Johnstown Chiefs

chickenfish13

OK, so here is the concept I was talking about. I've worked on this for a long time, and I think there is something missing. I was scanning through team logos, and I really don't like what the Johnstown Chiefs have going on. Their official colors are yellow, white, and black, but they have red and grey going on in their logos. I took red and grey out in my concept. The primary is based off an aboriginal chief. It is somewhat similar to sigma kappa's blackhawks concept, but I just kept that in my mind while designing, I didn't copy his. I think the thing that needs the most work is the hair, but I can't put my finger on what is wrong with it. The secondary is just an updated arrowhead, with a kind of highlight/beveling thing, which is to match what is going on in the tertiary, and the wordmark. The tertiary and wordmark were made to match the rough, jagged edges of the secondary. I am fairly pleased with my work here, but I know there will be things off, so be as harsh as possible, so I can improve this concept. B)

Thanks for viewing, and C and C.

johnstownchiefspri.png

johnstownchiefssecs.png

johnstownchiefsword.png

really liking it for a start...just a couple things to add:

-Not really a fan of having a "JC" when the second letter stands for the team name. IMO that only works if it stands for "City" or like colleges use when it actually stands for "College". Just never liked using the nickname for this treatment.

-The indian head looks off. I think its just how you shaded it, just doesnt look natural. I there was a logo i saw on here which had great shading you should emulate. I beleive it was for a team called the Tribe(?), by Fraser for an aussie rules team.

-I do love the feathers though, perhaps create a "J" logo using the feathers to balance the top of the logo.

-Also had an idea to help the wordmark flow better. It looks great now, but Id be curious to see what itd look like if the tail of the "S" straighted out at the bottom to fit under the "F", without making it look like an "E".

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Is there a reason why the arrowhead is pointing in the direction it is? Why not have it going forward or straight down or straight up?

I really dig the idea for the primary. For the most part it looks very good. (I love the placement of the feathers.) The face looks a bit odd, though. Are you trying to go for something very realistic looking or something that looks simple (and somewhat like a comic book character)? Right now, it looks like you're in between the two. I think once you decided to go fully one direction or the other, that will allow you to better add or subtract detail accordingly.

Overall, I like it. Keep working :)

No, that was chestnutz...... and it wasn't related to my design at all, or I didn't try it to be.

Thanks for the c and c guys.

Ted, the arrowhead is pointing that way because that's how it's pointing in their current primary, and I wanted to just update it, and have it as a secondary. I will try to go with something more realistic than comical in the next update.

nyy3351, I will look to see if I can find that logo by Fraser, and try to work off of it, but not copy it. Again thanks for all the c and c, and I will work on an update.

This is just like all the rest of your concepts the past two months: too bland.

Is there any chance you can spend more time on one concept and work on that instead of pumping out concepts? you seem to be in a rush to do so and your work is suffering because of it. Granted, I don't use inkscape, but is that the amount of detail you can get out of the program? You just have these ideas that you don't flesh out, just make one alteration and call it a day.

You had me a few weeks back with the Manatee look, but, nothing. You've moved onto the Chiefs and I think it's a total downgrade from their current look.

So, could you please just stick to one thing and flesh out more ideas with it?

This is just like all the rest of your concepts the past two months: too bland.

Is there any chance you can spend more time on one concept and work on that instead of pumping out concepts? you seem to be in a rush to do so and your work is suffering because of it. Granted, I don't use inkscape, but is that the amount of detail you can get out of the program? You just have these ideas that you don't flesh out, just make one alteration and call it a day.

You had me a few weeks back with the Manatee look, but, nothing. You've moved onto the Chiefs and I think it's a total downgrade from their current look.

So, could you please just stick to one thing and flesh out more ideas with it?

Honestly, you've never had anything positive to say about my work. I realize you are trying to help, but I honestly don't think I've ever gotten a piece of positivity about my work from you. I realize that is probably because you just don't like them, which I'm fine with. If you had read my post in the NCAA project, or even the first post of this thread, you would've noticed that I am kinda slowing things down. I have been working on the Manatees, and I actually finished it, and the only reason I didn't post it was because I felt no need to, as it was for someone else on here. If you really want to see it, I can send it to you, and you can give me c and c or something. Also, I don't just make one altercation, and close down the thread, I usually update concepts up to 2-3 times, except for in the NCAA project, as I explained. I'm not trying to be a jerk, and I know you aren't either. So sorry if this offends you or something, but I'm just speaking my mind. B)

As nyy3351 and Ted mentioned, there is something with the face that's a little off. To me, it's in the facial features. It might be the lack of definition in the nose.... it just feels a bit sparse. like something's missing.

The other thing that I'd suggest is softening the sharp edges on the arrowhead. The edges/corners in the primary logo are generally soft, and having similar edges in the secondary would add some consistency within your set (IMHO, anyway). The "T" shape at the base of arrowhead is fine, it's the main triangle I'm referring to. The KC Chiefs logo would be an easy source of inspiration... and there's a couple below as well.

Nice work so far... I'm looking forward to your next update.

119028206_d2c0ac884f.jpg

arrowhead10.jpg

OK, here is an update. I tried what Ny3351 suggested with the wordmark, but I couldn't combine them without looking like an E, so I just left it for now.

- Changed the look of the features on the face- I think I'm getting there, but still need some help.

- Rounded the arrowhead, and got rid of the symmetry, as arrowheads aren't symmetrical.

- Update the JC (kept it, because I like it) and gave it the feathers.

jcchiefsup1pri.png

jcchiefsup1sec.png

The face needs work honestly. The shadows just don't look real, or how they would fall on a face. I'd suggest really looking at faces, and just figuring out how you want to shade the face. Also be sure that your light source is consistent.

Here's a couple of good pictures of Native Americans with the same sort of half silhouette face thing going on.

http://www.smileyme.com/images/indian_chief_headdress_war_bonnet.gif

http://www.old-picture.com/indians/pictures/Indian-Brave.jpg

http://www.old-picture.com/indians/pictures/Crow-Indian.jpg

http://www.old-picture.com/indians/pictures/Handsome-Indian.jpg

The shadowing on the indian's face is too smooth and rounded, also his hair looks too puffy. Maybe tighten it closer to his head? Right now the arrowhead looks like a clipart image as it's smooth and not jagged like a real arrowhead. Overall, the logos are too soft for my taste, a little "whimsy?" for a team with the name Chiefs. But it's a bit better from the first attempt. Keep at it!

LosAngelesLakers.pngLosAngelesDodgers.pngSanDiegoChargers.png

thanks to crkraider22

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I said I would stick with this, and I have. I haven't had much time, so the face isn't completely overhauled, but I'm working on it. Also, I have Spammy working with me, so hopefully we can evolve this into something that works. C and C please.

johnstownchiefsupdate.png

Okay with regards the face, take a look at the feathers in his hair and then look at the features of the face. The feathers are clean, bold and precise, the features are not. The eye on the left (his right) is tiny yet the shadow on the other side is huge, the two should match pretty closely if not exactly. The shadow on the right makes no indication of where the brow line is, the eye socket just drifts off up into the forehead, the top of the eye socket indicates the start the nose.

With the way things stand right now the shading down the nose does not follow how a real shadow would fall, so when combined with the vague start point one side of his face looks out of proportion to the other. Even with a face lit directly from one side you will still get a small highlight on the opposite cheek bone at the bottom of the eye socket and you'll get some slight highlight on the corner of the mouth as well.

You seem to trying to add tiny little lines and creases to the face in the hope this will fix it, all of which I would say are too small and too fine to reproduce properly when reduced down in size so are not helpful in the slightest and dont match the style of the feathers.

What needs to be done here is serious clean up. Right now it looks like the feathers and the face were done by two different people, and they look like they dont belong together, you need to be as bold and clean with the lines and shapes within the features as you have been with the feathers if you want this to work. I'd also look at adding white highlights (or possibly war paint lines) to the face as right now the white only appears in the feathers and that only further accentuates how different the two parts of the logo are.

Faces are incredibly difficult to pull off there's no two ways about it, people often lack confidence in trying them, I only ever use them as a last resort as the slightest mistake can make them look terribly wrong, and I think that' confidence is the biggest issue here. You felt confident and in control while doing the feathers and it shows but with the face that same confidence wasn't there and it really shows.

I'd recommend taking this off the computer, print what you have just now and work over it with a trace pad and pencil, refining and re-refining it until you feel you have it right, then go back onto the computer and redraw it from a scan of your new sketch then bring in the feathers from the original file and I think you'll find you get a much quicker and more impressive progression than chipping away at it on a computer screen.

Be bold, you can do it!

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Archived