2010 MLB New Logos, Uniforms, Patches

Brian E

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who here agrees with me that:

1. The names should be navy blue with white trim, instead of the other way around?

2. They should pair the jerseys with light blue pants and make that the road uniform?

1. I think I might like it better if they made the numbers white with blue trim to match the names.

2. Yes, this idea intrigues me. All the gray road uniforms in baseball are boring as hell.

Agreed. 28 of 30 road jerseys are solid gray, it is boring. I think the Rays could pull it off, but there are other teams I think should do it more- Jays powder blue for starters.

The A's and Angels both wore their colored unis yesterday:

Screenshot2010-04-12at015551AM.png

The Nats are now using red undershirts and socks with their road unis (which I don't particularly like):

f6052828-e73e-43f5-8266-e681d24a0e1.jpg096db5cbe0194c8f400bc31b38e8d717-ge.jpg

And the Rangers wore all three of their home unis against the Mariners this weekend:

Screenshot2010-04-12at020342AM.pngScreenshot2010-04-12at020404AM.pngScreenshot2010-04-12at020426AM.png

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

Also, the Royals have debuted their new light blue caps to go with their light blue unis (although they almost look teal now):

d97d0734872d05e22a84527f0a68be49-ge.jpgb0f3b8e8-d8cd-4072-b281-255f05c651e.jpg1386a41d-5026-4c7d-8a92-aa0d51fb04c.jpg20afc4e3-b707-41b1-aebb-9594943a8f3.jpg

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

Rays look good in the new uniform i think.

rays3-1.jpg

rays2-1.jpg

rays1.jpg

So the Rays want to be the Royals now, eh? Niiicceee... (And I'm quoting this underneath the Royals post above just to point that out.)

On another note...I still ain't figured out what kind of Rays they're supposed to be. Are they Rays of light, Rays of sunshine...or are they sea creatures? Was the ambiguity intentional? Is the giant fish tank still in the Trop? It appears they've even left the sea creature patch off these alts here. I really wish they'd have just left well enough alone, which their previous identity was. (I have my own conspiracy theory/opinon on why the Rays even revamped their name/identity to begin with...but I'll keep that to myself.)

This kind of stuff makes me pine for the '90s again...even if some pro sports identities were a bit gaudy then, at least they were unique.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

A. Target Field is sexy. I now have an excuse to go visit my mom's side of the family in Minneapolis. I freaking love the porch in right field that hangs over the field.

B. these Twins cream uniforms are sexy minus the flawed wordmark.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I really wish they'd have just left well enough alone, which their previous identity was. (I have my own conspiracy theory/opinon on why the Rays even revamped their name/identity to begin with...but I'll keep that to myself.)

Is it that the evangelical Christians prevalent in north/central Florida were making a big stink about "Devil" being in the name and lobbying for something that better met their sensibilities like "a ray of sunshine"? That's not a conspiracy theory. That's kinda what happened.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On another note...I still ain't figured out what kind of Rays they're supposed to be. Are they Rays of light, Rays of sunshine...or are they sea creatures? Was the ambiguity intentional? Is the giant fish tank still in the Trop? It appears they've even left the sea creature patch off these alts here. I really wish they'd have just left well enough alone, which their previous identity was. (I have my own conspiracy theory/opinon on why the Rays even revamped their name/identity to begin with...but I'll keep that to myself.)

This kind of stuff makes me pine for the '90s again...even if some pro sports identities were a bit gaudy then, at least they were unique.

From what I see, it's both. Here's the sun ray logo, and a manta ray.

45f4kshiuwxivsfbzee2xnwtd.gif9ripms.png

Also, the Ray touch tank is still out in right center.

I agree that the Twins throwbacks look great despite the bad wordmark. As I said in a previous thread, they should have went with the new wordmark in navy outlined in red, then went with navy outlined in red for the names and numbers on both the home and road jerseys. That would eliminate the need for the throwback (as if there was a NEED to begin with).

I think it was a very poor choice by the Twins to start the new era in their new park with a newly redesigned logo package by wearing throwbacks. No alts should be worn on opening day.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Yes, the Tampa Bay Rays are named after the solar radiation and the cartilaginous fish. Which is why, though I like elements of it, it's a bad identity. Pick one, and stick with it.

I really wish they'd have just left well enough alone, which their previous identity was. (I have my own conspiracy theory/opinon on why the Rays even revamped their name/identity to begin with...but I'll keep that to myself.)

Is it that the evangelical Christians prevalent in north/central Florida were making a big stink about "Devil" being in the name and lobbying for something that better met their sensibilities like "a ray of sunshine"? That's not a conspiracy theory. That's kinda what happened.

True enough - management said as much when they made the change. Don't know if it was outside groups actually making a stink or the team's management projecting, but wanting to be "Devil"-free was a stated goal of the rebranding.

Which, of course, led to this: Tampa Bay Devil Rays Change Name, Uniform, Sport

Yes, the Tampa Bay Rays are named after the solar radiation and the cartilaginous fish. Which is why, though I like elements of it, it's a bad identity. Pick one, and stick with it.

True enough - management said as much when they made the change. Don't know if it was outside groups actually making a stink or the team's management projecting, but wanting to be "Devil"-free was a stated goal of the rebranding.

I always thought they made it ambiguous on purpose - rather than be associated with a mascot, create a unique brand. Baseball has tons of strange mascot choices, but they work because people hear the name and think of the team, not the mascot. Devil Rays (stingrays in general) was probably too easily thought of as a fish rather than a baseball team.

I always thought that "Devil Rays" was a bit amateur or minor league-ish. It seems that the more specific the name/mascot is, the more it tends to be a weak identity.

And the previous team identity wasn't bad, but it seemed pointless to call themselves the "Devil Rays" (regardless of the cries of those who opposed to the "Devil" in the name) because the entire graphical identity of the team had no reference to the word "Devil" at all. The home uniforms said "Rays," so while it did bring a new attitude to the team (which I think helped, but not completely caused, them to move from also-playeds to contenders), a rebrand wasn't completely necessary.

2006-12-05-baldelli-med.jpg

I do like a lot of elements about the new identity. For one, on a personal level, I love the combination of the blues and yellow. Blue is my favorite color, and I hate green, so this definitely did a lot in terms of me finding merchandise that I could wear. (Before, I only wore stuff in black, which was more difficult to find than the green)

I do, however, wish they could have gone in a different direction with the colors. Blue is such an overused color in the majors. I was really hoping that they would adopt the identity of the Senior League St. Pete Pelicans.

2604866953_67c885b494_o.jpg

I realize that they probably would have gone with calling themselves the "Tampa Bay Pelicans," but it really was a gorgeous uniform and color set. The colors were unique, too, which is one thing they really could use with the current identity.

Hopefully, however, the current uniforms/logos will stay around for a while. They have only been around as a team for a little over a decade, yet have had four different home uniforms (the original 1998-2000 set, the 2001-2004 white jersey/black cap set, the 2005-2007 white vest/green undershirt/cap set, and the 2008-present set). The worst thing a team can do is over-rebrand. I wouldn't mind seeing them switch the light blue (it's not quite light enough to be powder blue) to an away set, though.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

Actually...I was going to take it a step or two further than Ad did...but again, let's keep this train on the track. ^_^

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

No, I'm curious as to how far you thought it went. My other suspicion with the change to a spartan blue and white was another case of New Yorkers pretending they own the Brooklyn Dodgers.

I'd tolerate the terribly white-bread identity if they stuck to dark green as a team color, like so:

raysmain.jpg

topic change:

I know the old script looks terrible on our monitors, but these Twins uniforms look really awesome. Funny how that works.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So the Rays want to be the Royals now, eh? Niiicceee... (And I'm quoting this underneath the Royals post above just to point that out.)

Oh common...you have to tell us now! For real, I want to know! And love the new look. I was really disappointed with the navy one last year. This one is awesome though.

Anubis.png

Matito, I agree wholeheartedly. The Pelicans look was amazing. It even reflects the colors of the Florida flag, which is nice. Don't know that they would dare wear pinstripes full time, but it is a great overall look. Wish I could get my hands on one of those hats.

Archived