2010 MLB New Logos, Uniforms, Patches

Brian E

Well the Giants are black with orange, while the Orioles are orange with black, so orange alts make sense for Baltimore, while black alts make sense for the Giants.

That being said, I really like that dull shade of orange that the Giants alts appear to be in. It's not bright Flyers orange, more of a muted muddy orange (for lack of a good descriptor.)

I don't think the Giants need that alt cap at all, but I think it looks OK with the road jersey. Wouldn't wear it with the orange - too much orange. That being said, they don't need two caps - nobody does. Embrace your blackness. Be proud of your blackness.

Thats the white girl motto in South Jersey these days

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Giants wore the new orange alts today, yet didn't wear the alt caps. I really wonder what the thought process is on using that orange billed cap. So far it's been worn twice, one home when Lincecum was pitching, once on the road vs LA when Zito was pitching, then the orange alts came out today while Lincecum was pitching too. SanFranciscoGiantsvLosAngelesDodger.jpg

Orange jerseys are to be worn every Friday at home. Orange billed hats are to be worn every Sunday. That's the thought process.

Now if we can get more guys on the team to show the sock stripes like Zito does.

Giants wore the new orange alts today, yet didn't wear the alt caps. I really wonder what the thought process is on using that orange billed cap. So far it's been worn twice, one home when Lincecum was pitching, once on the road vs LA when Zito was pitching, then the orange alts came out today while Lincecum was pitching too. SanFranciscoGiantsvLosAngelesDodger.jpg

Orange jerseys are to be worn every Friday at home. Orange billed hats are to be worn every Sunday. That's the thought process.

Now if we can get more guys on the team to show the sock stripes like Zito does.

I actually think the orange brimmed cap adds a nice dimension to the gray roads. I wouldn't mind these being the full time road cap.

However, the orange jersey with the plain black cap is weak. Either commit to it or don't. I understand BringBacktheVet's point about the Orioles being orange-first while the Giants are black-first. And I agree with it. I still think an orange Giants alternate can work, but I don't think it worked Friday night.

sig2024.png

I actually think the orange brimmed cap adds a nice dimension to the gray roads. I wouldn't mind these being the full time road cap.

However, the orange jersey with the plain black cap is weak. Either commit to it or don't. I understand BringBacktheVet's point about the Orioles being orange-first while the Giants are black-first. And I agree with it. I still think an orange Giants alternate can work, but I don't think it worked Friday night.

I don't know if anybody agrees with me, but I think a two tone cap should never have the brim match the jersey color. In this instance, I think the cap should either be solid black, solid orange or orange with a black brim (and I don't think the latter two would look good for the Giants).

As for these jerseys, they just don't work for the Giants. The Giants had a perfectly fine black alternate jersey a few years ago which they decided to ditch. I thought that jersey would have been even better with orange numbers and a gold/cream outline, but that is besides the point. I agree that orange as a primary is the Orioles' look, and they should be using it instead of black jerseys. The Giants have a very traditional look, including the cream colored home unis. Adding a garish orange jersey not only doesn't go with their scheme, it looks bad with the cream colored home pants. It would be like if a football team matched a jersey with piping and colored side panels with traditional 3 stripe pants.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Well the Giants are black with orange, while the Orioles are orange with black, so orange alts make sense for Baltimore, while black alts make sense for the Giants.

That being said, I really like that dull shade of orange that the Giants alts appear to be in. It's not bright Flyers orange, more of a muted muddy orange (for lack of a good descriptor.)

I don't think the Giants need that alt cap at all, but I think it looks OK with the road jersey. Wouldn't wear it with the orange - too much orange. That being said, they don't need two caps - nobody does. Embrace your blackness. Be proud of your blackness.

james_brown_im_black_and_im_proud.jpg

If black and orange was good enough for The Godfather of Soul, it's good enough for a couple of baseball teams.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Colorado has pinstriped grey. Houston doesn't wear grey jerseys unless held at gunpoint. He must mean one of those two.

I'm fine with grey across the board, incidentally. San Diego's pee-pee suits have to go far, far, away.

Probably Colorado, as it said "solid" grey. And I agree with you...It's a baseball tradition I like...white vs. grey. I wish every team wore them more often than not and made the alternates truly alternate.

Except that it's not that much of a tradition; teams have had lots of different types of road uniforms over the past 100+ years. The old Dressed to the Nines website showed off a ton of them.

I LOVE the Padres sand uniforms because at least they're doing something different. The Blue Jays 2004 graphite road uniforms that were nixed at the very last minute were awesome too. Powder blue could definitely still work somewhere, and someone really needs to try slate blue for a road uniform. And I know I'll catch hell for it, but I think there are teams that could pull off an all-navy or all-black road alternate so long as they don't wear it in the summer months.

Is this the only known photo of the Graphite Uniform?

1126853891_7d99eae6d8_o.jpg

Were there ever any shots of anyone wearing it?

Anubis.png

Rays look good in the new uniform i think.

rays3-1.jpg

rays2-1.jpg

rays1.jpg

So the Rays want to be the Royals now, eh? Niiicceee... (And I'm quoting this underneath the Royals post above just to point that out.)

On another note...I still ain't figured out what kind of Rays they're supposed to be. Are they Rays of light, Rays of sunshine...or are they sea creatures? Was the ambiguity intentional? Is the giant fish tank still in the Trop? It appears they've even left the sea creature patch off these alts here. I really wish they'd have just left well enough alone, which their previous identity was. (I have my own conspiracy theory/opinon on why the Rays even revamped their name/identity to begin with...but I'll keep that to myself.)

This kind of stuff makes me pine for the '90s again...even if some pro sports identities were a bit gaudy then, at least they were unique.

I have read into this over and over. And their name has nothing to do with the animal anymore. Sternberg clearly said the name means a ray of sunshine that radiates throughout the state of Florida. I am unsure of the reason for the animal still there, other than to pay homage to the past, which in my mind they have trampled over anyways.

It is the worst logo/uniform/team name in all major sports. It's just pathetic. A ray of sunshine?! Such a half assed attempt at a new identity, they should have gone with a whole new name instead.

The uniforms are horrible, and everything about their logo/uni set is.

2ly2w09.jpg

Colorado has pinstriped grey. Houston doesn't wear grey jerseys unless held at gunpoint. He must mean one of those two.

I'm fine with grey across the board, incidentally. San Diego's pee-pee suits have to go far, far, away.

Probably Colorado, as it said "solid" grey. And I agree with you...It's a baseball tradition I like...white vs. grey. I wish every team wore them more often than not and made the alternates truly alternate.

Except that it's not that much of a tradition; teams have had lots of different types of road uniforms over the past 100+ years. The old Dressed to the Nines website showed off a ton of them.

I LOVE the Padres sand uniforms because at least they're doing something different. The Blue Jays 2004 graphite road uniforms that were nixed at the very last minute were awesome too. Powder blue could definitely still work somewhere, and someone really needs to try slate blue for a road uniform. And I know I'll catch hell for it, but I think there are teams that could pull off an all-navy or all-black road alternate so long as they don't wear it in the summer months.

Is this the only known photo of the Graphite Uniform?

1126853891_7d99eae6d8_o.jpg

Were there ever any shots of anyone wearing it?

I know that they had an unveiling of it, and at said unveiling, there were shots of it from the gift shop, as well as (possibly) it being worn by Trish Stratus. Those pics may be somewhere deep in the archives here - I believe the unveiling was late August or September 2003.

Short of that turning up, I own an authentic Halladay graphite jersey, if you'd like a shot of that.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

That graphite road uniform looks really nice. I just don't really think black is a color that should be associated with the Blue Jays (or the White Sox, for that matter.)

No, it shouldn't be associated with the Blue Jays, but why not the White Sox? This is the most established identity they've ever had (though not necessarily the best; the whites and greys are fine but the black jerseys have run their course and now feel too '90s Fox Sports Baseball With Attitude for me). Which colors should be associated with them, then?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I know that they had an unveiling of it, and at said unveiling, there were shots of it from the gift shop, as well as (possibly) it being worn by Trish Stratus. Those pics may be somewhere deep in the archives here - I believe the unveiling was late August or September 2003.

Short of that turning up, I own an authentic Halladay graphite jersey, if you'd like a shot of that.

HELL. YES.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few shots of that, actually.

That graphite road uniform looks really nice. I just don't really think black is a color that should be associated with the Blue Jays (or the White Sox, for that matter.)

No, it shouldn't be associated with the Blue Jays, but why not the White Sox? This is the most established identity they've ever had (though not necessarily the best; the whites and greys are fine but the black jerseys have run their course and now feel too '90s Fox Sports Baseball With Attitude for me). Which colors should be associated with them, then?

I don't know specifically, it just seems odd to me that a team called the WHITE Sox would be wearing predominately black uniforms. Maybe they should officially be renamed to the Black Sox.

I don't know specifically, it just seems odd to me that a team called the WHITE Sox would be wearing predominately black uniforms. Maybe they should officially be renamed to the Black Sox.

:blink: Google: 1919 Black Sox Scandal.

Come on now, guys... you know you can't have a discussion about the Jays Graphite Prototypes without me!

That photo was taken by me in my bedroom, for a blurb on one of Paul Lukas' columns.

Here's the link.

And here's an image from the day of the reveal, showing the Graphite jersey.

833540612_33a15712f0.jpg

We all know my opinion about the Graphite jerseys.

They're unique, and it would look great as a road alternate... although a Graphite version of their current road uniforms would look even better.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

I agree 1000%. However, much like the average fans who will automatically love modern designs, you still get a big portion of the fanbase who prefers they wear them every game as opposed to classic looking uniforms. "Black is kewl! They are intimidating!!1!"

This year, the Sox have played 20 games. They have worn the white jerseys 3 times, the grays 3 times, and 14 times they looked like a softball team. The black jerseys were nice when worn one a week in the early 90's, but their flaws are glaring when overexposed. I think all teams need rules limiting use of alternates, but especially the White Sox. The worse part is, the gray outlines on many of the letters are sloppy and don't fit the shape of the letter.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Or they could just wear white socks with black stripes on them, which would allow them to maintain their color scheme while living up to their name, unless they feel that "Sox" does not mean "socks" and instead refers to some abstract concept wholly unrelated to hosiery.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with the "White Sox are fine" camp. This is a team that has a worse track record when it comes to their identity then the Vancouver Canucks, so it's nice to see that they've settled on a classic identity for the past nineteen years. They look great (even the blacks are ok, they just need to be worn sparingly), and the team is finally committed to one look. Plus, they've won a World Series title in the current look, their first in 80+ years. That automatically cements the look, in my opinion.

Unless they changed their system, the Sox don't arbitrarily decide when to wear black. They keep wearing a jersey they win in... so root for a long streak when they are wearing white or gray and those numbers should even out. (Of course, now that black is the only alt option it will show up more frequently since it is the only jersey available at home and on the road.)

Unless they changed their system, the Sox don't arbitrarily decide when to wear black. They keep wearing a jersey they win in... so root for a long streak when they are wearing white or gray and those numbers should even out. (Of course, now that black is the only alt option it will show up more frequently since it is the only jersey available at home and on the road.)

That is not fully true. If they lose once in the white or gray jerseys, they go to black the next game. However, they regularly wear black jerseys for 2 or 3 losses in a row. The pitchers get choice of which jersey color to wear. Mark Buerhle is like Zambrano in that he wears the alternate jersey almost every time. Many times Buehrle interrupted a white/gray winstreak (usually gray) to wear the black jersey. Players should have no input over jersey choice. Wear them Sundays at home, Fridays or Saturdays on the road, and nothing in between.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with the "White Sox are fine" camp. This is a team that has a worse track record when it comes to their identity then the Vancouver Canucks, so it's nice to see that they've settled on a classic identity for the past nineteen years. They look great (even the blacks are ok, they just need to be worn sparingly), and the team is finally committed to one look.

If only they had actual white socks, I'd agree with you. But that's a glaring problem for me within an otherwise very solid uniform.

Archived