Chicago Bears Grounds Crew Screws Up Field

Mac the Knife

And they're apparently re-sodding the whole damn thing after the concerts anyway.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Not only is it a mess, but it's also the smallest (by capacity) stadium in the NFL. And from what I've read, there's no room for expansion.

It is and there isn't. A Yahoo Sports article ranking the NFL ownership groups had the McCaskeys at #30, below everyone but Al Davis and Mike Brown (the Bengals owner, not the defensive back that gets injured every year). Worse than the Fords, worse than the Yorks, worse than the Lerners, worse than almost everybody, and I largely agree. The crux of the author's argument was that the Bears could exploit their market to unforeseen proportions, and yet they're mostly content to go about business in their own insular sclerotic way:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-ownerrankingspartone09020&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

From a business perspective, no franchise in sports underachieves like this one. The Bears have a storied history, the NFL?s second-largest market all to themselves and, for the first time in forever, a saleable franchise quarterback in Jay Cutler. The brand should be booming; sponsorship revenues should be raining down upon Halas Hall like M.J.?s fadeway jumpers in the mid-?90s. ?They could take that thing and run it to the moon,? one owner says. ?But they get less for what they?ve got than any team in our league.?

Obviously the point of the new Soldier Field is to sell more luxury boxes, but demand for the Bears is such that they could sell another 19,000 seats with relative ease (but good luck finding a place to park). Oh well. At least we'll never have to worry about a blackout! Suck on that, Jacksonville, Phoenix, Oakland, Detroit, half of the league this year.

I've been wondering if the upcoming Olympic bid that Chicago is putting together would result in a new stadium for the Bears...they have to build an "Olympic Stadium" anyway, and maybe they could convert it into a new home for the Bears.

d897a366cc2a27a8465c0d68977a8af8.jpg

"I've sold Olympic stadiums to Montreal, Athens, Beijing, and North Haverbrook."

"Is there a chance the roof could fail to retract and cost the city a billion dollars?"

"I call the big one Bitey."

Monorail! Monorail! Monorail!

Don't be fooled by a proposed "temporary" stadium for the Olympics.

Should Chicago be awarded the games, you'll see a shift to building the new Olympic Stadium north of Madison Street and

it will (like Atlanta) be converted to a baseball park for the Chicago National League team.

You read it here first!

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

Archived