Gophers in Gold

Bmac

Not bad but not great. I would have worn the traditional maroon on gold but some teams like to be special.

Yeah, special like the olympics.

I have a bigger problem with the useless "point at a catalog" piping template, but I guess we all just have to get used to that.

One of the all-time greatest uniforms in history is the 50's LA Rams... athletic gold jerseys over WHITE pants. Why does no one try this now?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not bad but not great. I would have worn the traditional maroon on gold but some teams like to be special.

I have a bigger problem with the useless "point at a catalog" piping template, but I guess we all just have to get used to that.

One of the all-time greatest uniforms in history is the 50's LA Rams... athletic gold jerseys over WHITE pants. Why does no one try this now?

I'm not sure how this is a "point at a catalog" template. I think the only team I've seen in this design is Minnesota (maybe I'm wrong, but none I can think of off the top of my head.) But if you want "point at a catalog" templates, check out your sig. Both teams are wearing the same striping design. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying that every team in the 60s didn't have unique designs.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Can I sue U. Minnesota for aesthetic rape?

lol.

Probably because it sucks. Gold ("athletic" or "vegas") is IMO too close to white to have both play a major part in the uniform. They clash. This is the reason why I think that teams with gold / yellow / silver helmets need to also have either matching pants or dark-secondary-colored pants.

Only exception to this is when a team like the saints has gold helmets / pants, but is forced by a mandate to wear white jerseys. Actually, I wish there was a way they could wear vegas-gold jerseys instead of white, and put on some black pants for road games.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The big question I have: If you're opening your brand-new stadium, which has been marketed as going back to tradition, being on campus and all that... why would you wear an alternate look?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Can I sue U. Minnesota for aesthetic rape?

lol.

Probably because it sucks. Gold ("athletic" or "vegas") is IMO too close to white to have both play a major part in the uniform. They clash. This is the reason why I think that teams with gold / yellow / silver helmets need to also have either matching pants or dark-secondary-colored pants.

Only exception to this is when a team like the saints has gold helmets / pants, but is forced by a mandate to wear white jerseys. Actually, I wish there was a way they could wear vegas-gold jerseys instead of white, and put on some black pants for road games.

Wait, wait... not to bring up an old fight :D but you think gold and white are too close to work together but the Seahawks uglyblue and uglyblue is fine?

Yeah, because they're part of the same color family (for lack of the proper technical term). I wouldn't recommend they go with a slate blue helmet and navy pants, or navy jersey though, but I don't think it'd be horrible.

Now the Eagles green helmet / black jersey would be a better example. That combo doesn't work.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

e16755f704ae4e4fac0cbcf.jpg

I may be alone in this, but I seriously don't see what's so bad about these, unless there's an innate hate (there's that word again) of (athletic) gold jerseys circulating around these parts.

But then, this is coming from someone who's used to watching Bethune-Cookman and Tuskegee University, two schools with a similar color scheme and, up until recently, damn-near similar uniforms, from a color-matching perspective.

There is an innate hatred of any monochrome uniform set...except for all white, which is supposed to be "classic" and "clean" or some bull-ish like that.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I may be alone in this, but I seriously don't see what's so bad about these, unless there's an innate hate (there's that word again) of (athletic) gold jerseys circulating around these parts.

For the record, I think the yellow/athletic gold jersey is woefully underused in football. I just think it's overkill when paired with matching pants. I'd be all about this look if they'd use maroon pants instead.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

For the record, I think the yellow/athletic gold jersey is woefully underused in football. I just think it's overkill when paired with matching pants. I'd be all about this look if they'd use maroon pants instead.

Agreed. Grambling and Southern have done it well:

GSU+RB+Frank+Warren.jpg

southern-football-2-550x370.jpg

87Redskins.png

I'm not sure how this is a "point at a catalog" template. I think the only team I've seen in this design is Minnesota (maybe I'm wrong, but none I can think of off the top of my head.) But if you want "point at a catalog" templates, check out your sig. Both teams are wearing the same striping design. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying that every team in the 60s didn't have unique designs.

Fair point but the 60's template looked good and that's the difference. I'm sure there were many variations of leisure suits and parachute pants in the 70's and 80's but that did not change the fact that the overall look was ridiculous. At the time, people loved it. Looking back people now say "What the :censored: was I thinking?"

I've said many times on this board and I'll say it again; there's a reason the blue pinstriped suit has been around forever, class never goes out of style. The piping and weird stripes on uniforms these days are simply the parachute pants and pastel Miami Vice suits of this era. We saw it in baseball in the 70's and 80's. I guess it's football's turn to go through an ugly uniform phase. We are in the midst of a "what the :censored: were they thinking?" phase in football attire. And that's what has led us to these awful yellow Minnesota uniforms.

It'll pass.

BB52Big.jpg

Why in hell would Minny wear white pants under a yellow gold jersey and maroon helmets. First all it would be ugly as :censored:, but even worse, it would be using white just for the sake of using white. Lord knows there is entirely too much of that going on nowadays already.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived