Texas Stars Uniforms

ColeJ

Please explain to me how anything regarding this jersey is "hip-hop". And while we're at it, please explain to me what exactly you think hip-hop is. Should be an entertaining read.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Please explain to me how anything regarding this jersey is "hip-hop". And while we're at it, please explain to me what exactly you think hip-hop is. Should be an entertaining read.

Maybe there isn't anything "hip-hop" to the black jersey, but I'm mainly referring to the gawdy side panel on the white jersey. I tend to equate "Reebokify" with "hip-hopify," so "Reebokification" would have been a better choice of words. I'm probably not alone, but the looks Reebok is putting out has, unfortunately, been associated with the "hip-hop" culture now found the NFL; it's basically an attempt to appeal to younger fans instead of focusing on fans of all ages.

In other words, it seems like Reebok is designing jerseys that would look good on hip-hop stars rather than jerseys that look good on the ice/field/etc. and reflects tradition. The only recent exceptions (in both the NFL and NHL) seem to be teams that want to emphasize their uniform history (Bruins, Canucks, 49ers, etc.) or those that haven't made a drastic change in their uniform yet (Rangers, Blackhawks, Canadiens, Packers, Raiders, etc.).

But then I look at teams with recent changes like the Flames, Blues, Vikings, Chargers, and Bills, and wonder if someone at Reebok thought, "Hey, this would look good on a hip-hop artist, and the kids (mainly teenagers and 20-somethings) love hip-hop, so let's put contrasting side panels and piping on there, because we'll make more money when we try to throw in all this extra stuff."

As for hip-hop, for me, I see it as primarily mainstream or "pop" rap. You know, artists celebrities that get way too much attention and whose songs get played waaaay too much. Artists I would put in this category would be Nelly, Akon, Justin Timberlake (becuase he'll do anything to remain mainstream, like Britney Spears, Madonna, and the like, even if that means selling out). Rap to me is stuff like Dr. Dre, Eminem, Snoop Dogg, Xzibit, Run DMC, Beastie Boys, etc.; artists that didn't (at least in high school when I was more into it) constantly try to be in the spotlight.

It may be a pretty big stretch including Timberlake in there, but the guy tries to do everything he can to be popular. If that means being a Will Ferrel/Ben Stiller wannabe or (ironically) being featured in a single with Snoop Dogg, he'll do it.

That said, that's the unfortunate truth about uniform design today: Designers will design with apperal (and who is considered mainstream ) in mind, not with the actual in-play look or tradition behind it.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Archived