And now that they're playing near the Navy Yard, what better time to wear it. I always felt like navy was the intended color in the design (remember when the main site listed that navy Nationals script along with the red one?), but then after the powers that be rammed the Curly W down our throats, they had to make everything primarily red, at least at home. I agree with everything else, especially the Phillies, because I hate their current uniforms and think they look pink. Going back to maroon would be so much better. Nobody else wears it. It'd be all their own.

A light green, maybe a sea foam green, seems enticing, maybe paired with light blue or even Buccaneers creamsicle orange. I think the old Miami Marlins wore blue and orange, but that's what the Mets wear, and all this would do is confuse elderly New York transplants. Funny that under Mr. Art Dealer, the Marlins have had some of the league's ugliest logos on some of the league's ugliest uniforms while playing in the league's ugliest stadium. I'm bracing myself for terrible uniforms when the time comes.

I'm probably the only one who likes this idea, but I always thought it would be cool if they did Red for when the Reps are in office and Blue when the Dems are in office. I also think they use an upside down Expos M for their primary... The current one looks too much like Walgreens.

Red state/blue state is one of the worst things to happen to American political discourse and I'd prefer that it stayed out of baseball, thanks.

Up to 2000, the tradition on TV was for blue to represent the incumbent party, red the challengers. So in 1980, Ronald Reagan's first victory was heralded with a mostly red Electoral College map, but his landslide reelection in 1984 turned the map blue. I desperately wish we could go back to that tradition.

But for the Nats, if the team were to take seriously the idea of red at home, blue on the road, then I think it would have been a grand tradition to alternate the color scheme based on the president's party. So red at home, blue on the road from 2005 to 2008, then reversed to blue at home, red on the road from 2009 to 2012, and so forth. It could have been a fun tradition; the team wouldn't have had to say anything about it, but local fans would have known what's what and pretty much the rest of the country would neither have noticed or cared. And it wouldn't matter whether the rest of the country sticks with the terrible red-state/blue-state dialectic, since the Nats would always be wearing both red and blue. It's the kind of tradition on which great locally popular teams are built. Alas, the Nats have no idea what their colors mean, or even what the team's colors are, except for a vague sense that they're primarily a red team, except for those blue road caps they have to use up and the blue clown jerseys they added this year to celebrate patriotic holidays by being extraordinarily ugly and violating the U.S. Flag Code.

So on the whole, I'd settle for the Nats just picking red and sticking with it all the time; creating subtle color-use traditions clearly requires way too much intelligence and taste for the Nats to pull off.

20082614447.png

The Toronto Blue Jays will change their jerseys for next season. They may also be changing the logo. I haven't heard what the change will be, but the retro stuff is outselling the new stuff by over 2 to 1, so it wouldn't surprise me to see a return of the older stuff.

1zqy8ok.gif

Archived