2D- watermelonman

EMERALD AWARD

AWARD_EMERALD.png

2A - Vicfurth‏

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well he entered before he was banned.

i also uploaded it before he was banned and just forgot to remove it i guess.

to be honest, his entry was totally anonymous to everyone else so it is pretty fair really.

he got the second most votes.

being a complete knob-end aside, its a shame he did what he did, he could have well played

a part in the forum.

Need to step up my game, I guess...

Although, looking at the scores, I realize that without Watermelonman (or whatever he decides to call himself today) in the mix, I'd be in the lead...

I'm not complaining or b----ing in any way. However, that is quite a tough pill to swallow.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

I remember a little while back there was a discussion about what defines a "concept." I remember the debate was weighted to the side of "logos, because uniforms are easy to design." While I will agree that logos are the more difficult of the two to design, this challenge proves that uniforms aren't so easy to design as, save for one of two, there wasn't much special in either tier.

The most criticsm I have on this challenge is for the entries which messed up the Union Jack. There were a couple of designs in both tiers that either changed the colours or the flag design when applying it to the uniforms. It was especially noticeable when the flag was used on the home, then the same design used on the away but with the colours swapped. This ended up with the team looking like the Faroe Islands or simply a flag that wasn't British. I think this happened in Elliott's design, which had a great home jersey but the away just used a St George flag, which as a non-English Brit myself I couldn't really vote for. It was really interesting to see how this problem was dealt with, as the traditional American way of using the same template for both home and road uniforms tripped some people up. As a result, I didn't give any votes to a couple of concepts that had far better designs but just wouldn't have worked for the British team.

Now the results are posted I will provide a tiny bit of commentary for my votes.

Firstly I generally preferred blue over red uniforms. I didn't mind the odd attempt at a union flag on the uniforms, but the reason I voted for K as the best in tier 1 was its simplicity. H got into the top three in tier 1 rather reluctantly given that the white jersey had a St Georges cross on it, a symbol of England rather than Britain. But the rest of the set was very strong. Personally I felt that C was by far the strongest design in tier 2.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Whenever I took this challenge on (Tier 2-A) my struggle was finding a design that didn't look like a USA set. What I mean is that it proved difficult to work with a primarily blue set (especially navy blue) and not think "my gosh, America could wear this just as easily".

With that in mind, I thought and thought, tossed around a few ideas. My first idea was actually to try something red/green rather than navy and red, kinda taking a cue from the Patriot:

Tav.jpgsmall.jpg

But I couldn't make that design work without it looking like Mexico, so I switched the dark green to the provided navy. However, the red (which I thought looked closer to crimson than red) and navy still looked like the good ole US of A.

So I brightened up the red and blue to the shades I used, which are similar to the New York Rangers. The main reasoning I had for the red was "Redcoats" again.

As for the blue alt, I wanted to bring the Union Jack to mind without garishly slapping on a bunch of lines, so the white/red/white striping was born.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Vic, I think yours might have been a design I may have voted for if the main uniform color was navy rather than red. I understand the point about it being similar to the USA, and I do quite like your design, and I think the white jersey with the navy pants would be pretty good, and the alternate is good. I think there is a lot to like in the set, I just would have preferred a navy home shirt, which was a negative to me on a jersey that didn't otherwise scream 'Great Britain'.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I can see that. I was actually surprised so many went with red jerseys (even watermelon whatever; that still chaps me that he beat me, lol).

The red/green would have been quite the unique take on it, but it did look a lot like Mexico, haha.

I must say I have enjoyed participating in the last two challenges, but I feel rather humbled by them. I thought I was pretty good at this stuff, but I have missed the mark on both challenges. I have been very impressed with the designs that have been submitted. I think I may have to step up my game or possibly drop to Tier 2.

The most criticsm I have on this challenge is for the entries which messed up the Union Jack. There were a couple of designs in both tiers that either changed the colours or the flag design when applying it to the uniforms. It was especially noticeable when the flag was used on the home, then the same design used on the away but with the colours swapped. This ended up with the team looking like the Faroe Islands or simply a flag that wasn't British. I think this happened in Elliott's design, which had a great home jersey but the away just used a St George flag, which as a non-English Brit myself I couldn't really vote for. It was really interesting to see how this problem was dealt with, as the traditional American way of using the same template for both home and road uniforms tripped some people up. As a result, I didn't give any votes to a couple of concepts that had far better designs but just wouldn't have worked for the British team.

Now the results are posted I will provide a tiny bit of commentary for my votes.

Firstly I generally preferred blue over red uniforms. I didn't mind the odd attempt at a union flag on the uniforms, but the reason I voted for K as the best in tier 1 was its simplicity. H got into the top three in tier 1 rather reluctantly given that the white jersey had a St Georges cross on it, a symbol of England rather than Britain. But the rest of the set was very strong. Personally I felt that C was by far the strongest design in tier 2.

Yeah, then I think my lack of research hurt me, I just remember the England national team having a red cross on white background for soccer, so I thought it was acceptable, but I was wrong obviously. My goal was just to provide a really modern take on what the Union Jack could look like, because the description of the contest indicated a revolutionary design, so I would have found it hard to vote for anything traditional. I think my home effort ended up translating better.

Yeah, then I think my lack of research hurt me, I just remember the England national team having a red cross on white background for soccer, so I thought it was acceptable, but I was wrong obviously. My goal was just to provide a really modern take on what the Union Jack could look like, because the description of the contest indicated a revolutionary design, so I would have found it hard to vote for anything traditional. I think my home effort ended up translating better.

well therein lies the distinction.

the english flag (george cross) is a part on the design, superimposed over both the scottish cross (of st andrew) and the cross of st patrick (ireland).

10142363.jpg

the only place not represented is wales, but at the time of union (and to all intents and purposes, still today) was a principality of england. a car-park for cheshire.

its a strange paradox in that whilst represented under it, scots tend to hate the union flag due to the historical representation (and the fact they are at the back!).

this is obviously true for the separatists in northern ireland. however you wouldnt use a the flag of the lone star state on an usa strip eveni tho it makes a tidy cut down of the stars

and stripes and you wouldnt use a george cross to represent the uk.

I must say I have enjoyed participating in the last two challenges, but I feel rather humbled by them. I thought I was pretty good at this stuff, but I have missed the mark on both challenges. I have been very impressed with the designs that have been submitted. I think I may have to step up my game or possibly drop to Tier 2.

Please do not judge yourself on the results of a contest on THIS board. You see the stuff that gets praised in the concepts section right? You've done some stellar work, and you will continue to do so. These contest results aren't based on any particular criteria, just who likes this one or that one best.

Keep doing what you do, logoman.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Β 

Vic, I think yours might have been a design I may have voted for if the main uniform color was navy rather than red. I understand the point about it being similar to the USA, and I do quite like your design, and I think the white jersey with the navy pants would be pretty good, and the alternate is good. I think there is a lot to like in the set, I just would have preferred a navy home shirt, which was a negative to me on a jersey that didn't otherwise scream 'Great Britain'.

Obviously not popular based on the voting, but that's why I added a light blue to my scheme in order to differentiate my Brits from the Yanks. Blimey!

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

Obviously not popular based on the voting, but that's why I added a light blue to my scheme in order to differentiate my Brits from the Yanks. Blimey!

I like your concept! The numbers are a bit wide but overall, I enjoyed it!

Archived