2009/10 OHL Uniforms

CC97

I was knocked off my feet when I saw those jerseys Kingston wore.

That's a move the ECHL or the AHL teams struggling to make a buck would make, not a CHL team.

I love the OHL and this was just an embarrassment, especially after Kitchener busted out this awesome jersey to be a "war memorial" jersey.

On that note, how is Don Cherry related to war memorial occasions? Did he ever fight in a war? I don't think so (I'm not being sarcastic, I don't know)

The jerseys are (I believe)a salute to Don, who is a native of Kingston.

It was Don Cherry military appreciation night. (Notice the poppy on the jersey as well).Kingston is a military town, so it would make sense. I watched a bit of the game on local TV since Mississauga, where Cherry apparently lives, was playing. LOL at the KKK :lol:

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kitchener's jerseys are....Kitchener's jerseys. Save for the brief Yo Samity Sam/sheriff years they've been pretty consistent identity wise. Even then the actual jerseys didn't change, just the logos.

I like the Yosemite Sam logo because it's their own. Lazily ripping off the New York Rangers' logo, which isn't even that good in the first place, seems below a top-level major-junior team. I know they did it for a long time, and there's a long precedent for ganking Original Six logos (how many Spoked B variations are out there?), but it's 2009. You can do a lot with Rangers. Try harder.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Granted you can do a lot with "Rangers" but the cartoon sheriff isn't the right direction, IMO. I'm not even sure law enforcement ever really had the nickname "Rangers" in Canada like they did in the States. And it's just to cartoony. There are enough cartoon logos in junior and minor leagues.

Yes, it was their own, but that doesn't mean it's better then the NY Rangers rip-off. If anything the NY ganking serves as a decent place holder until something that's both unique and better comes along. Personally I'm a fan of the 06-07 fauxbacks they wore. Maybe rework the logo a bit and come out with a blue version. I donno.

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=pujw0e59cg1yeplc4txjzeptd

(how many Spoked B variations are out there?)

In the CHL? 2 that I know of (and own.)

With the Edge jersey rollout, I've been getting some good deals on old authentics. My Plymouth alternate arrived today for $170, shipping and tax included. Not a bad deal.

Two ripoffs are too many. The Frontenacs had a unique logo which they replaced for a poorly rendered spoked K, and the Chilliwack Bruins have a neat secondary logo that would look splendid as a primary: quite Pacific Northwestern. If you dig deeper into OHL history, I think the Generals and some other teams also had variations on the spoke. Those sorts of things should be left to organizations that are actually affiliated with the parent clubs. OHL teams should be doing their own thing.

Major-junior hockey is such a fascinating menagerie of logos and names that are sometimes completely awesome, sometimes terrible, and sometimes just really really strange. To wit, you had the pre-Edge revamp London Knights with the best non-NHL identity around (indeed better than some NHL identities), the inexcusably chintzy Sudbury Wolves, and the very puzzling BAIE-COMEAU DRAKKAR. The Drakkar! Rock on, Q-League.

If you dig deeper into OHL history, I think the Generals and some other teams also had variations on the spoke. Those sorts of things should be left to organizations that are actually affiliated with the parent clubs. OHL teams should be doing their own thing.

Which the Generals were at the time... OHL clubs had NHL affiliations or "sponsors" back in the 50s & 60s, this is why you also have the Kitchener Rangers

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

If you dig deeper into OHL history, I think the Generals and some other teams also had variations on the spoke. Those sorts of things should be left to organizations that are actually affiliated with the parent clubs. OHL teams should be doing their own thing.

Which the Generals were at the time... OHL clubs had NHL affiliations or "sponsors" back in the 50s & 60s, this is why you also have the Kitchener Rangers

The Shawinigan Cataractes of the QMJHL were an affiliate of the Bruins. Last year, they had a special jersey that had the Boston logo on the shoulder to pay homage to that.

Two ripoffs are too many. The Frontenacs had a unique logo which they replaced for a poorly rendered spoked K, and the Chilliwack Bruins have a neat secondary logo that would look splendid as a primary: quite Pacific Northwestern. If you dig deeper into OHL history, I think the Generals and some other teams also had variations on the spoke. Those sorts of things should be left to organizations that are actually affiliated with the parent clubs. OHL teams should be doing their own thing.

Major-junior hockey is such a fascinating menagerie of logos and names that are sometimes completely awesome, sometimes terrible, and sometimes just really really strange. To wit, you had the pre-Edge revamp London Knights with the best non-NHL identity around (indeed better than some NHL identities), the inexcusably chintzy Sudbury Wolves, and the very puzzling BAIE-COMEAU DRAKKAR. The Drakkar! Rock on, Q-League.

As soon as Chilliwack unveiled their logos, I've said that their shoulder patch would make a great logo for an alt jersey. I don't know that it is good enough to be a primary but at some point I would like to see it move from the shoulder to the body.

Also, because you are talking about Canada, it would be the Pacific Southwest. :D

Blegh. I thought you guys considered British Columbia part of a greater North American "Pacific Northwest." Blegh indeed.

Right, right, lots of Black Hawks (Portland Winter Hawks still) and Canadiens too. Not too many overtly Maple Leaf-sponsored ones other than the Marlboroughs, right?

Right, right, lots of Black Hawks (Portland Winter Hawks still) and Canadiens too. Not too many overtly Maple Leaf-sponsored ones other than the Marlboroughs, right?

Off the top of my head I can think of the London Nationals and the Verdun Maple Leafs (QMJHL), no idea if they were officially sponsored but they both wore the same logo/uniforms as the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Maple_Leafs_Verdun_1957-58.jpg

You also had the Weyburn Red Wings (WHL) and Hamilton Red Wings representing Detroit

---

Chris Creamer

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished adding a few of the new uniforms to the website. Some are going to take a while with the jersey template and odd numbers (St. Mike's is going to be a bitch to do...)

All the new details make it time consuming to do...with the CHL patch on the back hem of the jersey, all the RBK and OHL patches. I also wanted to put 'C's on the jersey to show where all the teams are placing them in regards to that stupid RBK logo on the front. Many teams are putting them under, or besides. In one case, Oshawa has their "C" above the RBK patch...

Anywho, check them out and let me know what you think. Uploaded are: Barrie, Kingston, Kitchener, London, Niagara, Oshawa, Ottawa, SSM, Saginaw, the Petes, and Windsor.

We're still missing several patches. If anyone has a good shot of the Oshawa shoulder patch, and the Windsor shoulder patch, we can add them to the site

Off the top of my head I can think of the London Nationals and the Verdun Maple Leafs (QMJHL), no idea if they were officially sponsored but they both wore the same logo/uniforms as the Toronto Maple Leafs.

You also had the Weyburn Red Wings (WHL) and Hamilton Red Wings representing Detroit

Didn't Saint Catherine's have a Leafs affiliate as well? Or where they in the AHL? I believe they were called the Saints if I recall.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I was being productive today!

Complete with numbers:

Belleville

Owen Sound

Guelph

complete without numbers:

Sudbury

Sarnia

That leaves just Brampton and St.Mike's left.

I also found sources for the Don Cherry uniforms, and the Rangers' 'Valour' jerseys from two years ago that will find their way to the site soon.

Didn't Saint Catherine's have a Leafs affiliate as well? Or where they in the AHL? I believe they were called the Saints if I recall.

That was AHL, they moved to Newmarket, St. John's and now are in Toronto as the Marlies.

---

Chris Creamer

That was AHL, they moved to Newmarket, St. John's and now are in Toronto as the Marlies.

My mistake.

But another team that wore NHL team colours and logos was the controversial OHA (before the league morphed into the OHL) team the Montreal Junior Canadians. The QMJHL eventually threatened a lawsuit to get them to go to the QMJHL.... here's more on it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_Hockey_League_history#Departure_of_the_Montreal_Junior_Canadiens

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I like the dark Belleville jersey.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Since I didn't work this morning, got some more done;

St. Mike's (minus cresting) and Brampton are both done and on the site. All of the new edge jerseys are now on the webpage. Sanria, Sudbury and St. Mike's are minus the cresting as we don't have the fonts yet.

St. Mike's Remembrance day jerseys are up as well.

Coming soon:

Kingston's Don Cherry night jerseys

Kitchener's 'Valour' jerseys from a few years back

Barrie's blue alternate jersey

Archived