NHL 09-10 Changes

KrazyHorse

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From icethetics...

Just a heads up for next season. Although I'm drawing conclusions based on current marketing efforts by the Vancouver Canucks I think we should look to expect the end of the "orca whale C" logo next season and seeing the stick-in-rink third jersey come into full time use.

Why, you ask? First, the new ownership group renamed operations away from Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment to Canucks Sports. Second, the current third jersey is used exclusively in current marketing and branding efforts, including the team website. In fact, the players are wearing this one whenever they do public appearances, hospital visits, etc.

Third, the stick-in-rink and "Johnny Canuck" logos now dominate team store merchandise and team merchandise available throughout the province. And likely the biggest clue are the huge price reductions and promos offered through the team store encouraging people to buy the current orca whale jersey. The ads even say "orca whale jersey" in ways that clearly distinguish it from the more popular current third. Every week there's a new incentive being advertised on Vancouver sports radio from the team store to sell off this jersey.

Will Canucks fans finally get their wish? All signs are pointing in that direction.

Link

I work at the Canuck team store, and this kind of makes sense. Our blue Orca jerseys being discounted, and were even throwing in a free Johnny Canuck t-shirt with a purchase of one. I also can say that our "stick in the rink" jersey, is out selling the blue Orca jersey almost 2-1.

Hopefully, the next logical step is a third jersey with the full-body Johnny Canuck logo front and center.

I believe someone on here previously theorized that the Orca jerseys were only sticking around through 2010 because of the Olympics, since the arching "Vancouver" on the front would rope in the tourists.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I highly doubt that the Canucks are getting rid of the Orca despite the fact that it is selling less - and for the record I despise that stupid logo.

If the team was getting rid of the logo then why would they spend millions of dollars renovating their dressing room and make the Orca the centre piece?

DEATH TO REEBOK

I don't know if anyone has mentioned anything yet, but the Winter Classic Flyers' jerseys have the black nameplate bar on the back of the replicas for the youth jerseys. I have not yet seen the adult sizes but I am willing to bet they will be the same way...

Yes they do, saw then on black friday

I just saw them and, yes, they still do.

Hopefully, the next logical step is a third jersey with the full-body Johnny Canuck logo front and center.

I believe someone on here previously theorized that the Orca jerseys were only sticking around through 2010 because of the Olympics, since the arching "Vancouver" on the front would rope in the tourists.

I believe I might have postulated that theory, but I also might have stolen it from someone on the radio.

I'm also hoping for a return of the V jerseys, or at the very least, putting the V back on the arms through the striping on an alt. That would be the awesomes.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Hawks announcers are struggling with reading the numbers, which they're usually too good at their jobs to do. This might be a textbook case of a great civilian sweater that isn't such a great in-game sweater. The jerseys may look good, but the team doesn't: giving up two goals to the Blue Jackets through two--one of them to Sami Pahlsson--is the mark of a team far off its game.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Hawks announcers are struggling with reading the numbers, which they're usually too good at their jobs to do. This might be a textbook case of a great civilian sweater that isn't such a great in-game sweater. The jerseys may look good, but the team doesn't: giving up two goals to the Blue Jackets through two--one of them to Sami Pahlsson--is the mark of a team far off its game.

That's strange. I've always felt the two thick outlines and the wide center stripe did plenty to negate the black-on-black issue. And for what it's worth, I had no problem discerning the numbers on an SDTV after 6-ish beers tonight.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The scrapping of the Orca has long been rumoured. On the other hand, as mentioned up thread, the Canucks just spent millions on a state of the art new dressing room, and the orca logo is prominently displayed.

Though I guess, the big logo on the centre of the floor is a rug and probably relatively cheaply removed. This gallery has pics of the new room, and actually, I don't see anything there that probably couldn't be swapped out with simple cosmetic work.

That's strange. I've always felt the two thick outlines and the wide center stripe did plenty to negate the black-on-black issue. And for what it's worth, I had no problem discerning the numbers on an SDTV after 6-ish beers tonight.

I had a hard time telling them apart honestly.

6fQjS3M.png

The Predators sure don't like like the Predators tonight in their new 3rds...

No, they don't... they look a heckuva lot better.

They're wearing the blue alts again tonight with the Wild in town. The spaced-out '90s logo looks a bit out of place on a retro-style jersey obviously inspired by the Wild home and 3rd jerseys, but it still works. I see they even followed the NLL Swarm's lead by dropping gray from the jersey - a welcome move when the Swarm did it, and just as welcome here. (The Preds and Swarm have the same basic color scheme of blue, yellow-gold and silver-gray, though the Preds' blue is slightly darker.)

CCSLC signature.png

Archived